Counter intuitive

Mr. FC and I have a romantical weekend planned......we're installing our new kitchen countertops, sink and faucet. Yep, I'm shaving my legs for this one.

So we ordered these countertops a few weeks ago from Home Depot. They're laminate. *GASP!!* Since our current counters are original to the house (late '70's decrepit laminate), I swore that we would go for the gold and purchase a natural stone countertop (namely soapstone like in Mrs.Limestone's stunning kitchen). Yeeaaahhhh, I was talked down by the Hubs and even the Home Depot lady. Here's why:
  • Our kitchen is tiny and you'd think a small area like this would cost less to install granite, soapstone, etc. It wasn't in our case. Actually the bigger the kitchen, the more you get for your money when it came to countertop material + installation, we realized.
  • This isn't our forever home but it's also not a fix 'n' flip either. So our mentality has always been "Project Universal Update" meaning our goals are to update our home so that it's comfortable for us to live in but also to be appealing to a seller, say, a couple of years from now.
  • Small kitchen, small budget! We're trying to be economical about every project by trying to do it ourselves and of course, laminate is way more manageable installation-wise. Thank goodness for Google and our handy friends.
So that brings me back to the laminate. Laminate has come a long way, my friends, and I was so pleasantly surprised by our selection when it arrived. Sleek, monochromatic, and low-profile. So I know we can't place a hot pan directly on the surface..........or have the undermount sink of my dreams ..........or brag about going to pick out that perfect stone slab. Perhaps we'll get the chance in our next house? Crossing fingers.

Formica 6220 Smoke Quarstone (without flash)

with flash (note: color in real life is halfway between these 2 shades)

Thoughts? You know I can't get enough of your comments!

18 comments:

  1. Not only is your weekend romantical, based on that laminate, it's also going to be HOTT!. :) I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sassy! Don't forget a bottle of wine and some Jodeci. I think your selection is fabulous, I can't wait to see it installed!

    An efficient, affordable AND stylish upgrade. That's the best kind of upgrade IMO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LMAO! You ladies are hilarious. Nothing says HOTT like some baby-makin' Jodeci music. OMG! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It doesn't really matter what its made of - its how it looks. Once its all installed, you are going to love having something new and sleek.

    Can't wait to see the after photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ditto on what Mrs. L said.

    I love it. Oh and make sure you get a baby outta this weekend...knock one outta the park girl! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you made a great choice.I like the counters. We didn't get stone either (soft sob) because of the price and size of hour kitchen.

    We found out that putting that much money into the countertop would be counterproductive (so to speak) for resale. Your's will look fab and you will love it. Promise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. FC - I L-O-V-E it. Awesome choice, it's going to look fantastic in your kitchen. We're rocking the laminate for now and it's not anywhere near as sleek as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ITA with Mrs L! I love it! Bow chicka bow wow! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girl, you're going to rock anything you get!

    I'm excited to see "after" pics! Enjoy that romantic weekend of yours...they don't get much better than countertop installation ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you post the name and brand of this laminate? I was just on the D&R board yesterday looking for tips as we are also going to install new laminate in the next couple of weeks. (Gasp again!) I like the color--what did you pick?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here's hoping for a really level weekend at your house. Nothing says date-spoiler like un-level or un-square cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kelsey!
    We went with the Formica brand color 6220 (there should be a link right above the first photo). Hope that helps and good luck w/ your project, too. Would love to see pics when you're done.

    Katie~ We're hoping and praying that they're level, too. Otherwise, it's going to be a looong weekend =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like my kind of weekend! Love the color choice! We too opted for laminate in our kitch for the same reason. Not our forever home, but was in definate need of an update! Can't wait to see pics, I know it will be fab!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I like your choice in color and material, I am thinking it will look very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it! Very sleek and will look good in a small kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhh...I love it. Can't wait to see it installed. I've been toying with the idea of black granite for our kitchen, but like you and Mr. FC, this isn't our forever house and with the economy the way it is (especially in Detroit), why throw away even more money with granite.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great pick freckles! We just picked out the same exact counter for our kitchen! I was a hard sell on laminate but this one seemed like the closest to black granite look a like that we could find. Hope you love them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Silly! There is nothing to be defensive about with your choice. You made a super smart one, and it's going to look good and BE good. Lol about shaving your legs for this one.

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~