Hang in there

Made some progress in our dining nook by way of filling up the empty wall in there. I would have loved a series of these beveled mirrors and would have gladly found some knockoffs, but they were vetoed by the freaking Husband. It's difficult to design around Mr. FC.

So a gallery of framed photos it is. Do you mind if I share my tried and true frame hanging method with you? I'm sure I'm not the first to use this method but it works for me everytime.

You'll need these (oh, and scissors):

Photobucket

1. Using construction paper (or whatever paper condusive to the size of your frames), trace the frame. Trim off edges.

Photobucket

2. Turn frame over and line paper template up with the frame. Using a nail, puncture the paper at the exact location of the hanging hook. Every frame's hook (even if they're identical in style) has a slightly different location, so make sure to number each of your templates according to the frame you used. Otherwise, you might see some small undesirable variations in the lineup once the frames are hanging on your wall.

Photobucket

3. Tape your paper templates up on your wall. Arrange and rearrange as needed. Once you've figured out a pleasing layout, USE A LEVEL to ensure a straight, level line! Unless you're going for a more eclectic layout; if so skip this step.

Photobucket


Realize that you're drinking your usual glass(es) of wine. Decide to check the levelness of the frames again.
Photobucket

4. Pound the nails through the nail hole you previously made on each template.Photobucket

5. Hang your frames OVER the paper templates. Don't remove these quite yet, just in case you need to make any slight adjustments.

6. Once you're happy with the look, remove the paper templates. Step back, admire, and enjoy (until you decide you'd like to hang something entirely new on your wall).

Photobucket

I'll probably eventually add another row of frames to this wall, but a) I'm a minimalist and b) I'm too lazy as there are bigger fish to fry in this fixer upper house of ours. The original plan was to hang these sconces but they looked a bit "off" on this wall (and since our living room looks into our dining nook, it seemed to compete too much with this sunburst piece). So I went with simple ones and called it a day.

I don't think I'll be winning any design awards with this space, but it's liveable. More progress to come on this room.....

22 comments:

  1. I love the frames you chose. And your method sounds fabulous - but I think I'm too lazy to cut out paper. That's why our walls look like a holey sponge and yours look like a gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you can go wrong with a photo wall. I use the same method to hang my frames. Wrapping paper works really well for the paper too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have the same blank wall in my dining nook! hmmm i may have to do something like this. you're right one more row of pics would be perfect. good job fc!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute! I love your wall color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love when you do stuff like this! Great job and it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good thinking! I use paper to visualize the placement of the frames, but didn't think of nailing the hole right through the paper. Totally using that for my next project. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you guys are so stinking cute. last time i hung a gallery, i needed spackle, extra paint, and a LOT of wine (waiting for spackle to dry). your method is much better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good idea with the whole picture-hanging technique--ESPECIALLY the wine!!! But I gotta tell you, I totally covet that sunburst. Totally.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for documenting the process, because you made it look so boozy, er, easy. Great results!

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad you shared your hanging method...it's a wise one! I love what you chose to do with the wall. The sconces look fab, and 4 frames was perfect, especially since it is my favorite number ; )

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE your hanging method...only wish I could get a better look at those lovely photos...trying my darndest to blow em up but can't see anything but bokeh. Your taste is flawless girl!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool method! I love step #3 the best! HeHe! Aww, sorry you couldn't use the awesome Z sconces, but I really love how everything turned out! Really clean and chic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Genius! I had never thought to do that. Usually me trying to hang anything in a straight line entails Husband hauling out his tape measure and measuring 23940432870342979408739 things while I stand and hold the laser level until it feels like my arms are going to fall off.


    Or, as my twin sister says, "it's much more entertaining to have your husband nail them all up and then change your mind and make him scooch them down 1/2"

    :|

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice technique! I love it, the sconces are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the mats and frames. You win a design award every post in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok, you totally rival me with picture hanging...I'm all about levels, mock ups, and hanging it perfect the first time around. Great job! (And looks fab too!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a great tip! Love a photo wall.....

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have the same CB mirrors saved in my favorites...all part of my new living room grand scheme (that will probably never happen). I wish that you had them so I could drool over them (; Check out this lamp that I am also in love with....http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=1220&f=24459

    ReplyDelete
  19. You did a fantastic job on hanging the pictures, I also love the pictures that you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great tip! The other thing people need to remember is to be sure all hanging hardware on the backs of the frames are in exactly the same position.

    ReplyDelete
  21. great idea...thank you so much, do you know how many holes I've filled in my walls?!?!

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~