Bookworm

I'm a reader. If there's text on it, I'll read it. When I was younger, my mother found the best babysitters ever - - their names were The Bookstore and The Library. She'd take me there, I'd plunk down, and the world could fall away around me for all I cared.

I'd like to pretend that I spend hours trolling the dusty, captivating aisles of vintage bookshops in hip neighborhoods, but the oldest book shop in my area is the 10 yr-old Barnes & Noble. I recently popped into Home Goods (you saw that one coming, right?) to look for upholstered dining room chairs........and left with some hardcover pop-culture coffee table books, an art one, and a couple of decor ones (can't stray too far from predictability). Each $7.99. Just like their home selection, their book offerings can be slim pickings. Every once in a while, there's a hidden gem. No, you probably won't stumble across that well-worn copy of Tolstoy's Anna Karenina or any hardcover early editions of Jane Austen......but you just might find a book worthy of displaying on the coffee table and that you might actually read. Or in the loo for some light reading, if that's how you roll.

Photobucket


Have you noticed that stacks of books are used often in interior design? I not only dissect these photos design element by design element but I also bust out the magnifying glass to see if I can read the titles on those book spines. Why I own a magnifying glass is a story for another day.

A trick I learned from a friend (who is both an interior and graphic designer.......over-achieving show-off), is to remove the book jacket and you can instantly turn a shiny new read into a slightly vintage-looking gem. Add an accent from around the house and hello, photo-op.

{before}
Photobucket

{after}

Photobucket

{before}
Photobucket

{after}
Photobucket

Read any good books lately?
I'm always looking for recommendations--thank you!
Happy Friday!

23 comments:

  1. hah! I can't NOT read, like the cereal box when I'm eating breakfast. If it has words, I'm reading it. :) I actually used to be grounded from reading when I was a kid. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a big reader, but I love books with great pictures...does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny that you would post this...I JUST added a stack of books as decor in my bedroom, and I've been on the hunt for some more for the living room. Removing the jacket is brilliant...will be doing that when I get home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does this apply to books with pop-up pictures? That's how I roll.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been taking the jackets off of my books for a while now. It really helps to unify them on our shelves. I keep all of the jackets in a box, though, because I know there will come a time when I feel like putting all of the jackets back on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a really good point. Plus, look at that bright green book and how great it looks now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to join the summer reading clubs at the library when I was younger. I would get stacks of books and read and read all day and all night.

    Your ideas are great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too am a voracious reader, and like you and Emily, I always, always, always take the dust jacket off before shelving or displaying a book, and definitely before reading it. But I do save the jackets, just in case.

    I just read "The Reader." Much better than the movie, of course. And right now, I am revisiting "Danny, Champion of the World," by Roald Dahl.

    Have a great weekend. And I love your Home Goods scores. Nice hunting!

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  9. My hubby calls me a compulsive reader - I'll read any text, which is true. I don't have any real nice books, though. And, I hardly re-read anything!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i bought the storage and display book for my husband from homegoods. do you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do the book-jacket removal thing too! I hate book jackets. But then i throw them away and feel guilty, like I'm desecrating the book. Oh well... anything for beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm... Why does fc have a magnifying glass.... That's a whole 'nother post, isn't it? HeHe! Love the trick and I love the white accents as well!

    I just finished a light read about renovating and ghosts in the south: The House on Tradd St by Karen White!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not so much a reader...but I love having them around as decor. Love your tricks, FC.

    And, your photog skills are quite impressive girl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea. I really hate the slips on hardcovers anyhow. They always rip and annoy me.

    I may or may not have OCD tendencies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just finished Harlan Coben's new one: Long Lost. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another Harlan Coben reader here??? I didn't have the chance to buy his new book but i was so spooked out by two of his bests:"tell no one" and "the final detail".
    For those of you who like journal type of books, i recommend: Happiness Diary by Nicolae Steinhardt.

    Have a Happy Weekend, you bookworms!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Does the PB catalog count? LOL. I haven't picked up a book that wasn't for school in ages :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for this idea - I have those PB books and I HATE how the spines look with the jackets on. Those jackets are coming off - stat! :)
    Keep the great inspiration comin!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just stumbled upon your blog--good stuff! Love the book stacks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the idea of removing the book jacket to make the stack look more vintage. I love to read, too. Unfortunately, my book club has morphed into a young mother's talking about their child prodigies club with prodigyless me looking for an out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I too am and avid reader so I recently sent out a request to a bunch of my facebook friends for recommendations of their favorite books. I've written up the list on my blog but its toward the end so I hope you find it. You've probably read many of the recommendations but there might be a few that you haven't seen before...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I HATE book jackets. I will admit, that I often buy books only based on what they look like with the jacket off. A lot of people are suckers for books; I'm a sucker for book design (thanks to my undergrad degree in graphic design!).

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am a reader too, but I'm also a penny pincher so I have stacks of ugly paperbacks everywhere! I'm not sure what kind of books you enjoy but here are a few of my favorites...
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
    Red Tent by Anita Diamant
    Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
    please share a few of your favorites with me, I'm always looking for something good to read!

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~