DIY candle sleeves

Hope you all had a great weekend!  We attended a lovely wedding in Denver & I realized:
a) Weddings are not as fun sober.
b) I'm not as fun sober.

I recently made a subtle/easy update to our dining room chandelier. Though I would love to replace our current one (a clearance item from Home Depot) with a statement-making fixture (this one's fun), I can't really justify it at the moment. The current fixture functions and blends in just fine with our current aesthetics.

So I just customized ours a bit with more interesting candle sleeves which took mere minutes. Inexpensive (unlike these, chic as they are) & not at all permanent, so I won't feel guilty if the urge to change it up strikes (it inevitably always does).  Inspired by Jeannine's project, I measured scrap book paper that I already had, cut, attached the sleeves, & instead of a glue stick, I used matte tape to join the seams; it's practically invisible.
Photobucket
Photobucket
DISCLAIMER: Depending on the bulb wattage/type of paper/length of time you leave your light on, you might want to be attentive of any potential flammable hazards.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Subtle, I know (did I mention I'm color-phobic) but I like it enough for now.  I guess not even a light fixture can escape my grasp.  This must be why I'm not allowed over at any of our friends' houses, or so I tell myself.  No worries, I'll just keep driving by their homes.  Slowly.  At night.  Every night. Whilst peering through any window I can.  Stalking is like really time-consuming though.

14 comments:

  1. Hilarious - I have a post of the same thing (of course with my light instead) going up on my blog this week.

    They look great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Heather: Ooh, can't wait to see yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last paragraph was hilarious. And I think your candle sleeves look just as good as the $25/each ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stalking IS time consuming, but totally worth it. I thought your light fixture looked different when I peeked in the windows last night.

    ;)

    Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute idea! Your chandy looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! It looks great! I might change mine, now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute! Such a simple easy change:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure you're just as fun sober. And I bet everyone else is pretty annoying when they're drunk. Nice DIY :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. dude -- I sooo did the same project!
    i like your paper better. And i thought I'd change mine out often...haven't touched them since.

    http://hisugarplum.blogspot.com/2010/05/80s-called-they-want-their-brass-back.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear, let's face it, I've discovered a sad little secret that much of life would be easier with a glass of wine in hand. My friends keep telling me it's only 5 more months. Uh huh.

    I think this chandelier update is a super smart idea for a quick and inexpensive update.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it.

    I was sad about not having wine while I was pregnant, and then realized that I wouldn't be having wine longer than that, since I planned to breastfeed. I did have some wine anyway, though, after the bebe came, and he's six now and brilliant (of course!), so evidently it didn't hurt him. But I definitely had to take it waaaay easier than I had before becoming a mother. A hangover doesn't go well with late nights/early mornings anyway.

    Sorry--unsolicited advice/info. Just what you wanted!

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally awesome, like totally, or likes something.

    Sorry, I've been in Southern Cali so I'm all Valley Girl today.

    Seriously, love it! And I agree, I'm no fun sober either, much prefer myself tipsy!
    xo
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  13. I freaking adore it! You are so amazing with the details, Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am totally stealing this idea. I have loved those candle sleeves from afar for years now, but the last house had all those built-in light fixtures... wop wop. First thing I bought for this house was a pretty, cheapo chandelier for my dining room, very similar to yours!

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~