Basement reno: completed guest bathroom


I don't know why it's taken me forever to post about the completed basement/guest bathroom, but here it is.  Sorry it took me so long to get my act together (I blame the peanut, the little stinker) & I hope the finished product doesn't disappoint.  The construction dust has finally settled, the room's gotten a thorough cleaning, & I finally got the last details to fall into place.  It's a small windowless bathroom, so we did our best to keep it light, simple, & budget-friendly.

First the pics, then the details & breakdown (at bottom of post). 
Here are a buttload of photos, prepare yourselves:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
We strayed from my original idea board a bit, much to my chagrin, but oh well. I didn't dwell on the changes too much............just for a few months weeks .  I'm referring to:

* {my beloved side-by-side sconces} Due to the original plumbing, the sink had to be placed in a very specific spot......which meant the mirror had to be centered above it..........which meant there wouldn't be room for the sconces on either side (no matter the size of the mirror). We contemplated repositioning the plumbing but couldn't justify the cost of concrete cutting, etc.
* {the gorgeous beaded, beveled, budget mirror} No wonder it was so inexpensive. Once it was hung, we noticed that the bottom half had a defect where it warped our reflection. The effect was vertigo-inducing so we nixed it. It was also a bit too glam for Mr. FC's taste (eye roll, big sigh) so we went with a more traditional mirror.
* {my plan for a custom shower curtain} I have no excuse except that time got away from us & we had to buy a shower curtain pronto for overnight guests. I'd like to eventually have a custom-made shower curtain but that can wait.
* {the beadboard paneling} It was too cottage-y for us, so the plan is to eventually add board & batten.  Rainy day(s) project perhaps?

THE DETAILS
(sorry I don't have the energy to plug in all the prices but let me know if you need specifics, I'll be happy to provide them!) :

toilet & sink:
Kohler Memoirs (Home Depot)
bathtub: Kohler (Home Depot)
mirror: Home Depot
light: Bellacor --> sconces be damned, I really do love the nautical look of this fixture!
faucet: Symmons (the Carrington in chrome)
tiles: Crossville Ceramic Co from The Great Indoors, 6x24 planks (color: Lead) promo $9/sq ft (originally $14/sq ft)
floor grout: Lowe's (warm gray)
white subway tiles: Daltile from Home Depot
accent tiles: a mix of honed carrara marble, polished Calcutta marble, & aqua/grey sea-glasss from Bedrosian's, Denver location ($10.50/sq ft sheet)
faux bois hand towel: West Elm
shower curtain/liner: Target's Fieldcrest Luxury line
curtain hooks: Target
framed seafan: DIY, details here
bath accessories (vanity tray, jar): Target
soap dispenser: Target
soy candle: Anthropologie (smells like clementines, yum)
wall color: Benjamin Moore Gray Owl color matched in Sherwin Williams Harmony No VOC paint (painted eons ago)


See more of our basement reno journey here.
Click here to see our other bathroom reno.
Thanks for dropping by!

46 comments:

  1. Agreed! Love the floor tiles. If I were your guest, I would want to sleep on the tile floor. Its gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's BEEEAAAAUTIFUL FC! I love it, you did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowza...that is an amazing bathroom! We are in the process of finishing our basement & bath too. I adore your faucet, so I might have to copy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! Love the floor tiles!!!!!
    www.scoutjones.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Freckles Chick, I found your blog on decorpad...you have a new follower.

    i love, love, love the tile - wow! it is beautiful. love the framed seafan...thanks for sharing w/us - I will borrow this idea! :)

    Check out my blog when you have a minute.

    Hugs,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous bathroom. I particularly love the fixtures and the tiling. We used that same accent tile, the mosaic in our basement bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That mirror and framed sea fan our gorgeous- really, the whole bathroom is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The tile is to die for... Beautiful, so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! Everything you picked out looks so nice together... and that floor!!

    Also, a good reminder that I've been meaning to copy that sea fan idea from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks amazing! I love all of your tile choices!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely gorgeous! We have similar taste - I used the same toilet/sink in our basement bath as well as a very similar faucet :-)

    It really looks gorgeous and the light is perfect!

    PS where did you get the toilet paper holder?

    ReplyDelete
  12. STUNNING!! Love the colour scheme... and the tiles!

    ReplyDelete
  13. THANKS SO MUCH YOU GUYS!!!!

    @ Sandra: Welcome! Love decorpad buddies =] Off to check out your blog.

    @ Life: The TP holder's a Home Goods/TJ Maxx find! ~$10, if I recall correctly. Also, THANK YOU for tweeting about our bathroom reno, you rock!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! I love the flooring.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for all the details. Did the mirror have to be mounted to studs? I love the mirror, but I have a stud dead center.

    I want your soap dispenser too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's quite lovely. All of it. But, for some reason I'm most enthralled with the toilet. Who the hell focuses on a toilet in a gorgeous bathroom photo? I just like the base of it. Fancy pants toilet.

    Which reminds me, the dude at Menards told us that our toilet is the Cadillac of toilets when we bought it. You know that thing was in our cart faster than you can say, "How can you compare a toilet to a luxury automobile?" I mean, you gotta splurge somewhere, right.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the flooring and the faux bois hand towel! Awesome renovation!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @ Pine Tree Home: We were only lucky enough to hit one stud (the left side) so for the other side we used heavy duty drywall anchors. The mirror's surprisingly light, but we didn't want to take any risks. I think if you use heavy duty drywall anchors, you should be fine.

