Green thumb wannabe

I don't have a green thumb so this plants post is sort of laughable and possibly my 2nd most boring post ever so. Anyways.

We took a trip to a plant nursery recently and I highly recommend visiting one if you have a nursery in your vicinity! Nurseries make the plant section at Home Depot and Lowe's look like that weird relative who always falls short of the family's expectations (I'm totally referring to this one cousin I have and not myself here). Although I must admit that their succulents section is spectacular.

We walked out of our local nursery with 2 peony bushes, some Silvermounds and some Lamb's Ears. I can't help but get handsy with these as they are so soft to the touch and extremely resilient (especially for dry climates like Colorado). They seriously feel like my dog's smooshy soft ears. I had seen these in a neighbor's landscaping but it's one of our weird neighbors who I try to avoid talking to at all costs.

So since I was clueless as to what their names were (the plants, not the neighbors) upon arriving at the nursery, I asked if they had any "lush sage green plant thingies of the fuzzy persuasion". The nursery folks eyed me warily and were all "Where's security?" Kidding, but this would have been hilarious because who hires security for a plant nursery???? After they laughed with me......or at me, I'm not entirely sure.......we were led to exactly what we were looking for.

Love these for their texture and muted sage green color.

Photobucket

Photobucket

We're also installing a couple trellises (trellisi?) and planting a climbing ivy. The nursery informed us that this is called a Virginia Creeper but I think it looks suspiciously like a marijuana plant. We were assured that these grow quickly and turn a bold crimson or eggplant color, with berries, in the fall--score! So we also loaded up on some of these recreational drugs ivy plants. Once these all fill in a bit, I'll hopefully have some more exciting pics to share.


Photobucket

Photobucket

P.S. All I'm saying is if my trellis ivy turns into an illegal "cash crop" come harvest time, I'm totally not sharing the lucrative profits with the nursery. Nor am I sharing any of the harvest. That'll teach them not to lie to Freckles Chick.

P.P.S. In case any law enforcement folks are reading this, FC does not abuse drugs......just alcohol occasionally.

P.P.P.S. In case any impressionable young folks are reading this, don't be like FC, kids. Thank you and stay in school.

19 comments:

  1. You are hysterical!!! And I looove me some Ivy and purty plants, although I have more like a black thumb when it comes to this stuff. I can't wait to see your garden grow!!!! xo g

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way those fuzzy greens one look! I never know the names for plants either, so don't feel bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your PSs, funny, funny, funny. I too have sort of gotten into plants this year. I haven't put any pot plants in though, and probably should look into it.

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before I even finished reading your post I was like, "Man, that looks like POT." LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha. FC, you're a hoot. Hopefully you get some pretty peonies out of those next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm hoping to have some climbing ivy, when we're ready to start planting things in our backyard - like in 2011! Seriously, can't wait to see how yours goes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just came across your blog and I have to say that I am in love! I adore your style of writing and decor!

    Can't wait to see what the Virginia Creeper looks like with berries - never seen one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bwahahaha! Breathe, Suzie, breathe! Those totally look like marijuana plants! Love everything you picked out! I so want a peony bush, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really are a crack up...or a 'weed up' if you wanna be technical about drugs :)

    Can't wait to see the plants in action!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can feel that lambs ear through my computer screen. Nice pic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LMAO at your disclaimers. And I love lamb's ear for it's snuggly softness, too. Can't wait to see how your cash crop does!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL. You are beyond awesome. I'm the same way with plants, which reminds me- it's time for me to head to the nursery mahself to get my annual crop of Petunias. You see, Petunias are the only flower out here in Colorado that are hearty enough for me to kill...and bring back to life. And then kill again...and bring back to life (again). I might not be so good in the watering department, what can I say?

    This also might be why Petunia (the chihuahua) is named Petunia. Good luck! It's for good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so jealous of your peonies...

    and your sage green soft thingies. I knew just want you were talking about.

    PS - I think it's trelli. =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Still laughing.....yup....still.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay for the peonies - they're one of my favorites :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Found you today through TCB...love your blog!

    On the Creeper...we have some across the street, growing up the side of the flower shop. It looks like flames going up the walls, when fall hits...just BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Brilliant orange, yellow, and red, deepening to eggplant, then brown. We know fall is upon us when the creeper changes. LOVE. IT.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My boyfriend loves those silver mounds. We have 2 at home and when we bought them last fall we had no clue what they were. He just calls them the soft wierd cool lookin plants. Haha...I can't wait to tell him they have an actual name!

    ReplyDelete
  18. First time commenter here, we have that Virginia Creeper in our back yard(planted by the previous owners) It is like a Jumanji plant. Yes, it is beautiful, but it will invade very nook and cranny in no time at all. We spent two weeks in NYC last year and when we came back the creeper has grown from the back fence into our yard about 10 FEET! So, just a word of caution, make sure to place it somewhere you can easily control it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's a recreational drug ivy??? I think I saw a plant like that in our garden. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~