When he joined our family, he was a right mess at just 3 months old. Worms, kennel cough, a weird flippy eyelid issue. A few trips to the vet plus a couple surgeries later and he was a brand new puppy. And as sweet as one can ask for. (I'll spare you the rest of this pic as I'm wearing fashion horribly indicative of 2001.)Everyone must say this about their dog, but this gentle giant is THE perfect dog. I swear that when I peer into his constantly concerned chocolate brown eyes, there's a human soul in there. He really understands everything........unless there's a squirrel in the vicinity and then all hell breaks loose.
We always make a fuss over his birthday (or what the vet guessed to be his birthday as he was a rescue). We might not remember
He's had a rough couple of months. We noticed that he wasn't chewing his food and would yelp if I gave him a kiss on his snout. So being the paranoid parent that I am, I insisted we take him to his vet. Through some testing the vet discovered that he has masticatory myocitis and prescribed Prednisone (a steroid). We don't really know if this is going to get worse or develop into a life-threatening thing. So we're just making sure he's as comfy as can be. The poor guy's muscles (jaw, cranial) are essentially wasting away due to the condition and the medication. He sort of resembles a Conehead and has been in some serious pain. =[
Anyway, because it's my blog and I can, here's 10 things about Hiro. He'd also like you to know that his name is pronounced just like "hero". We named him after a Japanese friend of a friend. He's totally honored.
1. He was a dream to housebreak as he's only had a potty accident in the house twice. Twice in his whole life with us. Even Mr. FC can't beat that record. But that's a story for another day.
2. Clean freak like his mom. He knows when he's got muddy/wet paws so what does he do? Plunks himself down just inside the door and extends each paw methodically as he waits for one of us to wipe them off. Once when he was staying with friends of ours who don't mind muddy paws in the house, he sat inside the door for at least 15 minutes. When noone wiped him off, he didn't budge and instead laid down and took a nap.
3. He's never missed a treat thrown to him. Ever. Except for that one time but I blame the treat company.
4. 9 to 5. He's the Squirrel Sheriff of our yard. He pretty much is awesome at it.
5. We thought we were getting a standard Border Collie (left)......instead we got this (the mutt on the right).
6. Not an attention whore. He doesn't demand constant attention and is perfectly independent. Yet if you choose to use him as an ottoman, pillow and/or spooning partner, he lets you do so for hours.
7. He loves this sweater loaned to him by his dear friend Kirbs. Like a little black dress, this sweater gives him confidence and he metamorphosizes into a social butterfly. (Go Hawks!)
8. Not just any dogbed will do (we’ve tried). He prefers to sleep like a king. So we gave him a fluffy futon mattress covered in soft flannel. Which I launder every 2 weeks. And iron. That last part may or may not be true.
9. He eats organic dog food and organic dog treats. He gets professionally groomed with organic shampoo and products. Freaking hippie.
10. His head’s huge. This one time a few months ago, a lady stopped us on our hike and cooed that he hadn’t grown into his head yet. I was all “Excuse me, lady, but perhaps you’re not right in the head.” Not out loud, just in my head.
So, I’m a crazy dog lady. I prefer the company of canines over the company of humans. I totally have a picture of my dog on my home computer, my work computer, and my cellphone. But only because I love asking people, and sometimes random strangers, if they want to see a picture of my son, then proudly show them Hiro in all his glory and wait for their reaction. One lady sorta yelped and covered it with a cough. A coworker squinted at the screen forever, eyes flickering to my face, searching for a resemblance.
P.S. Thanks for indulging me by reading this rambling post about my dog. If you skipped over it, that's OK. I'm not offended but I do know where you blog......... I kid.