Mmm, lemony goodness

I don't bake much (slice 'n' bake cookies, anyone?) but there are 2 delicious desserts I can make from scratch: apple pie and lemon bars.

I tend to make lemon bars mostly in the summer. They're just so light & refreshing, perfectly tart. Our neighbors have a lemon tree that I am so jealous of. Instead of stealing their lemons in the middle of the night, which I've been very tempted to do, I buy mine from the store ;) I can't remember where I originally found this recipe, but I've tweaked it a bit. Yummy lemon bars everytime!




CRUST:

1 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c confectioner's (powdered) sugar
1/8 tsp salt
4 oz (1 stick) unsalted butter (cold), cut into small pieces

FILLING:
2 eggs
1 tsp real vanilla extract
1 c superfine sugar
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp salt
2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1/4 c freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2 medium-sized lemons)
**I use whatever lemons I can find, but if you want a less tart-tasting lemon bar, use Meyer lemons.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray an 8-inch square pan (I use Pam for Baking w/ Flour spray).
To make crust:
Combine dry ingredients in a food processor. Add butter pieces and pulse until mixture is "pebbly". Press evenly into the bottom of your prepared pan. Bake for 20 min., or until lightly golden. Set aside.
****It might not look completely done when you pull it out, but the crust will brown as it sits. Also, it will cook more once it goes back in the oven w/ the filling.****
To make filling:
In a bowl, whisk together eggs, vanilla extract, sugar, flour, & salt. Whisk in lemon zest and juice until well combined. Pour over crust (crust can still be warm). Bake 15-20 min. or until filling is just set (doesn't jiggle when you shake the pan). Cool completely before serving. Dust w/ powdered sugar.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I HAVE to make those!! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~