Work in progress: Living Room

Not going to lie--I've put off our living room for awhile now. 1 year and 3 months to be exact.
I would love a glamorous living room, but comfort and function (nothing wrong with that) are taking precedence at the moment due to the following realities:

1) Until we get the family room finished downstairs, our living room has to be multi-functional--huge TV and all. Which we had to stick (temporarily) in the atrium alcove because of the room's odd layout.
2) We have a ginormous hairy dog whose clumsy body is the ultimate party foul. No breakables, glass coffee table, or sharp corners present if we can help it. It's like having a toddler around.
3) Until the "man cave" is finished downstairs, this room has to be comfortable enough for Mr. FC to lounge around in whilst watching the annual steamy Victoria's Secret Fashion Show masculine programs.
4) We do live in Colorado, so rustic elements are inherent, whether I love it or not. Hence the wooden beam and the odd atrium alcove that is the bain of my existence.

So I'm finally tackling the challenge of pulling this room together. With the aforementioned disclaimers in mind, I present to you our work-in-progress living room.

This is the first room we painted when we moved in and it's one of those colors that changes with the light. Sunny=warm, latte color; cloudy=cool, latte color with grey undertones.
Wall color is Valspar Arid Plains (matte). My favorite piece: the rustic/glam starburst!
Tufted storage ottomans from Target. I just adore this gold faux croc tray from Home Goods.
And of course, the Domino book and the latest issue of House Beautiful.
*crossing fingers that this mag will not fall victim to the flailing economy like so many others*
Lamp base from Home Goods and shade from Pier 1:

To do:
*replace the fireplace insert and tiles
*buy new sofa (maybe?)
*buy some dog-proof accent/console tables
*convert the atrium alcove into bay windows and a window seat with storage underneath
*Would love 2 of these Z Gallerie Labyrinth pillows for the sofa.
But we have way bigger fish to fry, so I'm content with how it looks. For now.......... the fun never ends! For the Husband to agree to all this, I'm convinced I'll need to get him extremely inebriated. No worries; it's gotten me this far hasn't it? =)

*Also stalking this lovely floor lamp from Pier 1:

{Just for giggles: this is the only before pic we have, taken before the Brazilian cherry hardwoods were installed.}

35 comments:

  1. How can you say this room is a WIP? It's absolutely fantastic! I love that it's so stylish yet so livable. That is such a hard balance to achieve but you did it! LOL @ Hiro! I love the wall color, FC! Were painting this weekend and I love this color! Decisions, decisions..... Each piece you've brought into the room is just perfect! And, I love, love, love the shade on the lamp, pillows and floor lamp you picked out! Such a fantastic eye for the details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful, and very inspirational to me. I need to do soemthing about my l. room's layout, and your pictures are super-inspiring.

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, stunning! Seriously, this is an amazing transformation. LOVE every bit of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is absolutely fabulous! Everything fits together so well. The chairs look gorgeous and the mirror fits so well! You have done an amazing job! Work in progress I think not!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow wow wow wow. i think it looks amazing. i had to come out of my anonymous stalker-mode to comment on how fabulous it turned out :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl, give yourself more credit this room is gorgeous! I love the lamp, the mirror looks stunning above the fireplace, and well the paint color...I just might have to find another room to paint.

    So in love with this room---you did it again! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks beautiful!!! That mirror look amazing over the fireplace. So jealous. I'm also loving that lamp. I must make a trip to Home Goods this weekend. I'm missing out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that room IS glamorous!!

    i totally hear you on the big clumsy dog - but you've overcome that much better than we have!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely lovely lovely. Such a gorgeous space you have! That mantel is flawless from that awesome mirror to the flower votives and the glass vase. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You call this in progress? I call it perfect! Looks great as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it looks great just as it is! And I love the table lamp. I've been searching for something similar that doesn't cost me a ton.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks so great! I love those Z Gallerie pillows - I've been eyeing them recently as well!

    Love the table lamp also. I really wish we had a Home Goods nearby. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with everyone else -- this is definitely not a WIP! It looks swanky and amazing.

    I totally understand the dilemma of making a space man and dog friendly, it is not an easy task!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did a great job. The room looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Are you kidding? Where is the work in progress? It looks ahhhhmazing. Seriously. I'm realizing how much help my poor little living room needs.

    And, I do love that fireplace. oh, how I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If this is your work in progress, I don't think I want you to see my house ever. This is beautiful, stunning, and so chic. If I had a bigger vocabulary, I'd continue with the synonyms, but alas, I only know three words for "beautiful". Nice work FC, you can come make my house a "work in progress" anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you could see my face now, it would resemble a tomato *blushing*

    Thank you for your ultra kind, generous comments! I guess I'm always my own toughest critic; plus I do value all of your opinions immensely (and after following your blogs, your genuinely great taste)! I'm truly flattered =)

    Sarah~ Thanks for coming out of anonymous stalker-mode, LOL! I hope I live up to your expectations =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Much like the others I am impressed with what you've done with this space and it inspires me to do more with my living room.

    Can I ask where you found the gorgeous mirror above your fireplace?

    ReplyDelete
  19. That sunburst mirror totally makes the room! Love that white lamp and the fireplace is so crisp and clean looking :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this room....I think it looks awesome! I would love for my living room to look half this good!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The sunburst and the gold tray both up the GLAM factor by 110 percent!

    BTW, I LOVED Time Traveler's Wife, which I see on your ottoman. Hope you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love love love love love your living room! This is exactly what I want mine to look like. It is so warm and inviting and looks posh at the same time. Can I have it?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely love it. You can't even tell its the same house based on your before photo.

    PS: I am totally stealing your spraypainted branch in a vase idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love what you've done with the space. Just painting the fireplace makes a huge difference. It looks so fresh and modern, but also very cozy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Me~ The starburst mirror was another Home Goods find. The one in my area is hit or miss, so I sort of stalk the store on a weekly basis. Hopefully you have one nearby b/c you never know what you could find!

    MrsL~ Steal away! I'm honored =)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love how you create such a beautiful high-end look without spending millions. On top of that your room has a great personality! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Are you honestly begging for house guests? :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW!! The room looks so cozy and inviting, I am totally coveting your sunburst and love your upholstered chairs. Thanks for stopping by and letting me know you painted your cabinets. Keep checking back for an update.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful! Those chairs are FABULOUS. where are they from?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Work in progress, my butt! Your living room is FAB-U-LOUS! I want it! Come fix up mine for me, please!?
    And, I knew you'd comment on that lamp :) My sis found it at a thrift store and gave it to me. It is gorg. I just need to find a place for it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looks awesome! Did u hear Domino did go out of business? Sara's sister did a lot of their photography :(

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am shocked to discover that you live in Colorado as well! I tend to associate this laid back, fresh style (which I always see in magazines, books, and blogs and absolutely adore)with warmer climates and get stuck using too many "mountain lodge"-type elements in my Denver decor. So refreshing to see such a wonderful use of space and color by a fellow Coloradan!

    ReplyDelete
  33. To my new visitors: thank you for dropping by!! The more the merrier =)

    Leslie~The chairs were a fab find from a gently-used furniture store a few yrs ago. I lurve them, esp. for their uniqueness. I've seen similar versions at Urban Outfitters & Crate & Barrel though.

    MsC~ Yay another Coloradan! I agree, this rustic state of ours forces us to be more creative!
    I do love a good challenge.=)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful room, FC--it's just gorgeous! LOVE your new mirror. And you know I'm a total sucker for those chairs you found! :swoon.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I only wish my living room would EVER look this good.

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~