Framed: chalkboard project

Thank you so, so much for your input on my ornate frame's fate. I took your advice and tried the chalkboard with the frame in its original state first. While it looked lovely, it was a bit too traditional for what I envisioned for the space. I considered straying outside of my comfort zone by going for a snappy turquoise or lacquer red. But as my taste can change like the wind, I was nervous that I'd tire of that far too soon.

So white it was. Safe? Perhaps. Timeless? Heck yes.
A deciding factor was that I had a plethora of white spraypaint left over from various projects that was just begging to be used.

So
inspired by these, I transformed this Craig's List gem..................
(hmmm, I do sort of miss the gold now that I think about it--d'oh! )


.............................into this:


A traditional frame with a fresh modern spin.
I am so in love with the details of this frame; beautifully ornate but not overly so.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The process:
1. I wiped down the frame w/ a sponge and a mild soap & water solution, then cleaned it off with fresh water. While it dried, I prepped my work area. I always spraypaint outside (for ventilation, duh) and atop our patio table (placed in the grass far away from the deck/house exterior and wrapped tightly w/ sheets of painter's plastic).

2. I first tackled the frame with the can of flat white (since it had the most in it). While I was pleased with the outcome, it looked.....well, flat. Like primer. So I went at the frame with a can of white spraypaint in a satin finish. Bingo. Just a touch of sheen can do wonders in adding a bit of dimension. Allow to dry for at least 24 hrs.


The chalkboard paint:
I decided not to go the magnetic chalkboard route, as I wanted this to be more of a design element rather than a "memo board".

1. I painted right on top of the plexiglass that the frame came with, and I've heard that you can paint right on top of glass or sheet metal (for a more effective magnetic chalkboard)-- watch your fingers on those rough edges! It took me 4 coats. Don't worry--each coat only took about 60 seconds to apply. Allow each coat to dry for 10 min. before doing the next coat.


2. Here's the hard part that my impatience struggled with. You have to let the chalkboard paint cure for 2 days in a dry environment (it sat in our basement). Don't give in, you can dooo eeet!

3. Finally, "prime" the surface by rubbing a piece of chalk (on it's side, lengthwise) all over it, then erase what you've done. I recommend a damp rag over a regular old eraser, as that wasn't as effective in getting a clean slate.

{ budget breakdown }
*ornate frame: Craig's List find $35
*chalkboard paint: Lowe's $12 (in their spraypaint aisle)--> I have tons leftover for future projects, too.
*white spraypaint: leftover from various projects
*chalk: $2 (10 pieces)
__________________________
total: under $50

Chalk talk away to your heart's content.
The chalkboard surface works magnificently and the possibilities are endless.
Dinner party "menus"? Love messages? Inspirational quotes? Pictionary?
I can't wait to see what sort of inappropriate messages our rowdy dinner guests might leave for us.
Awesome.

51 comments:

  1. WOW! This looks fantastic! You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the looks of this. I'm not a fan of ornate frames, so I put the one I had in the deep dark recesses of my closet. I'm super glad I saved it--because I'm totally going to copy this project.
    P.S. Hubby is redoing his office at work and guess what color I suggested he paint his walls? Coastal Villa, of course. He designs kitchens and is going to enlarge some pictures of his high-end kitchens, mat them in white and frame them in black. They should look stunning against Coastal Villa, don't you think??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. Spray paint is the best invention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! It turned out so nicely, and I'm glad you explained the process, since I have a frame I wnt to paint, and had no idea how to!

    Oh, and thank you for the recent blog award! I'm going to be responding to it on my house blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've just made me want a large frame. The white is perfect. It's too bad I don't have a single wall in the house to put it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. its fantastic FC! just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I simply LOVE it! It's looks chic and modern, perfect combo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you painted it white = awesome awesome. It really does look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. job well done. thats next on my list...go girl..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thumbs up, FC. And seriously, you just gave me the best idea. I have an open wall in my dining room. I was tossing the idea of adding yet another mirror to my walls (vain, much?) but ohhhhh no, it's gonna be a framed chalkboard. And it's gunna be awesome. Not as awesome as yours obviously but a red-headed stepchild version,if you will. No offense to any redheads or stepchildren out there. I love you guys. But anyway, I think mostly I will write inspirational quotes from Hulk Hogan on my new chalkboard. Unfortunately, I'm completely serious.

