liquid therapy (not wine)

I've been a little under the weather so lately there's nothing better than homemade chicken noodle soup.  Somehow I can always muster up just enough energy to throw together my quick version; call it FC's Lazy Soup because FC drinks too much wine whilst cooking & forgets to follow a recipe if you will.  My version is hardly gourmet nor ground-breaking but it beats gross, salty soup from a can (it's also ready in just minutes since there's no need to make your own broth).  You real chefs out there will probably scoff at my shortcuts, but I promise there are no shortcuts on flavor. 

I rarely measure when I cook because FC drinks too much wine whilst cooking & forgets to follow a recipe so I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Chop veggies (2 celery stalks, 3 carrots).
Saute in extra virgin olive oil (if you call it EVOO, I will punch you) for 7 minutes, medium heat (I like my veggies slightly crunchy).
Shred chicken (discard skin & bones).
Add broth (2 boxes), chicken, uncooked egg noodles (~2 cups), & herbs/seasoning (~1 tsp each) to sauteed veggies.
Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Most importantly, let your sous chef help you clean up food bits:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Oddly enough, I find that making my own chicken noodle soup is therapeutic in itself. Something about chopping the crisp veggies, pulling the tender chicken from the bone, and breathing in the aroma of broth & herbs, I suppose.  Here's to curling up with a simmering bowl of therapy. 

P.S.  On my wishlist (for making soups & such): a Le Creuset dutch oven.   I asked for a dutch oven for my birthday but Mr. FC couldn't stop snickering long enough to get me one.   =[

Back next week with more basement reno updates & some projects I've been working on.
Thanks for stopping by!

27 comments:

  1. Get the dutch oven! They are the best things ever!!!!!! Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made chicken soup last night, too! Well, at least the stock. I boiled up a chicken carcass from roast chicken we had on Monday. You should link up to Peas and Crayon's food linky party! www.peasandcrayons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in love with this recipe! And your Martha-y display of all the ingredients. Thanks for sharing, and I hope you'll feel better soon.

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Le Creuset is very well known, but I urge you to look into Staub (you can find this brand at Williams-Sonoma and Sur La Table too). I compared both, and the Staub just seemed to kill it both in online reviews and my own observations. I felt the handles were easier to hold, the textured enamel makes easier cooking, and the knob on top was both already metal (compared to the plastic La Creuset) and easier to hold. I don't work for them, but just thought I'd pass on what I found!

    Oh, and I make homemade noodles for my chicken noodle soup (because it's super easy and we never have egg noodles on hand) and after I sweep the leftover flour off the counter and onto the floor.....where my two dogs and kitten devour it (they're odd ducks for sure). Then I just have to mop the floor, but they think they've gotten a huge treat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. But...but...Staub doesn't come in turquoise! :)

    I call Baxter the Sous Chef, too. He's most excellent at cleaning up, especially if there is cheese involved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This made me laugh- a glass of wine (or three) and cooking go together, of course! My hubby prefers red wine while cooking, but never lets that interfere with precise measuring. That's the benefit (drawback?) of marrying a scientist.
    That soup looks so good, I might try it even though I feel just fine. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That dog of yours is so darn cute! Can't wait to see more basement updates. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great easy recipe! LOVE IT!

    And your husband is such a boy! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha - like the title! Hope you feel better soon. The soup looks very yummy and nurturing. Gorgeous sous chef by the way! What beautiful eyes and shiny black hair. Adorable. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. HeHe! You always bring a smile to my face! This sure beats making chix soup from scratch and looks delicious.

    Hiro is so adorable. Give him a big squeeze from Bunny.

    Bwahahaha: "(if you call it EVOO, I will punch you)"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you are on the mend my dear! Your sous chef is so fluffy....I am sure he loved every scrap he got. I will have to try this. I love soup on Sundays...mainly because I have the entire day to pig out on it. :)

    Oh...and love the pic of the prep...SOOO FOOD NETWORK perfect.

    Cheers~
    e

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmmmm tasty! Your pup is adorable. I love my LC cookware. I have a HUGE pot that was a gift from our wedding registry. I use it all the time.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm Mmm good, I'm going to try this recipe, thanks

    Your dog is smiling in the third picture, he is soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. omg, I am DYING laughing at the dutch oven comment, I had NEVER thought of that! I already know I'm getting one for my wedding shower and there is no WAY I will be able to open it up without thinking of you and this post and cracking up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! This is definitely my kind of cooking. :) And I giggled at the EVOO comment...that drives me CRAZY too! Especially when that certain food network star says "EVOO...extra virgin olive oil." What is the point of the acronym if you are just going to say it afterward?? Now I'm just rambling... Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks deelish, FC. Now, get to feeling better. : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. happy to have found you... love the name of your blog... the soup, your pooch and i am from colorado...
    xx pam

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh and the dutch oven... best investment ever..

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are so funny. Who cares if you drink too much wine while cooking? You'd probably think it tasted great anyways! Ha! Get better!
    xoxo
    Lila Ferraro

    ReplyDelete
  20. i am making it tonight.....how much onion and garlic do you usually saute?
    thanx!

    ReplyDelete
  21. @ Bella & LindsB: Glad you got the Dutch oven joke! HA! *giggle, snort*

    @ lulusparkles: I used 3 cloves of garlic & half a medium red onion but feel free to adjust to your preference. I'm a garlic/onion lover!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ohmygosh, that looks DELICIOUS!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  23. this soup looks delicious! and your dog is so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ha!! we were making countless dutch oven jokes last week when it was so effing cold! your soup look delish...and those same noodles make an appearance on our table at least once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just had to say I made this last night and it was cold and rainy outside. My family loved it and it was so easy!

    Thank you for sharing!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  26. looks delicious! Love the olive oil comment - I totally feel the same way!

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~