Seashells by the seashore

I've always wanted to decorate a room in a "cottage by the sea" look. I just love the pops of white/cream and pearlescent textures, but feared it would look too theme-y or just strange, considering we live in a landlocked state. Then I saw an episode of Oprah where designer Nate Berkus said: ."This may surprise you, America, but I believe that every room should have a piece of sea life." Well, if Nate thinks so, then that's good enough for me......


Lately I've been noticing a lot of sea-inspired accessories out there. These pieces have just a hint of glamour to them, don't you think? I'm thinking the key is to incorporate a few pieces throughout the home or showcase one magnificent focal piece.

Toss some starfish/shells in a tall glass vase. Display a beautiful piece of coral or driftwood on the mantle or entryway table. Scatter beach glass in a pretty bowl. Or hang a capiz chandelier or mirror. This way the sea cottage look won't hit people in the face when they walk into the home.

Some of my favorites of the moment:








5 comments:

  1. I'm with you--if Nate says it's doable, go for it. I really like the coral look. And that sea glass is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving the subtle beachy look right now too. Those are great inspiration pics... I hadn't thought about using pieces of seaglass. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love me some seashells. I have them everywhere even though I don't live on the water (close, but not on).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, that pillow alone is yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~