Outside of the box

(No, this isn't another post about my bathroom! I think I've had enough of mine for a while.)

I received an email from a dear reader, Michelle, who wanted to know where I got my crystal Q-tip container from. This fancy schmancy piece came from..........Pier 1 Imports! It's actually variegated glass and I found it in their kitchen wares section because it's.........a sugarbowl. But at only $6.00 and sized perfectly to hold little cotton swabs, I think it was destined to come live with me.


I think at one time or another, we all have been forced to think creatively when it comes to finding non-traditional uses for items. While I am the complete opposite of a packrat, I can't help but hang onto to these little bowls and catchall dishes that I've accumulated over the years. The green soapdish has a home on my nightstand for my ring and earrings (I can't sleep with stuff on, not even my ring.). And the little white bowl to the left used to be a dip bowl but I needed something to hold garlic bulbs in the kitchen, so there it is.

I also use the blue-tinged glass plate in the upper right corner as a "catcher" for our pepper grinder, to catch all the little wayward pepper flakes that drive a clean freak like me crazy. Hanging in my closet is a wall-mounted coat rack from which I've draped my necklaces and bracelets like this. I've turned an old plastic pasta container like this into a vessel for holding plastic grocery bags and doggie bags for picking up poop (I know, refined huh?). A cookie jar houses Hiro's dog treats.

I have a teapot that I hardly use, but this got me thinking of using it as a vase:

I'm hardly the first to think of these uses, I'm sure.
Care to share any of yours? Please do!!

7 comments:

  1. Great post girlie...I cant sleep with jewelry on either. As soon as I get home I take off all rings, bracelts and watch..I wear diamond studs that are screwed in so they are the only thing I wear to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tea with the flowers is too cute! It is a great idea and will look great for spring

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Q-tip jar. And everything else. I am terrible at reusing things so I have no ideas to contribute...I'm a Boulder misfit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the soap dish for your ring. And, that tea kettle is A-dorable.

    I often use my pretty glass pitcher as a vase for flowers. I don't use it enough and it looks really fresh as a vase. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I picked up a cute little white ceramic bowl from Target for my earring studs. Then I use a tea cup from the same line to hang my drop earrings on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I so covet that teapot--for flowers, not tea. Is it available, old, what? So cute...

    ReplyDelete
  7. love these ideas - you so clevah!

    and I love seeing the bits and pieces you have in your home - makes me feel oh-so-close to you...in a totally non-stalkerish way :)

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~