Happy Birthday Hiro

Disclaimer: I'm sort of a weirdo. And I love my dog.

Hiro turned the ripe old age of 8 yrs last week. But to me he's still a puppy and I could swear that we just rescued him from the humane society. Remember how he came to live with us all because I was incredibly hungry for a burrito?

When he joined our family, he was a right mess at just 3 months old. Worms, kennel cough, a weird flippy eyelid issue. A few trips to the vet plus a couple surgeries later and he was a brand new puppy. And as sweet as one can ask for. (I'll spare you the rest of this pic as I'm wearing fashion horribly indicative of 2001.)Everyone must say this about their dog, but this gentle giant is THE perfect dog. I swear that when I peer into his constantly concerned chocolate brown eyes, there's a human soul in there. He really understands everything........unless there's a squirrel in the vicinity and then all hell breaks loose.

We always make a fuss over his birthday (or what the vet guessed to be his birthday as he was a rescue). We might not remember our parents’ birthdays nor our wedding anniversary other important days, but we always remember his. This year he was spoiled with the usual mountain hike, a trip to the pet store so he could pick out his favorite toy and treats, and a juicy bison bone. That’s what the lady at the doggie bakery said but I think it might be woolly mammoth.

He's had a rough couple of months. We noticed that he wasn't chewing his food and would yelp if I gave him a kiss on his snout. So being the paranoid parent that I am, I insisted we take him to his vet. Through some testing the vet discovered that he has
masticatory myocitis and prescribed Prednisone (a steroid). We don't really know if this is going to get worse or develop into a life-threatening thing. So we're just making sure he's as comfy as can be. The poor guy's muscles (jaw, cranial) are essentially wasting away due to the condition and the medication. He sort of resembles a Conehead and has been in some serious pain. =[

Anyway, because it's my blog and I can, here's 10 things about Hiro. He'd also like you to know that his name is pronounced just like "hero". We named him after a Japanese friend of a friend. He's totally honored.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. He was a dream to housebreak as he's only had a potty accident in the house twice. Twice in his whole life with us. Even Mr. FC can't beat that record. But that's a story for another day.

2. Clean freak like his mom. He knows when he's got muddy/wet paws so what does he do? Plunks himself down just inside the door and extends each paw methodically as he waits for one of us to wipe them off. Once when he was staying with friends of ours who don't mind muddy paws in the house, he sat inside the door for at least 15 minutes. When noone wiped him off, he didn't budge and instead laid down and took a nap.

Photobucket

3. He's never missed a treat thrown to him. Ever. Except for that one time but I blame the treat company.

4. 9 to 5. He's the Squirrel Sheriff of our yard. He pretty much is awesome at it.

5. We thought we were getting a standard Border Collie (left)......instead we got this (the mutt on the right).

Photobucket

6. Not an attention whore. He doesn't demand constant attention and is perfectly independent. Yet if you choose to use him as an ottoman, pillow and/or spooning partner, he lets you do so for hours.

7. He loves
this sweater loaned to him by his dear friend Kirbs. Like a little black dress, this sweater gives him confidence and he metamorphosizes into a social butterfly. (Go Hawks!)

8. Not just any dogbed will do (we’ve tried). He prefers to sleep like a king. So we gave him a fluffy futon mattress covered in soft flannel. Which I launder every 2 weeks. And iron. That last part may or may not be true.

9. He eats organic dog food and organic dog treats. He gets professionally groomed with organic shampoo and products. Freaking hippie.

10. His head’s huge. This one time a few months ago, a lady stopped us on our hike and cooed that he hadn’t grown into his head yet. I was all “Excuse me, lady, but perhaps you’re not right in the head.” Not out loud, just in my head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, I’m a crazy dog lady. I prefer the company of canines over the company of humans. I totally have a picture of my dog on my home computer, my work computer, and my cellphone. But only because I love asking people, and sometimes random strangers, if they want to see a picture of my son, then proudly show them Hiro in all his glory and wait for their reaction. One lady sorta yelped and covered it with a cough. A coworker squinted at the screen forever, eyes flickering to my face, searching for a resemblance.

P.S. Thanks for indulging me by reading this rambling post about my dog. If you skipped over it, that's OK. I'm not offended but I do know where you blog......... I kid.

Photobucket

Photobucket

39 comments:

  1. Yay, I love when I'm not the only person obsessed with their dogs! Our dogs are like our children too, we have more pictures of them around than humans.

    Hiro is so adorable! I love his big fuzzy head!! I'm sad to hear that he's sick. That's the worst feeling knowing your pet isn't well and you can't explain to them why they don't feel good. Riley and Axel are sending good vibes his way!

