Scheming: the kitchen

Remember our little kitchen?

No, we're not building a bigger one =). But I do have some updates on the agenda. And by "I", I really mean "Mr. FC". I just hover helpfully and comment when something doesn't look level.

{1. Add crown moulding to cabinets!!}
{2. Knock out a non-load bearing wall}
{3. Finally tile the backsplash with mini marble tiles}
{4. Rip out the tiny weird cabinet above stove & replace with floating shelves} --->Can anyone recommend another place to buy these besides Ikea? We won't be getting a store here for at least another year or so. I need them to hold up to 15-20 lbs each.
Urban Grace) friend Anne's kitchen renovation, I've dreamed about adding crown moulding to the top of our painted cabinets for a more custom look, at such an affordable price. And since I blog more than I actually sleep, I also have obsessed over Layla's (The Lettered Cottage) cabinet crown moulding and her fantastic use of baskets for storage (look at those chalkboard tags made by the lovely Grace!!!!). Then recently I saw the classic details the fabulously chic (and new mom!) Teresa from The Stamford Wife added to her kitchen and that was it.

Ever since I saw Erika's (

Kitchen updates, here we come.
Kitchen updates

I also have this beautiful pomegranate etsy print from the talented fioretta that I've framed
(plus a second similar one she included in my order because she's so incredibly sweet and pretty much rocks).
It's just patiently waiting for a home somewhere in our kitchen.

Stay tuned....... =)


  1. I love updates! :)

    That moulding is gorgeous! I can't wait to see what you guys come up with. I need to do moulding on the top of our cabinets, but I haven't figured out exactly what I want to use...

    Are you wanting the long floating shelves? I think Pottery Barn carries those, but I'm sure they are crazy expensive. Can you order the Ikea shelves online? Or what about Home Goods? Or maybe even Target.

  2. You can get floating shelves similar to the ones at IKEA from Home Depot and Lowe's. They seem to only have white or black depending on the store location but I think you can get either color online. One thing of note, the Home Depot and Lowe's versions hold less weight than the IKEA version.

  3. I can't wait to see the updates! Definitely check out Lowes for the floating shelves.

  4. I think Home Depot and Lowes sells those floating shelves but I bet you can find them all over the internet too.

    I'd be wary of the Ikea ones in the kitchen - they are made of material that might warp in a moist environment.

  5. cannot wait for the tile backsplash! your plan sounds great.

  6. Sounds fantastic! I can't wait to see what you do!

  7. Oooh, I can't wait to see what kind of tile you put up on the backsplash. I think your kitchen looks fabulous as is, but a little tweaking never hurt anybody, hm? ;)

    The IKEA is going to kind-of-sort-of be in my neck of the woods. This is gonna hurt when it opens. :D

  8. Such great plans! Hard to believe that your kitchen could become even cuter. And I love that print. What a nice pop of color that will be.


  9. Your kitchen is so great already! These changes will be the icing on the cake!

    The floating shelves we used in our hallway we got at Lowes. You might check them out.

  10. Love your kitchen and your ideas! We are getting ready to paint our cabinets white this weekend! So this was great inspiration!

  11. Ooooh, so excited! Love all the great details you picked out! It's all in the details, girl!

    You can get the shelves at Home Depot! And, if you want, I can get you the aluminum hardware for free! The aluminum hardware is a little different because you can see the hardware from the sides. We used them in our office and laundry room! Let me know if you want them!

  12. Love your plans - we want to do moulding on top of our cabinets to.

    I'd try Target for your shelves - they sell them in shorter lengths than IKEA (which is why I'm hosed) but they have some white options.

    And I'm road tripping through Utah in July for a family reunion in California with plans to stop at IKEA. So if worse comes to worse, I'm your gal.

  13. Love your ideas for the kitchen FC! I especially can't wait to see that gorgeous backsplash. Swoon!

  14. Get on with it! I love your kitchen and cannot wait to see it.

    Okay.. that was brash. I am really excited though.

    I've seen lots of shelves lately at Target. maybe try there?

  15. I've been following all these kitchen transformations too - extra interest sparked by the addition we're building. It's obvious you've been inspired! I'm staying tuned....

  16. I have been looking for prints like this! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  17. Thanks for the input, everyone! I knew I could count on you =)

  18. Leah~ I can't stop! It's like a sickness, LOL. I don't think any of our rooms will be officially done until we move out!

  19. cool to see you use etsy!!

  20. ha, I was going to suggest Lowes for the shelves but about 59 people beat me to it.

    the lettered cottage has a great tutorial on adding crown moulding to cabinets, if you haven't already seen it:

    Let us know how it goes for you (I'm sure you will!) because I'd like to do the same thing eventually.

  21. Love your blog! Let me know if you want some chalkboard tags and thanks for mentioning them!!!


Let's get weird up in here.
~Freckles Chick~