Crowned

Helloooo? Are you still around, lovely readers? Still here, just super slammed.


Do you remember our DIY/budget kitchen makeover (what I call Phase 1, as a few years from now we'll probably do a major overhaul)? After that facelift, I envisioned some additional (smaller) updates. And since snails move faster than The FC's, I finally crossed something off my list.

I added crown moulding to the cabinets (yes, all 7 of them, don't laugh). All it took was a trip to Home Depot for some moulding, a tube of Liquid Nails (for wood projects), and some leftover primer/paint. Home Depot has a sawing station where you can cut your moulding yourself. Or if you're me, you can have your husband do some quick cuts at home with the circular saw. I probably could have done it myself but I could care less about girl power......eh, I know how to use a tile saw so I'm bragging about that one for years.......besides I've convinced myself Mr. FC wants to do this stuff for me. You're welcome, honey.


Lucky for me our cabinets (all 7 of them--hey, what did I tell you about laughing?) are bookended by walls, so no need for miter cuts, which aren't too difficult to achieve if yours do require them. Once they were cut to length, I ran a thick bead of Liquid Nails along the bottom of each moulding, placed them on the top of the cabinets, and anchored the pieces with masking tape as they dried.

TIP: if you're doing this by yourself, rip your pieces of tape beforehand and have them nearby so that one hand can hold the moulding as the other grabs the tape.......otherwise, your moulding will end up on the floor with your dog eagerly trying to lick up the wood glue.
This stuff is truly powerful.
Photobucket

Then I carefully filled the end gaps with some joint compound. Once that dried, I painted on 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of paint (leftover from our cabinet painting project last year). All in an afternoon's work and, depending on your kitchen size, fairly inexpensive and easy!
Here's the WAY BEFORE. (Ew, I just threw up a little in my mouth).

Here's the current AFTER.
(it's impossible to get a full pic of this tiny space, so I had to do a little crop-&-piece-together magic).
Photobucket

Photobucket

Why yes, those are tarnished, mismatched hinges. Thanks for asking. =]Photobucket

Photobucket

Does the moulding make our shoebox kitchen more spacious?
Hells no.
Does it make me smile when I try to cook a huge meal in a tiny space?
Yes. It's all about the details. I'm a details whore. Sorry, Mom & Dad.
P.S. I'm slowly catching up on my emails so to those who have emailed me in the last few weeks, I promise to reply soon! Don't you give up on me yet! Please and thank you.

P.P.S. As you can see we still haven't installed the backsplash tiles. There's just bigger fish to fry in the pan of life, right now!


46 comments:

  1. LOVE it! Liquid Nails is the best, eh? Your molding looks delish as does your entire kitchen. Awesome job.

    xo,
    s

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks wonderful. And now you have a great spot to hide chocolate and other items ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The moulding is a nice touch... the overall transformation so far is stunning! Love the color scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW - what a great improvement from the very start! it's absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in love!! I cant believe that is the same kitchen in the before pics with the brown cabinets- its amazing what moulding and white paint can do- awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so jealous! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great!

    Way to go.

    http://hopelesschest.blogspot.com
    ~ KJ

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE. IT. (what color are your cabs?? that's what we're gonna do next, but I'm having the darndest time finding the right white.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Abso-freakin-lutely-love-it! And you go for totally DIY!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your blog! You make home improvement look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay, FC. I keep checking your blog in hopes of a new post and now it's here!

    Love the kitchen and the simple molding. Looks great, as does everything in it!

    Miss you!

    -Joi-

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice finishing touch to the cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
  13. very nice! that made all the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! That is a huge difference. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous! Made all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is on my project list, but at the bottom of it b/c we have to find a stain match. But seeing yours moved it up the list. I looove what you did. It looks fantastic! Soooo gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Holy cow, I just literally gasped when I saw your finished project. Gasped.

