Wall art: branching out

Happy Friday!

Just have a small room update to share. I haven't been truly content with our master bedroom for a few reasons. Reason one : what to put above the bed. Originally, I had a sunburst there and then toyed with a grouping of frames. Neither really jumped out at me; besides, even though they hung on drywall anchors, I had a recurring dream that they'd come crashing down on our heads. (My other recurring dream is the one where I finally join Twitter and FaceBook only to realize that I had been a member this whole time; people just chose to not "friend" me or "poke" me or "tweet" me or whatever it is that you social networkers do. HA! But seriously.)

I first saw vinyl branch decals in action in photos of my design-loving buddies' homes
here and here. By the time I decided to make the leap, the designer version's prices had skyrocketed. I finally found Etsy seller Orqueshaw's WallDecors who offers their own rendition for a fraction of the price (I requested them in gold which they so kindly made for me, even though it wasn't one of their listed selections at the time).

They come with instructions so I'll spare you the details. Tip: Use a credit card to help get rid of air bubbles when applying the decal. My wall is slightly textured w/ ripples and though it took a bit more elbow grease, the decal stuck like a champ.

One of these days I'll get home early enough to take a picture in the daylight, darn winter darkness. (For the details on our DIY headboard, click here.)

It's exactly what I wanted, plus it was easy & inexpensive. Visually interesting in an abstract way, has a hint of shine, but is still light & airy on the eyes (and our heads). I still have to address the opposite wall (art, an upholstered bench) and I'd love to find thriftstore lamps to revamp.
Have a lovely weekend!!

37 comments:

  1. Wow, this is fabulous! I was a fan of the sunburst, and I'm sure it has found a good home in another part of the house (care to share about that??),but this is really gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute cute! I love that you did it in gold - what a great pop of surprise above the bed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the hint of glimmer it gives to your room. I also agree about the awful darkness days of winter. I feel like I have to spend my weekend snapping all the pictures that I want to blog about during the week.

    I long for spring. :)

    Cheers~
    e

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooo!! I LOVE the shine! Very organic, but still glamorous. Great choice!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is so great. you're hired!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! The gold is unexpected, but fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great idea! i too have a fear of hanging anything heavy above the head of our bed. right now it`s currently blankity blank...but i might have to try this idea!!

    = )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! great job and the colour is just perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice choice, especially the gold. Its sexy, just what a bedroom needs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i've got the same fear about things crashing down on my head whilst sleeping. so much that i had collin take out the glass in the frames that are above our headboard. safety first!

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks great...love the shine it gives

    ReplyDelete
  12. THANK YOU everyone! I'm loving it too!
    @ live a colorful life: the sunburst is residing in the basement for now, just waiting for my next decorating urge, LOL!

    @ grace: That's a fantastic idea "removing the glass"--why didn't I think of that? Genius.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your fear of hanging things above your bed is definitely valid! I was in the '89 earthquake in the San Francisco Bay Area, and a book case fell on my bed. Fortunately I was not in bed at the time. I will never hang or put anything near my bed again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmm. I like it.

    I've offically bookmarked that Etsy seller and will return as soon as I get that oh-so-coveted tax check!

    LB

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful! I would love to try some of those word or art decals on our walls, but have been afraid they wouldn't stay due to the texture. Your post gives me hope!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So pretty. And hey, you're alive and well and posting!

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous!! Love how it shimmers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. ooo so pretty! i love the gold and how the branches are so delicate - perfect for a bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's perfect!!!!!!!!! Enough visual interest but so calm and soothing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. very cute, I love the little bit of glam in the bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, that is SO COOL! Love the branch...it looks almost shimmery!

    By the way, I've decided to make my blog private. If you'd like to be added as a reader, I'd love to have you! You can email me at brentsgirl2008@gmail.com, and I'll send you the invite.

    ReplyDelete
  23. fabulous!!!!!!!!!! i am really going towards in making my master bedroom look just like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love it! It totally changes the space up. gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love it! The branches solve that square over square problem - very smart, FC!

    ReplyDelete
  26. See! Ugh...Just looking at your bed makes me CRAVE white, but my toile is NOT feeling it. Oh woe is the neverending decor dilemma.

    Thank you for not abandoning me after the bra strap and horrific master bedroom. Ahh...true friends see you thru bad hair days and crappy design decisions. :)

    Cheers~
    e

    ReplyDelete
  27. Simply love this. It's a delicate way of adding great style.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful Simplicity! Similar to my taste exactly for the bedroom.

    This is funny because, I literally stalked the neighborhood for this tree branch that fell in a storm last week. Well I have it, now it needs a coat of white spray paint and then I was going to use it as the focal art above our bed!

    ReplyDelete
  29. OMG. I'm new to your blog (brand new!) and now I'm obsessed!! I'm going to have to peruse extensively. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. nice post. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This looks really fantastic, great idea! Kathysue

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~