    FC, why does your blog make me go off on blabbering tangents?

    ReplyDelete
  11. AMAZING!! I absolutely love it. The white was definitely the way to go, especially with all the detailing on the frame. LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks fab. White was totally the right way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think white was the right choice. Elegant and classy but nontraditional. Between your quart of leftover chalkboard paint and my quart of leftover chalkboard paint, we could probably paint all the sidewalks that lead from your house to mine. Wanna meet in the middle?

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH! I think that frame was destined for white! It's perfect... Love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. eee I love it! and yes, white is classic, not lame. great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's just as beautiful in white! I heart your projects/creativity so much! :) You never disappoint!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful transformation FC!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing!!! Beautiful transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh this is fabulous! Some great ideas too for pictionary - I may have to try it b/c my family loves that game! Who knew you could paint the plexiglass as well! I see a future project in the making for our store Ethel Edith! Wonderful house too - love it very classy :)

    ~Annie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely. I loved the original gold but the white is fresh and classic.
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well done! i love that you painted the plexiglass frame!!!! and the white and black is so classic!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Can you feel the bloggers envy out there? We all want it!!! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pretty! I love the shape of that frame. You are really going to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh yeah, I totally love the white paint :) It really makes all the detailing pop.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Don't second guess the white- it looks fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That looks so pretty. I also just finished a magnetic chalkboard project, but your surfaces looks so much smoother than mine because I was too lazy to sand down the magnetic primer. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the contrast of the black and white!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Super cute! I'm going to make one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I LOVE it! The chalkboard looks so good! Thanks for posting the after pics!

    ReplyDelete
  30. girl I was thinking "That frame is oogly, but then I saw your recreation. Exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love this, I have some frames I may try this with!

    ReplyDelete
  32. what a gorgeous project. I love how simply elegant the frame is!

    ReplyDelete
  33. i love your lovely blog so i named you one of my top 5 favorite blogs to keep up with. just thought you might like to check it out!

    thanks for all you share!
    Jen

    http://jenniferbrzinski.blogspot.com/2009/11/if-you-love-blogs-you-will-love-this.html

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful .... a modern chalkboard with a traditional frame.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I looooove this! In fact, I wasted so much time at work yesterday staring at the awesomeness, I ran to Goodwill last night and found a suitable frame. The chalkboard paint is drying as we speak... Can't wait till it's done! Thanks for the inspiration, as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. That is such an adorable idea! Great for a dorm door too.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Fabulous idea!

    Coco of Cococozy (http://www.cococozy.com)

    ReplyDelete
  38. i'd thought about doing this before -- i think it feels very south beach (although, maybe no so much with the chalkboard)... very nice!

    kelly

    ReplyDelete
  39. Ab fab darling. I'm waiting for the post on inappropriate messages from party guests. Can't wait !

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love it! The details didn't really stand out so much when it was gold. The white really makes it clean, classy and the details pop. I really want to make one. If only I had a frame and a place to put it!

    ReplyDelete
  41. really, really like this idea...tasteful!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi! I just want to verify that you didnt paint on actual glass, it was plexiglass right? I want to paint my entire wall in the kitchen with the chalkboard paint, but HE hates the idea of a black wall. My friend gave me a huge 3'x4' frame to try first, but it doesnt have real glass, it's a plastic (i.e. plexiglass). I just wanted to make sure it wont peel off!

    ReplyDelete
  43. @ Anonymous: Yup, I painted over plexiglass & it worked just fine. I didn't even need to rough it up w/ sandpaper. It did take a few coats of the chalkboard paint though. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~