seafan(tastic) #2

How is everyone this Monday morning?  I'm suffering from a post-SuperBowl queso/chips/ribs/hummus hangover.  Our friends hosted a great gameday get-together (yay Packers). 

Us being us, we brought organic blue corn chips, carrot chips & hummus.  It being Boulder County, so did everyone else.

Anyway, before we resigned ourselves to gorging on food & watching the SuperBowl (& PuppyBowl), I assembled some art for the basement/guest bathroom.  It's nothing totally original as it's similar to what I did for our upstairs bathroom.  Obviously I love seafans, perhaps because we're so landlocked here in Colorado.  This time I went in a slightly different direction: another species of seafan & a contrasting color.

Photobucket

A coat of white spraypaint accentuates the webbing & veins.  It looks a bit like lace, yes?
Photobucket

Photobucket


Ha, can you see my hands..........
Photobucket

Photobucket


seafan: ebay seller Wagners ($16 for a 12x10 seafan, free shipping)
shadowbox: Michael's ($10 during a 50% off sale)
white spraypaint: leftover from previous projects ("free")
*I refrained from clipping the stem b/c I like the organic look of it.*
*The seafan is held in place by a strip of black double-sided tape. It's virtually invisible.*
________________________________________________
total = ~ $26


Not bad, considering Restoration Expensiveware (as my blog friend Kim calls it) is asking $550 for theirs (what.the.eff. for reals):

29 comments:

  1. Glad you posted this! We have a few of those and had them out last night wondering what we could do with them.. never though of painting them! It looks really great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so fabulous. Thanks for sharing; I'm definitely trying this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great. I like it in white and I love the price.

    And the fact that I just hit it big with a mention on the FC blog? Fabulous. I feel like the paparrazi will start following me around at any moment. The challenges of being in the spotlight...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel just as stuffed as you do! Damn superbowl!

    LOVE THE ART FC! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That it super pretty. May have to get one for our art wall!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's times like these when I want to send RH a link and say, "LOOK you, LOOK at this! This is as awesome as yours but a billion times cheaper. You suck! Now lower your prices. Do it!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a big ole SUCK ITTTTT to Restoration Hardware!

    Looks fan-- stastic. Like how I did that? C'mon, you chuckled. Admit it.

    Seriously though, loves it. Especially in white.

    LB

    ReplyDelete
  8. just realized you pulled the same joke in the blog title. Lizziebeth FAIL.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVES IT! The stark white against the bold black is bold and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. fantabuloso! So elegant in the black and white. A great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely lovely...so when can I expect to receive mine in the mail? I am in awe that something like a sea fan can run $550. Who are these people that buy that at that price? And do they need a bestie? :)

    Cheers~
    e

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seriously restoration hardware??? I hate that place (or love to hate it). Anyway, your seafan is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This came out great! I would have gone back and forth about painting it, but it looks amazing! I have had my eyes open for sea fans. Ebay, huh? I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Why mess with a great piece of art when it works?

    P.S. Yours is better than Restoration Expensiveware anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so beautiful!! Restoration Hardware is a ridiculous company. I've never purchased anything from those yahoos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh! It's lovely. 500 dollars less and just as beautiful as the inspiration. I have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. woo-hoo...suck it RH!!! looks great...I actually like yours better!

    and your basement tiles are divine!

    ReplyDelete
  18. that is absolutely gorgeous. you're right about it resembling lace. Gosh, I love how things found in nature can be so detailed and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks awesome! By the way I really like the bathroom tile you ended up choosing...we're going to be tiling a bathroom in the future so I am on the lookout for tiling ideas! Thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow this looks awesome! It really is so cute.This is such a great idea that now I am on the hunt for some of these on e-bay.

    ReplyDelete
  21. in my kids voice...THATS PERRRTY.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the way yours turned out! Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. beautiful! a little white goes a looong way!...(following you now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, super impressive. I love it!
    Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~