Nursery Diaries: Part 4

Sorry for the lack of posts! 
Whoever said that the nesting instinct really kicks in when a prego approaches her due date wasn't lying. I'm 36 weeks now & my nesting instinct has kicked into hyper overdrive.  Over the past few days I've cleaned out the fridge, rearranged the pantry, did maintenance on the washer/dryer, laundered & organized the Peanut's clothes, prepared freezer meals for the week after we get home from the hospital, purged old files at work, & cleaned out my car.  This is what happens when FC's sober  got the nesting bug.

Remember my ideas for the nursery?  One of my goals was to repurpose some items we already have which brings me to the ceramic garden stool we had sitting on our deck.  It was orginally white but the sun had yellowed it; some of the paint had also chipped off.  I wanted to spraypaint it (for that glossy, even finish) a raspberry color but was worried about the off-gassing (spraypaint fumes are horrible).  I considered hand-brushing it using no VOC paint but was concerned about an uneven finish & the time-consuming factor.  So I called a couple green hardware stores in the Boulder area (no shortage of those around here) & they both suggested sealing the spraypaint with this stuffNote: Acrylacq is not no VOC; it's low VOC & helps prevent off-gassing.  It's not the perfect solution but it comes close.  A little pricey for a quart but there's so much left over for future projects.

I spraypainted the ceramic stool, let it cure in our garage for a week (OK, I forgot about it), applied a couple coats of Acrylacq (follow the instructions on the can), and let that cure for a few days. 

Regarding my glider/rocker debate..............
I was hesitant to spend beaucoup bucks on a chair that might or might not get use.  Some people (friends, family, & bloggers) have told me they can't live without theirs & others said they barely touched their glider/rocker.  We also ran into the problem of space; the nursery is small & most upholstered rockers are too mammoth-sized for this space (I'm not a fan of those wooden gliders with the padding due to my decrepit back issues). 

So when I stumbled upon two talented bloggers who turned the Ikea Jennylund accent chair into swivel -rockers, I was stoked. 

{All Growed Up's chair turned swivel-rocker}

{Mrs. Wigglebottom's chair turned swivel-rocker}

THANKS A MILLION, LADIES!! 
Here's ours (we haven't added the rocking mechanism yet). 
This chair's affordable, so comfy, low profile, & I can throw that slipcover in the wash as needed.
Bring on the spit-up & poop explosions.
Also, after googling the crap out of this chair, it's reassuring to see that a lot of bloggers have it in their nurseries, too.



Still chugging along but I think this little lady's room will be ready for a full reveal soon.
=]

{ Read more Nursery Diaries here }

30 comments:

  1. The garden stool looks so cute in the berry shade! :) We went the non conventional route too with our nursery chair, found a super comfy chair at World Market the has a slipcover - love that I can wash it whenever!

    One thing I will say is a must (our baby is 4mos) is an ottoman!! I've fallen asleep so many times with my feet up in the chair thanks to the ottoman

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Mrs Chic: So good to hear that you went the unconventional chair route too! We just have to do what's best for us, regardless of other's opinions. =]

    I hear ya! We are on the quest for a comfy ottoman & are waffling between a storage ottoman or one of those pouf ottomans. Oy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore the pink stool. I'm thinking I need to try spraying mine, too. It's also turned yellow from being outdoors. Love the pop of pink.

    Also, great tip on adding the swivel to the chair. How have I never thought of doing this? (Not that I need a swivel chair. But now I kind of want one.)

    PS - next time you are in the neighborhood on the drive-by. Stop in. I could use that nesting instinct to help me clean and organize my house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, you can add a swivel to an Ikea chair? Where were you 16 months ago when I decided to forego the glider? K, now I need to knock out another kid so I can do this exact same thing

    Enough about me, this nursery is freaking fabulous, FC. LOOOVE it. Cannot wait to "meet" the Freckles Chicklet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I feel like the best part of that freaking glider ikea chair is that in however many years when you're done knocking out mini freckles chicks, you can convert it back into a chair. Sorry, I'm just totally blown away by this and can't stop thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just letting you know I think your blog is great and I've given you an award that was given to me. No pressure, just letting you know. If you want to participate check my blog at www.colonialcurvecottage.blogspot.com and if not, totally cool. I still like your blog :) Not spam, not a cult and not a plea for money or more readership. Just some kudos from me to you.
    PS...I have a gold garden seat that I've been aching to spray paint but was too chicken. I think I'm brave now. Your awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. first of all, that garden stool is the cutest thing ever! what a great idea to paint it! secondly, I have the jennylund chair in my daughter's nursery and I LOVE it. It is super comfortable, looks great, and was cheap! If I would have known you convert it into a rocker I'd have totally done that too! Love it. Can't wait to see the big nursery reveal :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The stool is precious but at first glance it looks like a cage to keep peanut in when she gets noisy. I'm kidding!