    @ Kim: If I ever sit on this toilet, I will always envision a Cadillac when I'm doing my bidness.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I want to marry it or get married in there. It's that pretty.

    Nice work, you two! Your guests are lucky.

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have seriously outdone yourself! The shower nooks are crazy smart. When can I come over and shower? :) I love all of the details, FC!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Now, this is the kind of bathroom that I like to fall asleep in. Er, I mean brush my teeth in. WHo falls asleep in a bathroom??!? Surely, not I. And since I can't come up with an original thought about your hotness bathroom I'll just list the things I want: floor tiles, woodgrain towels, yum smelling candle. All supersuper pretty choices FC!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's absolutely gorgeous! Every single detail!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's fantastic! I love, love, love the floor time. It's so perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. FAAAAAAAAAB!!! Especially love all the tiles! You have some rocking taste!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love it! That shower curtain is gorgeous, so don't feel bad about not DIYing one! And that pedestal sink is TOO fabulous. Well done, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is so fantastic. Thank goodness our house didn't need remodeling because I don't have the creativeness for projects to turn out this beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yum! The faucet is spectacular! I love the sink and toilet you picked, too. Just enough detail without being fussy, perfect! The floor is to.die.for.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful reno! I love the tile choices. Congratulations on your baby news.

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love all the choices you made for this bathroom - looks FAB! I think my two favorites would be the light fixture and the spot above the toilet. Congrats on a finished project!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh FC - it's stunning! I love everything about it. Seriously.

    And I just saw a nursery post, but now it's missing. Can't freaking wait!

    ReplyDelete
  31. First off, it's clearly fabulous. I would expect nothing less.

    Secondly, my dear colorphobic friend, I dare you to inject some color into this baby's room. You can do it. I have faith in you. Start off slow with a sage green. I am here for you ;)

    Thirdly, is it strange I am having a slight love affair with that faucet? To the point where JEGs might get jealous...???

    LB

    ReplyDelete
  32. @ Em: Thanks girly! BAHAHAHA, I accidentally hit publish whilst putting together a post about the nursery. I had this moment of fear followed by "Save as draft! Save as draft dammit!"

    @ LB: I too have an unhealthy crush on the faucet. I might or might not be caught caressing it each night. Also, you'd think I'd take this nursery idea board opportunity to inject some color into our lives but then I started to hyperventilate & had to shut the computer off. =[ We shall see!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Be still, my beating heart! I hope our basement bathroom can look HALF this amazing when we finally finish it someday! Thanks for sharing all the deets about where you got everything.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Definitely one of the best bathrooms I've seen. The design, the floor tiles, they are just perfect. Love this bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Very pretty! But I'm wondering why you did brushed fixtures for the tub/shower & chrome for the sink?

    ReplyDelete
  36. Honestly? We needed to install the shower fixture quickly one day (long story) so this is just a cheap set that will do for the time being. It's NOT staying. We have bigger fish to fry right now so who knows when we'll change it out.

    Besides, I don't mind when metals are mixed! Take a peek thru my house & you'll be appalled, HA!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi, I just came across your site and love your house. I love both the floor tile and accent tile but your links to them arn't working. . . is this the same accent tile you used?

    http://www.bedrosians.com/catalog/m=Glass/s=Tiffany_Glass_Mosaic/c=Gray_White/p=GLSMGTG3

    ReplyDelete
  38. @ Rhonda: Sorry about the links! Yes, that IS the accent tile we used!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great bathroom! My only question is, what do you do for storage in there? I have a small bathroom with absolutely no storage space or closet, and the sink has to be a pedestal, so no space underneath either. I'm not sure what to do to help..Do you have any ideas? All of the shelving I see is ugly/too bulky, etc.:( Thank you!
    ps- I love your home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. @ Dani: Thanks so much!! For storage, we have a linen closet near the bathroom for towels, TP, etc. Since it's a guest bath, toiletries are usually kept on the pedestal sink during their stay (the sink has quite a bit of surface space surprisingly).

    As for suggestions...I've seen bloggers use pretty natural woven baskets under their pedestal sinks (adds great texture too). I've also seen vintage wire baskets mounted to the wall to add storage (the wire baskets are visually "lighter" than bulky shelves). Or maybe try clear acrylic shelves--that can be visually pleasing too.

    For toiletries, etc. you can install a mirror w/ a built-in medicine cabinet. If you don't want to bother w/ recessing it, there are medicine cabinets that can just be hung on the wall as is. I love this look:
    http://nameisgrace.blogspot.com/2010/01/master-bath-reveal-part-i.html

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  41. It looks amazing! I was searching for bathroom floor tiles and found your post on Pinterest--thank goodness because it is exactly what I needed! Your bathroom looks great and I appreciate your materials list so I can use some of the same in our master bath redo. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  42. came across the floor tile picture on Pinterest and just had to comment on how much I love this bathroom. We're getting ready to redo our son's bathroom and have been debating white subway tile with a gray floor. This combo with the mixed accent tile is exactly what we've been looking for. Love, love, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  43. i love the style..its so simple but very elegant to look at..i buy my bathroom accessories at sydney bathroom supplies they have everything that you've wanted

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi! Anyone have any luck finding the floor tiles? I absolutely love them but I cannot find them!

    ReplyDelete
  45. The links are not working for the tile, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~