SATC

I must be the last person on earth to see this movie. I didn't have the opportunity to get swept up in the original Sex and the City phenomenon for one simple reason: we didn't have HBO (I am however hooked on Lipstick Jungle, as evidenced by this long-ago post). Fast forward to last night. Mr. FC was out of town for a work conference, so I cruised by the store to pick up dinner for one and happened upon one of those RedBox DVD stands. The Sex and the City movie was just beckoning me, flaunting its $1 appeal.



So I sat down to this movie with no expectations at all (having no background info on the characters, except that they have a penchant for designer duds and kick-ass stilettos). I'm not sure which is to blame, the wine or PMS, but I laughed......I cried......a good time was had by all (me and the dog).

The scene that stuck with me was the "love letter scene", in which Carrie and Big are in bed and she reads from a book of real love letters written by such notable figures as Beethoven, Napoleon, and the like. Naturally, being the dorky bookworm that I am, I jump online to google if such a book does exist. Not exactly. The closest thing to exist is this book.

Love letters seem to be a shadow of the past, huh? And so (if you're still with me) as I turn to answer a "Luv u much!" text message from the Husband, I leave you with this excerpt from Beethoven's real-life letter to his love, taken from my favorite scene in the movie.

Though still in bed, my thoughts go out to you, my Immortal Beloved, now and then joyfully, then sadly, waiting to learn whether or not fate will hear us.
I can live only wholly with you or not at all. Yes, I am resolved to wander so long away from you until I can fly to your arms and say that I am really at home with you, and can send my soul enwrapped in you into the land of spirits.
No one else can ever possess my heart............be calm, only by a calm consideration of our existence can we achieve our purpose to live together.
Ever thine.
Ever mine.

Ever ours.

Perhaps not as dreamy as Big's "I can build you a better closet......Welcome home, baby." but lovely all the same =)

9 comments:

  1. Well, you're not the last. Still haven't seen the movie - although I did watch the show from day one. Glad you loved it - I'm gonna have to find myself a few spare hours and a redbox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO glad you loved the movie!! I too didn't have HBO and only recently got hooked on the series. It's now my absolute favorite show! I started to follow Lipstick Jungle last season and have been watching this season. Different direction than SITC but still great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got hooked on SATC after I graduated from college and ordered all the DVDs through Netflix. I was so excited to see the movie--and wasn't disappointed! Glad you liked it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love letters are lost and I can only pray that boys find them again - cause nothing makes me a big softie like poetry about how a heart feels for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay... I'm so relieved to know I'm not the last person in America to see this movie! I just watched it two weekends ago and bawled my eyes out at the scene in the street where Carrie hits Big with the bouquet after he stands her up at the altar.
    Movie was MUCH better than expected.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agreem, these men-folk need to bring love letters back!

    Me~I bawled at that scene, too! When she demolished her bouquet and turned to hug Charlotte....so heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To answer your Mountains question - we just did the Peak to Peak highway between Blackhawk and Estes Park- stop at Nederland if you do it, though, Ned to Estes wasn't great. It was definitely beautiful - made me appreciate living in CO again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. *sniff, sniff* I think it's my hormones that's making me so weepy lately! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SWOON! I loved this fricken movie so much! I think I might even watch it again right now. ;) So glad to hear you liked it!

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~