    I am in awe of your interior design skills and I'm not just saying that 'cuz I think you're secretly a ninja. I am in awe simply because I AM IN AWE.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm a molding lover - think it should go everywhere! Yours looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's so nice that you posted today! The trim adds SO much. Yes, it's all about the details! But really, what could be bigger than backsplash?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a small thing, but such a dramatic difference! Absolutely looove it! I could enjoy cooking in there, I think! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I now truly believe that absence does make the heart grow fonder...missed you FC and this post was great (and so is the molding)!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Still here and loving the update!

    ReplyDelete
  23. WoooHoooo! Seriously, I thought your kitchen couldn't get any better but such a small change makes such a huge difference! Amazing, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  24. me likey. i can now call you miss fancy pants.

    ReplyDelete
  25. BEAUTIFUL! :) I like the liquid nails idea. Less carpal-tunnel involved. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love it. I'm so impressed with your handiwork.

    And, I'm totally boo-hooing that I don't have white cabinet. *stomping my feet* =)

    Hope all is well in your land, FC. THe blogisphere is lonelier when you get busy. =)

    ReplyDelete
  27. LOVE the molding - huge improvement. Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's totally elegant. Nice work! And welcome back.

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love this! Convinced my husband to do this this coming weekend. I sent him the post you wrote and showed him how easy it will be. Going to the hardware store tonight to get supplies so we can start tomorrow morning! Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. We've missed you - I love your blog and can't wait when you can post more regularly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This looks so great! I really wish I had thought to use liquid nails when we installed some crown moulding awhile ago instead of doing it the hard way. Oh well. Love the transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You guys. Seriously. How am I s'posed to type if I'm all weepy-eyed? Thank you for sticking around and for your kind words. I miss you all more than you'll ever know. =]

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love the kitchen redo as well as your blog!! My hub and I just finished our guest bathroom and instead of buying all new hinges, he bought good ole Rustoleum spray paint in satin nickel. The money we saved was huge. In addition we replaced all the door handles in the house with satin nickel, but again sprayed the hinges on the doors. Try it! You will be impressed I promise.

    Dana
    dmt1993@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Looks great! I just added crown molding onto our kitchen cabinets last week and man I wish I had some of that liquid nails stuff!!!
    ~Rebecca
    PaintingtheRosesWhite.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is fab!
    Love how you have made a job that would seem like a huge headache look effortless and even fun!

    Having just discovered your blog (via Get It Girl Tam Style's blog) and reading your tips for blog traffic as well as these recent posts, I can see that reading your blog is going to be one of my favourites.

    Thanks for taking the time to share such good before and after pics.

    From a grateful amateur blogger in London, UK ;)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Looks so good from start to getting there finish!! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow, I am so impressed!!! The difference is amazing, great job!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love the look of moulding on top of cabinets--so pretty. Great job FC!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love the colors in the kitchen - well done! You reminded me I need to purchase another aloe plant, it's the only one I tend to not kill! Great work! ox

    ReplyDelete
  40. omg - LOVE this new blog that I found!!! ;) you are incredibly stylish AND entertaining! I love the backsplash tiles & cant wait to see the final product!
    ~mommy moreno

    ReplyDelete
  41. dear freckles my name is tanya not anonymous and ive been wanting to ask you where u found ur window treatment in ur kitchen adjacent to the stove?! i luv ur charm u put such sophistication into everything u put ur hands on! do let me know my blinds are white in kitchen and would luv to replace them asap w something u put but everytime i search i cant seem to find these?? thank u keep up the great job in ur home dear XO. -tanya

    ReplyDelete
  42. @ Tanya: Thanks so much, you are so kind!! Those are bamboo roman shades from Target (bought 5 yrs ago). They might still carry them but I've also seen similar ones on amazon.com & at Home Depot, Bed Bath & Beyond & Lowes. They also sell privacy liners that you can attach to the back for added privacy too (though we prefer the unlined look)!

    Perhaps try searching for: bamboo blinds, bamboo roman shade, matchstick blinds/shades? Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  43. hi freckles thank u so much sorry for my delay response ive had house guests for over a week, i will be on the prawl for this look, thank u for the all the details and keep up all the great work, and many congratul8tions to u and the Mr. for expectancy enjoy the beautiful journey and i will b following along,, BEST, Tanya

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~