    I love the pop of raspberry with the whiteness of the chair!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The garden stool turned out perfect :)

    I have a upholstered chair, not a rocker, with a pouf and I hope it will work out. But this is a great solution, never thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW, I'm so glad you researched this so now you're a one-stop shop for this information. You've just saved me LOTS of money! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. did you say stool and poop explosion in a single post? awesome.

    the 'stool' is super cute, and perfect for your jumbo glass of wine you'll be enjoying in T minus 4 weeks!!! woop!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's perfect and I love the garden stool. Such a fantastic pop of color. Girl, you have so much energy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the color you picked for the stool! So pretty!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to paint everything in my house that color. It's beautiful. And then I will probably want to add a swivel rocker to everything too.

    LOVE!

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so saving this project for our nursery!!! Love it...thanks for sharing, FC. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your blog! I was wondering what kind of spray paint you used for the stool. Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ Anonymous: I used Krylon Indoor/Outdoor spraypaint in gloss Raspberry (see 2nd pic in post). Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That raspberry stool is to die for, sexy pants!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the garden stool!! So pretty! And what a great idea to just DIY your own glider!!! We used ours A LOT!!!! Even when the kiddies aren't wee babes anymore, it is SO nice when they are sick and need to just be held/bounced constantly!!
    You may have already checked this out, but we loved Happiest Baby on the Block! Seriously AWESOME calming techniques!! Don't bother reading the book if you can get your hands on his DVD. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was lusting after the Pottery Barn rockers myself after baby #2, but as you said: $$$$ + lack of space + will I use it? = let's stick to a normal comfy chair :-)

    I wish I had known we could turn it into a rocker! Unfortunately we are both very much craft-impaired ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Heya, lady! Your nursery is coming along beautifully... great work!
    So, did you do anything to prep your stool (lmao, @Cassie!) before painting? I've got 2 that are still outside and quite yellow... one's even gotten a bit chippy. That's what I get for buying the $20 cheapies, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the new color of the new stool color. Really makes it pop.

    ReplyDelete
  23. @ Samantha: Thank you so much for the award, what an honor!! ::blushing furiously:: You're hilarious--I'd join your cult ANY day, for reals. =]

    @ Genelle: Now that you mention it, I can't look at the stool & NOT think of it's multi-functionality! HA!! Our friend called the crib a "cage for the baby" too.

    @ Cassie: I TOTALLY said "stool" & "poop explosion" in the same post. I did it all for you, C. That's how much I love you. HA!

    @ Em J: LMAO @ "prep your stool". All I did to prep it b/f spraypainting was to hose off the dirt & grime, wiped it dry, & that's it! Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is such a beautiful pink color!

    I confess.. I have barely used my rocker in our nursery. I mostly nurse on the couch or on our bed, and rocking him to sleep in my arms. I have a feeling the rocker is going to be relocated in the near future.

    LB

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi there! So in love with the swivel + rocker chair idea. Has the DIY element held up for you so far? Hope you and baby are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  26. If you choose a glider, you’ll want to know if the bearings, which run the gliding mechanism, have a warranty. They get a lot of wear over time.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just found your post through Pinterest. I have that exact IKEA chair on my nursery shopping list even though my husband really wants a glider. This can give us the best of both worlds. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, I hope it works out for you! :) Thanks so much for stopping by!
      xoxo

      Delete
  28. Can you tell me where I would find a glider mechanism? I don't know where to start looking! I love this idea.. Picking up a chair at ikea tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bloggers who turned their IKEA chairs into rockers actually used "swivel" mechanisms like this one: http://www.swivel-chair-parts.com/154RockerSwiveLeg.html
      So the chair becomes more of a rocking chair than a glider. Hope this helps! :-)

      Delete

Your comments are like a good wine buzz. Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~