On deck

We have house guests on the horizon, so I attempted to perk up the deck a bit. As you may recall, we had this area expanded late last summer. Then we had to turn our attention to other pressing house matters, so our little deck sat a bit neglected.



Photobucket

I gave the deck a sweep, added some stuff we already owned, and threw in some low-maintenance potted blooms. I do not have a green thumb and am incredibly impatient. There's nothing special about our outdoor furniture. I'm sure everyone owns some variation of this set. It was inexpensive, and as long as it can cradle our bums without collapsing, I'm not picky.

NOW:
Photobucket
 
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Why yes, I was going for the generic Starbucks patio look when we got our umbrella. I adore how it clashes painfully with the seat cushions. But the umbrella was cheap and can crank.
I am all about the crank. Wait.
Photobucket
Photobucket

 Our guests better appreciate the exhausting 15 minutes of work I put into this space. After getting the deck presentable (not perfect but it'll do in a pinch), I proceeded to devour that bowl of cherries whilst watching Mr. FC mow the lawn. Dude actually loves mowing the lawn. What. That's like saying "I love to vacuum." Weirdo.
Shannon asked: Now, these orbs, do you bring them inside when the party's over or do they stay hanging? I imagine I'd leave them out, then freak hurricane winds would arrive and all of a sudden, crazy glass death-balls would be flinging through the air into my neighbors window. Just curious ;)
@ Shannon: Hi, Shannanigans =] The orbs are glass & defintely a little fragile! I hung them using silver floral-gauge wire from Michael's. It's been slightly breezy here in Colorado, & though they sway a bit, they've held up just fine. However, I'd definitely bring them inside if there was adverse weather. Besides, I get scared when big fragile balls fly at me. OK. Awkward.
Sources:patio set/umbrella: Lowe's
striped cushions: Home Goods ($12/ea)
flowers/plants: Lowe's
**(stuff I rummaged up from my "supply closet")**terra cotta pots: our garage
ceramic garden stool: Big Lots, May 2010 ($20)
milkglass bowl: vintage
hanging tealight globes:
CB2 ($3.95/ea)
hurricanes: Target, 2009
 

Photobucket

34 comments:

  1. I loved how clean and simple the space turned out! My hubby and I are looking to buy our first home and the house we fell in love with has a little deck off the kitchen. This has given me some great ideas for how to add some interest to the space without overcrowding it. Your deck is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those tealight globes! And I can't believe you found that ceramic garden stool for $20! That was probably the one day I didn't look at the Big Lots add. Shoot. Well It all looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oo have me over for deck time! So cute and eclectic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh - the lights are so fun. I looked at those garden stools and Big Lots and walked away. Now I'm thinking I need to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute! I love those hanging candle globes! They're very Vern Yip of you...and I mean that as a compliment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just saw the exact same garden stool @ big slots on Sunday... I think I might need to go back & get that one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ummm, the tealight globes are beautiful. I've had my eye on them for years but never could figure out a practical use for them. Enter FC, my hero. The deck looks fab, just say the word and I'm there with wine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the candles and the impatients.

    Peace, Love and Chocolate
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those candle holders make the whole space! They're fabulous!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks effortless, FC. Love it! I'm the same as you--I wish I had a green thumb!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is it a coincidence that all my my fave bloggers live in CO with cutesy patios and outdoor whatnots? And they all want me to visit?

    Now, these orbs, do you bring them inside when the party's over or do they stay hanging? I imagine I'd leave them out, then freak hurricane winds would arrive and all of a sudden, crazy glass death-balls would be flinging through the air into my neighbors window. Just curious ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very inviting! Love the stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. girl please come to texas and help me..wow...talk about nice. the whole space is fab. great job.

    DID YOU ENTER THE WEST ELM GIVEAWAY?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Come on over anytime, ladies! We can have beverages on the deck, I can light the tealights, and debauchery can ensue. =]

    @ Shannon: The globes are glass & defintely fragile! I hung them using silver florist gauge wire from Michael's. It's been slightly breezy here & they've held up just fine. But I'd definitely bring the globes inside if there was adverse weather.

    Besides, it's scary when big fragile balls fly at me.....wait....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Me too, me too! I love the candle globes and green cushions!

    Is that rice in the hurricane? Nice! We always buy our rice in 40 lb bags, just for the two us, so I love seeing it used as home decor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ Suzie: Good eyes! It IS rice! I wanted sand but wasn't going to pay $3/ea for stupid sand, so I rustled up some rice from the pantry.

    Me too! We buy the huge bags of rice for just the two of us and it lasts forever. Plus that's how Asians do it. =]

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great... now I'm craving cherries.

    Oh, and I love the deck. Obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice! I like those stripey seat covers. And your white garden stool looks good out there too.

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh. I love the deck- wonderful usable outdoor entertaining space. *jealous*
    I got a pair of these garden stools & mine turned all yellowish after being outside for 2 months (or so). Just fair warning. And another To Do on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i love it! when can i come over?

    ReplyDelete
  21. What do we have to do to get a wide angle shot? I can't even tell what that umbrella looks like! I really want those orbs though. Lookin good!

    ReplyDelete
  22. @ emjohnston: Good to know!! Thank you! I might have to slip a cover over it or something, though it DOES sit in a shady corner of the deck, so maybe that'll help. *crossing fingers*

    @ sara: Oh you & your wild demands. =] I had a couple wide shots of the umbrella but it cut off the view of the globes so....that one of the underside of the umbrella is all you get. Click on over to the Starbucks link--ours looks EXACTLY like those. Classy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Really?

    The human foot is highly functional. It is important to find a shoe that understanding how the foot works. In my personal experience, one of them is the adidas shoes.Do you like athletic? Where you buy your athletic shoes? Do you know any shop offering aiddas outlet? Well, yesterday, I found one, very nice. You can have a try.Do you like Air Jordan 1, Air Jordan 4 and Air Jordan 13 ? Will you choose them? I hope you can give me a answer.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so glad Justin chimed in with his foot comment - so on topic I just don't know what I'd do without that knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a nice space! I really love those hanging candle/candle holders. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, i love the lights, they are so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. lmfao @ flying balls. Seriously FC. Seriously. Bwahahahahahahah.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm loving the green and white striped pillows with the pink flowers. Great job FC! By the way, ordered the votive holders. :) Thanks for the inspiration. Can't wait for them to come in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Looks great! I've been loving on those orbs for quite some time - I should probably just suck it up and go buy them already!

    ReplyDelete
  30. ottimo lavoro!angolino suggestivo!!!
    http://shabbyloggettoripensato.splinder.com/

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~