Nursery Diaries: Part 3

As I'm at 33 wks in my pregnancy, the race is on to pull the elements of the nursery together.  Which is sort of silly as she will most likely sleep in a basinette in our room for the first few weeks.........but then again, I doubt we'll have even one moment to attend to anything besides the Peanut in those early weeks.  So, better now than later, right?

I know how fortunate I am to be feeling pretty good thus far; I'm not taking that for granted at all!  My energy level has allowed me to function somewhere between full throttle (i.e., bouncing off walls) & pleasantly productive.  Mr. FC keeps reminding me to take it easy.  Uh, excuse me, have we met?!  Call it the nesting instinct or more likely, call me the type who rarely sits still, it just feels really good to check things off our "Prep For Baby Checklist".  So in between doctors's appointments, birthing classes, working, & life we've been plugging away at the nursery any chance we get.......and trying to savor every minute of this journey because it really flies by so quickly.  Hope you don't mind these little updates as we plod along versus an instant gratification reveal!

I found this  sturdy 1950's real wood dresser on Craigs List a few weeks ago for $75 (which is a deal for our area).  It has the perfect dimensions for a changing table with storage to boot.  It just looked like it had been hit with the ugly stick too many times.
Nothing a good sand & paint job can't fix.

The only way Mr. FC will allow me to paint currently: outside in the fresh air, with gloves, & lots of water breaks.

I wanted to seal & stainblock the piece so I primed it inside & out.
Not gonna lie, this piece was sort of a beeotch to prime, lots of nooks & crannies.
FYI: we discovered Kilz Clean Start primer (zero VOC) over a year ago & it's our preferred primer.

Pardon the grainy photos.  Our camera's been temperamental & pooping out on us lately. 

I just love these art deco Anthropologie knobs
So, I originally replaced all the knobs with them but the overall effect was too......gaudy. 
So I toned it down with simple antiqued gold knobs from Home Depot.

One of my favorite details are the knobbly legs.

In other news, I ordered some fabric samples from Tonic Living for the nursery drapes.
I've already picked my favorite.  Any guesses? =]
Edited to add: use code RAMBLING for 10% off your Tonic Living order, courtesy of Rambling Renovaters.  Thanks so much, Jen!!

More to come in this nursery saga.  Please contain your excitement.
I know I'm so stoked, I could just pee.

{ Read more Nursery Diaries here. }


  1. the dresser looks pretty! Love those knobs!

  2. Looks great! I like how you mixed up the knobs. I'm guessing you like the first fabric. P.S. Use the code RAMBLING to get 10% off your order from Tonic Living ;)

  3. @ Jen: THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!! I'll definitely use that code--so excited, thanks for sharing!

  4. You sure you have a baby in the belly, or did you just swallow a softball? You look GREAT FC!!!! And I love the dresser! I can't wait to see it all come together!

  5. I've been obsessed with those Anthro knows too! It looks great!

  6. Love the dresser! What an inspiration you are. Also love that wall decal. Thinking of getting one for my baby girl. Good luck to you and take care.

  7. I get so excited to read your nursery posts! I am not ready to have kids yet so I am enjoying watching your process of decorating the nursery! I love everything so far! :)

  8. love the dresser! looks great. We are going to start the nursery in a few weeks, i am so scrambled with ideas, i can hardly contain myself. I might pee with you!!

  9. Aaaahh!! So excited for you!! Is that weird? Love the dresser and the colors so far, can't wait to see more!
    PS. You look super cute!

  10. The dresser looks lovely. I can't believe you are that far along already--so, so exciting!

    My guess for your fabric choice is the one in the middle...can't wait to see which one you choose. Love you!

  11. my goodness - you are the cutest preggo! i have been in love with those anthro knobs forever and have been plotting a place to use them - perhaps i shall just live vicariously through you ;) the dresser looks fantastic!

  12. I was impressed with the dresser, until I saw the pic of you and your tiny body and your adorable little tiny buddha belly!!!! you look incredible! you could do this pregnant thing for a living. Just sayin

    And yes, love the dresser and love the little updates. you kidding me? it takes me 87 posts to finish one room!

  13. Oh I like it! Yeah, the different knobs were the way to go. As for the curtains, I'd vote for the middle one as your fave. Or am I voting for my fave? Who knows.

  14. the finish product looks really great!!:D nice job!

  15. Great job on the dresser! I'm also madly in love with the knobby legs. For fabric choice I pick the middle option. It looks like the perfect fit to go with the nursery inspiration board.

    You and pregnancy definitely agree with one another. I would never have guessed 33 weeks... Hope you keep feeling great!

  16. I really like the dresser! Love the legs on it.

    And, you? I like the legs on you, too. (Okay, I was just trying to connect.) You do look darn cute, though!

  17. Wow the dresser looks amazing. So crisp and classic. Great job!

  18. The dresser looks fantastic.

    OMG! How cute are you? You're like those pregnant super models. Can't tell you're pregnant from behind.It's getting so close. :)

  19. Oops, I'm gonna guess the middle fabric. All three are beautiful.


Let's get weird up in here.
~Freckles Chick~