Succ(ulents) it up

That title's totally cheesy isn't it? My apologies.

When I saw Kim, gardener extraordinaire and hilarious to boot, post about succulents potted in charming milkglass here and did her own in ceramicware here, I filed that away in my bursting-at-the-seams inspiration folder. Then when I stumbled upon this image from creative Grace's blog (aka chalkcloth tag queen), I was further enamored.

But as I scoured my local vintage/thrift shops, I came up empty-handed in finding milkglass vases suitable for potting my succulents. Either Coloradoans don't believe in milkglass or some other decor-obsessed collector keeps beating me to the punch.

So a few weeks ago I wandered into Crate & Barrel to buy a wedding gift for a friend and she had these on her registry. They're not vintage milkglass but they're white w/ a footed silhouette and charming in their miniature form.

mini fluted bowl (left) for $2.95 Mr. FC suggested I scatter a few rocks (these are chunks of granite from our landscaping) in the bottom for adequate drainage. Apparently he thinks: environmental geologist = plant expert.
After all that fun squishing dirt and getting my hands dirty, I read the potting mix instructions and it highly recommended wearing gloves as there might be irritants in the potting mix. Well, crap.
Here's what they look like!
Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'm digging the urn shape and the scalloped silhouette.

All that horticulturing really tuckered me out. And I know.....I should totally consider becoming a photographer. =]


Note: I potted these 3 weeks ago and am just now blogging about them because I wanted to be sure that they would survive. They're thriving! I may have to prune them if theyget any bigger but these little guys grow pretty slowly. These mini bowls are perfect for succulents because they require very little watering. Other plants might not fare so well, as a pot with better drainage might be required.

24 comments:

  1. Love the "pots", they are so classicly chic. Just like you. And yes, please do join the rest of the blogging world and become a photographer - I was just thinking there aren't enough wanna be photographers in the blogsphere. Gosh, I am just so spicy these days, ready to check me into Promises for blogger rehab? Although I think this might be a personality disorder, medication might be the only answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spank me and call me Suzy...I love this idea! Thanks so much for sharing...don't know how I missed that on Kim's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love those little pots! So cute!!! Great job keeping the plants alive! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this project- I just saved all your pics into a succulents file and I'm headed to C&B right now to get those cute little pots- thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are so cute! love them! glad you shared them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh i love those... if you want to see some CRAZY succulents, check out my blog post about the Sunset design house. A local gardener created a VERTICAL succulent garden. She plants them in a square "canvas" and once they take root, she hangs them like a canvas--really incredible! Check out my pix here: http://urbansardines.wordpress.com/2009/06/09/modern-cottage-at-sunset-magazine/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pots you used - I think I could do something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for the instructions. I have been wanting to do this for so long but I couldn't find the perfect bowls. I almost broke down and bought plastic succulents that were in similar pots from target.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can now call yourself Mrs. Greenjeans....or are you too young to know that reference?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! Now I NEED the fluted bowl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could hardly get through "Succ(ulent)it up" without peeing my pants - brilliant title. Then, I realize you mentioned me - color me flattered (it's a rosey hue, if you are looking for the paint chip).

    Yours look great. Mine are getting a little crowded in the containers, I think I should have probably only put one in there. PS - Great call to Mr. FC for the drainage idea. He's a smart cookie.

    This reminds me - I haven't watered these little guys in a few weeks. I'll get on that, tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've decided I need to stop coming to your blog. I'm starting to get a complex about my underdecorated home. Ish!

    Love the succulents and the bowls! As long as they can go for 2 years w/o being watered, I may have to get some myself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep, I like the urn shape too! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're hilarious every single time!

    These are great! Love them and their pots!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super cute! Love this idea. I wonder if I could find "pots" like this in black? Hum...

    ReplyDelete
  16. THANK YOU you guys! Warm fuzzies all around. Do you think I can now say that I "garden"?

    @ Em: Promises, here we come. Think Lohan will be there for her 10th attempt at sobriety? Bring your camera so we can pretend we're paparazzi.

    @ PJ: You just made me google Mrs. Greenjeans!

    @ Nat: I'm surprised I've kept our dog alive for this long, for reals. Now these plants. I think I'm on a roll.

    @Jill: Hmm, I wonder if you could rough them up & spraypaint them black? That would be gorge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think those containers are perfect :) I really love the footed soup bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i'm super jealous of your succy plants, seeing as mine died a sad little death. how often do you water yours? and do they have to be in direct sunlight? my black thumb needs some help. :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Audrey!
    I'm sorry for your loss. =]

    I only water mine once a week and we live in a really dry climate, too. I hear overwatering can be deadly! And I have them on our kitchen windowsill which is south-facing (TONS of sunlight but not overkill).

    Hope that helps! =]

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look gorgeous. I really am inspired to make some of my own succulent goodness! Thanks for the ideas, as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those came out wonderful, love the pots/urns I have got to get some succulents for my home.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh succulents... my black thumb can't even kill those!

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~