football frenzy

When the fall season comes to town, several things happen around the Freckles Chick household:

--Football (college and pro) becomes our way of life. We live in 'Bronco Country' so there's really no way around it.
--Mr. FC is consumed by his Fantasy Football leagues and I become a Fantasy Football widow.
--Chili is considered a required food group.

Decorating and home improvement projects came to a temporary halt this past weekend as we had friends over for the big game. Every school has their big interstate rivalry, and our alma mater is no different. When we moved out to the Denver area 8 yrs ago, I had no idea there was a such a massive contingent of Iowans in this lovely area. It's like we all emerge from the woodworks around the time of the big Iowa vs. Iowa State game, and the tradition around this game has reached a feverish pitch. We've moved beyond the beads, foam fingers, and face paint ......and onto sweaters emblazoned with our college logo for our dogs (they love these, we swear).

Let me just clarify that 99 % of us are University of Iowa alums. You bet we heckle the hell out of the 1% who made the mistake of going to ISU, but we don't judge, at least not to your face (I can't promise anything once the beer starts flowing and the behind-your-back whispering gets out of control). Granted, the Hawkeyes haven't won a major bowl game in recent memory (USC we are not), you can't squash the Big Ten pride amongst our group of friends.

In order to avoid making this post all about football, I thought I'd share my super easy pork green chili recipe (this is a soupier chili, although there's a healthy amount of chunky veggies in it):

1 lb pork, cubed
1 green bell pepper, roughly chopped
1 container of fresh, sliced mushrooms
1/2 red onion, roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 bay leaves
1 small can fire-roasted green chiles
15 oz. can black beans, drained & rinsed
15 oz. can red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
15 oz. can corn, drained
28 oz. can green chile enchilada sauce
1 packet of chili seasoning
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
3/4 c. of low sodium chicken broth
your choice of hot sauce to taste
salt & pepper to taste
(cheese, sour cream, oyster crackers, lime for garnishing)

Brown pork in skillet with some olive oil. Drain fat if necessary.
Combine meat and all other ingredients in crockpot. Stir to incorporate seasonings and ingredients. Cook on HIGH for 2.5 hours. Stir after 1 hour and season to taste. Serves ~10 people.
What about you all? Any other alma mater rivalries out there?


  1. My parents are Iowa grads - and I always pictured the U of Iowa to be a haystack. But on my college tour many moons ago, we checked out Iowa while cruising down I-80 and I couldn't believe how beautiful it was.

    I'm a CU girl, so we've got the CU - CSU game to start every football season, and then Nebraska for Thanksgiving. Damn Huskers.

  2. For the longest time, my coworkers didn't know the diff between U. of Iowa & U. of Idaho....until I set them straight.

    I miss the beautiful campus, although CU's campus puts ours to shame!

    Damn Huskers is right. We don't get to play them, but we've always had an unspoken hatred for them. I don't ask questions, I just join in the heckling =)

  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

  4. my husband is a vol. I am a dawg. we got married last year on the day they played and to this very second, I consider it his wedding gift that tennesse won.


    p.s. freckles - you know the animal clothing is quite scary - warn a sister!

  5. HA!! Sorry K, I should have posted a disclaimer to precede the dogs w/ sweaters pics. Just when you thought you had me figured out, I go and reveal my affinity for dog sweaters....

  6. Okay, even though I'm a Gophers fan and it goes against my grain to say this, the dog sweaters are adorable.

  7. Ddayum, girl! That looks delicious! Awww, Hiro is hungry too!

  8. Sadly (at least this year) I'm a diehard Michigan fan... Although as with every year it's a successful year when we beat Ohio State. I remember when I lived in Michigan reading a sports column about how he was advocating an invasion of Ohio to reclaim the Toledo Strip from Ohio and using the Michigan-Ohio State game as cover for the invasion.

    Go Blue. I'd normally put an exclamation mark there... but we just had our asses handed to us.

    BTW... the naked/outside story is rather simple... my wife dared me to grill in the nude in the backyard...

  9. As an Iowa native who grew up 20 min from ISU campus I must say...Go Hawks! I didn't have the privalage of going to school there but I still route them on from afar. Or this year from a bar & grill in the heart of ISU country...literally in Ames!

    Around here (KC) Big 12 rules and the Mizzou (where my husband went) vs. KU is a HUGE rivalry.

    Sadly my little D2 school doesn't inspire much school spirit.

  10. I love the school spirit. My college sucked. : (

  11. Well if we're talking about alma maters...

    The Ball State Fighting Cardinals... well we most of the time suck. But we're 3-0 and baby!

  12. LOL @ university doesn't even have a football team. How sad is that?

    Chili. Yum.

  13. Yummy Chili recipe!! I didn't know you were an Iowa fan! I went there and still live there. ;) My hubby is an Iowa! GO HAWKS!!

  14. Just stumbled across your blog recently and I'm making my way through your posts. I love your gorgeous home!

    Anyways, just wanted to comment on this particular post because I see that you're an Iowa fan (I'm from Iowa City!). Go Hawks!!


Let's get weird up in here.
~Freckles Chick~