    And I busted out laughing when I read...freaking hippie...loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Hiro! He sounds like a great dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to your puppy! He looks so much like a dog I used to have and sorely miss, except Hiro is much, much bigger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww, I love it! Especially, #2, that's fantastic. Dogs are absolutely the best. Health issues are so heartbreaking. Hope Hiro is enjoying his birthday and is resting comfortably. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a miniature chihuahua who rules our household and I wouldn't have it any other way.

    Happy Birthday to your furry family member! =) He's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love his name! Happy Birthday, Hiro!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Hiro!!! He's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm there with ya on the doggy love. I ADORE our dogs. We treat them like the little princes they are.

    I think I feel for dogs more than I do for people sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Hiro!! Dogs make the world a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday to our little hero, Hiro. (Aren't I clever?)

    I'm going to tell you something... I don't think my dogs are perfect or the best dogs. They are little demons. I love them, to pieces, I do. But, they are truly the most devilish dogs. I try to pretend they aren't, but deep down, I know the truth. If you have seen Marley and Me, Franco was totally like Marley at a young age (and still kind of today). I wonder if Hiro could come over and train them?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww, what a great post! He truly sounds like the perfect dog! A giant Happy Birthday to Hiro!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there, new follower here. Just wanted to say that I LOVE this post about your dog! What a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday Hiro - our pets are an extension of our family. I know my Milo is. They bring us such joy ~ most of the time ;)

    take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday Hiro!

    please note that I was fearing the entire time that you were announcing that something awful had happened and I was on the verge of tears reading the entire post. On the plus side...I feel very attached to your dog now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. he's adorable! happy birthday, Hiro!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I totally understand, our dogs are our babies too. I definitely have pictures of them hung in my office, on my conputers, and on my phone. And we celebrate birthdays as well!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  17. no way!!!! my dog, roxy, turned 8 this past saturday! we got her (and by saying "we" i mean my kids of course. :) a princess balloon, dog ice cream, cookies, and a new toy. THEN WE GOT A NEW DOG ON HER BIRTHDAY! She is acting like a hyper puppy all over again. (not too smart on my part, lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. happy birthday hiro! this post is too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My husband and I get really weird looks from people when we talk about our furry children so I can completely relate!

    Happy Birthday Hiro!

    ReplyDelete
  20. YAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY HIRO!!!!!! I know the obessing feelings about your dog, I have the same ones for mine! They're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Birthday Hiro!!!! Awww, this post got me all teary eyed! Cannot believe he sits at the door to get his paws wiped clean! One of my favorite posts, ever! I love Hiro!

    ReplyDelete
  22. We rescue and rehab animals so I know what it is when one becomes seriously ill. Best thoughts to Hiro and a happy birthday too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Life would be completely incomplete without our rescue dog, Scout. Hiro looks like a sweetheart. Hope his jaw feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  24. LMAO, love your list. He's so cute. Happy Birthday, Hiro!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Commented from the wrong account. I hate when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy Birthday Hiro! What a sweet looking guy. Hope he has a fab birthday. I love how much you love him. I'm just as obsessed with my pups. They are my kids. I hear them. Even though one of them just ripped two $50 bills to pieces. Ah!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy birthday, Hiro.

    I loved this post and love that you're a dog person.

    They are our kids. : )

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great post...and Happy Birthday to Hiro!!!!

    Shelby's birthday was May 20th...she turned 13. We totally decked her out in a new Coach collar and a crystal name-tag for the occassion. Naturally, she could have cared less...unless it involves sleep or food, she's rather unamused.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a sweet puppy! I too am obsessed with my pooches. I had to laugh when you wrote about Hiro's photos, I have mine in the same places. I'm just a proud mama!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awwwwww, what a sweet post. Happy B-day Hiro. Now I want a dog. Waaaaa.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Awww -- Happy Birthday Big Boy! I love that you are a dog person, no skimming here!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I tooootally relate to the obsessive dog love. My little porkchop graces my computer screen, phone, etc. and I love him to bits. I'm very impressed by Hiro's muddy feet cleaning routine - jealous! Happy birthday, Hiro!

    ReplyDelete
  33. OMG!!! Happy Birthday darling HIRO!

    What a precious boy...his adorable brown eyes & black hair remind me of my Luna! So cute!

    He's 56 in dog years, wow! I hope his muscles get better...poor baby!

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a cutie! Happy belated birthday to Hiro, what a fantastic friend you have there!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Awww...he's such a sweetie! Hope he had a great b-day :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I know I'm abysmally late, but I did want to say that I hope Hiro had a nice birthday. :) He is such a wonderful dog, and he sounds like the best companion!

    ReplyDelete
  37. OMG freakin hilarious!!! Mr FC's potty accidents! Killin me, probably true too? :)

    Nice to Friscenheimer with a ccameo in the freckles chick blizzzzogg!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your dog looks like he rocks.
    My friend's family had two a border collies and it was great to see them play fetch, and walk on a wall ( yes they jumped on the wall surrounding the house).
    It's nice to hear that you don't just feed him junk dog food.

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~