Cane back chair #2

If you invented the sump pump, you are awesome.

We're thanking our lucky stars for this invention. Don't let dry climates (like Colorado) fool you. Our neighborhood this summer holds the recipe for flooding: record-high temps + a ton of snowmelt trickling down from high up in the mountains + a problematic water table elevation = water seeping into basements.

(I just had Mr. FC the geologist help me type that because my brain got all fuzzy and drifted to the last episode of Whale Wars
when he explained it to me. You can nerd out on the topic of water tables and such here. Nerd out on Whale Wars here.)

Since this halted the basement reno progress, I decided to address the
second Cher chair waiting patiently in our garage. A lot of things are in our garage right now due to the basement chaos.

You better not rob me because I've got a
vicious security guard.

Also in our garage was this bolt of fabric. I had ordered it about a year ago with the intention of using it for throw pillows. I can't find it on the website but it's from JoAnn Fabrics (special order, ~$15/yd I think) and it's from the P. Kaufmann line? ----> edit: I re-checked the fabric tag & it must be mislabelled (it says P. Kaufmann Cross Section). Thank you so much to Courtney, who clarified that it's actually Waverly's cross section in charcoal. Also available for way cheaper online here!
Photobucket

After white spraypaint (satin), some light distressing w/ sandpaper, and new seat fabric: Photobucket

I don't exactly have a spot for this chair yet, but it'll probably go in the guest room when it's finished.
Meanwhile, I staged the scene to my heart's content. Photobucket

Based on my French lessons, I think this translates to "Have a seat".......or "Have a siege".
Either way really.
Photobucket

Oh, but that tiny wrinkle's bothering me..........

Photobucket

Photobucket

**********************************************************************************************
* P.S. Don't forget to enter the Shabby Apple dress giveaway!! *
**********************************************************************************************

29 comments:

  1. I've been contemplating that fabric in green for curtains in my office - LOVE it, and it looks fab on your chair (no one but you will notice the wrinkle!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have to siege this from you. ;) That is a fab-u-lous fabric for that chair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi FC

    have a seat is "asseyez-vous"

    "Avoir un siege" means "to own a chair"

    Love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Anonymous: I thought Asseyez-vous means "Sit down"? LOL, oh well, I guess I'm telling everyone to "Own a chair."

    I wonder if any French people are offended? Laughing? Should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great, I hav that fabric too - I'm it to make Euro pillows for our bedroom - can't go wrong with that pretty pattern

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ADORE THAT FABRIC! I Purchased it as well and its sitting in the box still waiting for a project! Your chair looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok WOW. I love that fabric!

    And the wrinkle would bother me, too...I think we have OCD :/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have throw pillows in the same fabric as well.. made them about a year ago. The fabric is actually Waverly's cross section though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That chair is amazing. And I'm still planning on doing the chalkboard thing to a frame that is patiently waiting for me. Maybe I should "own a chair" and think about it for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your style is sickening...I thought my head was killing me from my 10 hr shift at the Kroger Pharmacy BUT -- I think it is from gazing at that most adorable chair. When Mr. B & I buy are forever home do you think you could come help me? I will give you my sky miles. :)

    You are so brilliant! Your staging is "catalog" perfect.

    Cheers~
    e

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it. Of course i do.

    The fabric is really lovely, too. I have a terrible time finding the right fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  12. FC, you know I love it. I've been wanting that fabric for awhile now but it's sold out everywhere I look. I was going to use it for my dining room curtains but then found the Amy Butler fabric that I have now.

    You've done a great job again, girl.

    Boo for water in the basement. I know how it feels and I don't like it! Hope it's easily fixable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ever so beautiful. I've been following your lovely blog for a few months given by a recommendation, and I adore the style. Simple, beautiful, elegant, creative. Just beautiful! Your home looks like such a haven...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Um, absolutely adore it. Except for one thing - no bra in the photos. I was counting on another good lingerie peek show, I'll just have to go through my own underwear drawer now.

    But for real, LOVE the chair.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the seat FC! The fabric is perfect (wrinkle? what wrinkle? ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Our sump pump runs every day - I can't imagine not having it!
    Of course the chair is perfect. Now, I'm off to check CL for caning!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A-MA-ZING! Adore the fabric and it looks so good against your taupe walls!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I checked out the Shabby Apple website and am in LOVE with the "Yorkshire" tweed dress. Lovely and classy, I would die for any of these beautiful dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  19. here i go again...drooling away at another one of your DIY projects!!! i just love everything you do. that fabric is gorgeous in gray! job well done my friend! xo g

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would also like to thank the inventor of the sump pump. Keeps our basement dry as a bone!

    The chair looks great, but where are the bras???

    ReplyDelete
  21. CUTEST chair ever. Do you have one of those hand-held steamers that you can use on clothes? Maybe if you held that up to the chair you could smooth the wrinkle?

    I really, really like that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  22. it took me a really long time to find the tiny wrinkle...you're crazy...that chair look fabulous! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the chair - I never knew you could buy fabric through amazon - this is like a breakthrough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely Chair! I'm inspired.
    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  25. OH MY GOD. That fabric is AMAZING. I have been looking high and low for a drapery fabric for my dining room in grey, so I can make roman shades. I think you just found it. I am over here dying, no kidding. I will be ordering that fabric like tomorrow, cause I cannot find grey ANYWHERE.

    Is it a big or small print on that fabric? It looks like it's kind of big (maybe an inch and a half or so?) Do you think it would be good for a roman shade? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! This is an awesome transformation! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Okay it's Johnny come lately here! I've just found your blog & wow - it's fan-tab-uloso - love it! The way you've completed this chair, with the mixture of the glass vase and twiggy branch is such a gorgeous blend. Sonia

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~