A Christmas (tree) Story

A little background:
1. This is our first tree together. In the past, we simply didn't have the space for a tree or we were always traveling for the holidays; so why bother with putting one up? We've amassed a somewhat kooky collection of ornaments over the years that we've never had the chance to display.
2. I grew up with Buddhist parents so we didn't own a Christmas tree. Thus this tradition/process is unfamiliar territory to me.

I decided to get festive and decorate the tree all by myself to surprise the Husband. So I opened the fresh box of shiny balls (*giggle, snort*) and began to hang them on the branches, terribly crushing each one in order to thread it through the tiny little loop that topped each ornamental ball. Well, this made the balls jut out at odd, awkward angles instead of "floating" delicately on the branches like I've seen.

Huh, I thought to myself. Utterly bewildered, I peeked inside the box again to make sure I didn't miss something. Shrugging, I continued. Mr. FC saw the tree before I was even 1/3 of the way done and gave me a look that implied "You've finally sniffed too many renovation fumes."

Him: Did you forget the little hangers for the balls?
Me: What? What the hell? Am I supposed to make those?

So, nobody told the Buddhist girl that she needed little loop hangers for those balls. Lucky for us we had a spool of wire handy.

Good times.


(fioretta & Michael! Can you spot your ornaments in the blurry pic? =o)

16 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that is hilarious!! Thanks for the laugh. :)

    And your tree looks gorgeous - I love the blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! That's adorable! I'm glad you figured it out. The tree looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. funniest sentence - "nobody told the buddhist girl that she needed little loop hangers for those balls". It looks FAAHHbulous dahling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so adorable! I'm half-tempted now to e-mail you about some (kind of) similar stories from my own family. Your tree looks gorgeous, and I do see something familiar. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your first tree - it looks great. I love the blue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! Yay for your 1st Christmas Tree! At least you get to completely decorat your tree. Mine is only the top half!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is the cutest thing I have ever heard. You must have been so perplexed!

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  8. So funny! Paperclips make amazing loops as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. FC! You are too funny.

    The tree looks great! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL, shiny balls and forgotten ornament hooks. You are too much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. P.S. I see the "D" ornament...very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the blue and white color scheme!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL! You are too cute! And your tree looks great--I love the blue!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh, I love the blue and silver ornaments. Congrats on the tree - that's a big step!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hahaha!!! adorable. The tree is sparkly and so purty! lol

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~