Basement reno: tile talk

As I type this, I'm trying to ignore the thick layer of drywall dust that's settled on every surface in the upper level of our home, despite our contractors' best efforts.  I swear that even Hiro could be mistaken for a white dog at this point.  Oh well, inhaling residual drywall dust can't possibly lead to any health repurcussions, right? Right? Y'all?!

Anyway, now there are walls in our once unfinished basement.  Walls! Like I uttered yesterday: "We got walls and sh*t!" (FC fact #12: Sometimes, I have a potty mouth.)

Moving on.  I *think* we've chosen our shower tiles.  You might recall that the original plan was to install grey-blue glass tiles.  Easier said than done; we had a difficult time agreeing on anything we saw.  We came to the reluctant conclusion that the glass tiles we envisioned might overwhlem our small, windowless basement bathroom (we're aiming for light & airy).


I was hoping to avoid big box stores when it came to tiles--just wanted something "unique", you know?  Well wouldn't you know it, on one serendipitous day at Home Depot  there was a display of honed carrara marble subway tiles with an inset of mosaic glass tiles in cool grey-blue tones.  Here they are laid out on our kitchen table:
Photobucket

My pride's a bit wounded, as I had no part in dreaming up this combo since HD did all the creative work.  Light & airy? Check. Classic (cararra marble)? Check.  A touch of retro-modern (glass tiles)? Check.  The FCs all love it?  Sweet nectar of life, we've finally agreed on something. 

**** Photos of aforementioned walls to come next week. =]

22 comments:

  1. It's perfect!!!! The glass will pop and shine against the subway tile...and it's not like you're slumming it with marble!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. It maks me want to rip out the tile in my bathroom and start over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going to have the most luxurious basement this side of the Mississippi. I want to live in yoru basement. K, good, glad that's agreed upon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just used that mosaic tile as our backsplash--it's GORGEOUS up on the wall. Just be careful when choosing your grout colors; I was dumb for some reason and didn't expect the gray grout we used to (slightly) darken the glass tiles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! We're going to do something similar to our main bath next year. Only we're going with a porcelain tile that looks very, very much like real marble and is cheaper. The reason? Because real marble etches and stains. Did you know you can't use typical cleaners on marble? Only pH neutral ones. If you ever have hard water stains they will be almost impossible to get rid of because pH neutral cleaners don't work well on them. And simple everyday things like shaving cream can seriously etch it. There are so many different marble look a-likes you might want to consider one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ threeacers: Yup, the perils of using marble, right? Thank you for your advice. We currently have a marble vanity top in our upstairs bathroom & a marble backsplash in our kitchen so by now we're pretty schooled in how to take care of marble.
    Also, because these tiles are honed, there's less risk of etching. So worth the effort though! Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Mary: Ooh, good point! With marble in the past, we've made sure to seal the marble BEFORE grouting, so as not to stain the porous stones. We'll make sure to seal the glass tiles too (since there are natural stones interspersed into the mosaic). Thx!! =]

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used those same accent tiles in my shore bathroom. Its a great look.

    How much easier my life would have been during my limestone reno if HD carried those marble tiles back then. They were impossible to find back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tell you - when we get around to finishing our basement, I'm copying everything you do! It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE. That is all.

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  11. sealing should help, though the clear tiles also look darker because with the grout there's no light reflecting through the sides of them. Just warning you so you don't spend hours grouting and then have a freak out because it looks different!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carrerra always works! Loves it

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just beautiful. It's totally perfect. Can't wait to see it all come together. And, the blatantly copy the entire thing.

    Okay, just kidding.

    Kind of.

    ReplyDelete
  14. FC-I saw those tiles at Home Depot and I debated where I could use them. Yeah, no where in this little house. I am SO happy you are going to use them, though. I seriously can't wait for reveal pictures...I'm Giddy with a capital "G!"

    And, a new blog design? I was guilty of scrolling to the bottom to see the designer. Hehe! Isn't Lindsey superb?!?

    Your new design looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG! I'm dying here!

    Th tiles are absolutely gorgeous and I'm ready to see the reveal NOW! :) I already know it's gonna be fabulous!

    I love the new look and feel too, Girly! So chic and sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
  16. great choices! i'm looking forward to seeing how it all comes together.

    ReplyDelete
  17. cozy quarters post...do you have a picure of the rest of the house?
    -sarah

    ReplyDelete
  18. I jut have to say, I can't stop looking at your new look and feel. I LOVES it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The tiles looks great...I got the same tiles from my home depot, even though some of mine look a bit more grayish...
    What color of grout will you be using?? Im thiking of a really light gray ...you??

    Jen(at)madebygirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great combo! So glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  21. @ Jen MBG: We're thinking a platinum-colored grout, similar to what was used for the kitchen backsplash. Though now, we're starting to re-think these marble tiles......more on that later--ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  22. @ Joi & Suzie: Thx for noticing ladies!! I'm elated about the new look! Lindsay does fabulous work.

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~