Shelves & such

I get a lot of emails asking me about the open shelves above our stove.  It's usually some variation of: Do the shelves & acoutrements get crazy dusty/greasy/etc?  Have they warped due to steam from cooking?

As you can see, our kitchen is tiny so we have to use every inch of vertical space while we save up for a full kitchen renovation (possibly next year?).  There used to be a weird cabinet above the stove that was more an eyesore than it was functional, so we ripped that out (along w/ half the wall) & added shelves.  Now, I don't know if our shelves-above-a-stove installation are up to code but this is a temporary fix; it might be worth checking out.  This was just the most efficient & inexpensive solution for us.
I don't use our cakestand for cakes.......I use it to display my chill pills vitamins.

It's been almost 1 year now & I can honestly report that the shelves have not warped.  We (well, I) cook a lot & even though there's no range hood, we make sure there's adequate ventilation (the window right next to the stove gets cracked open, even in the dead of winter).  Plus the shelves are shallow enough & installed high enough--they're not even warm to the touch when the stove's on full blast.  As for dust, I just give everything a quick Swiffer once every other week & a damp cloth wipe-down once a month.  That's it.  The concerns about grease & grime?  It's never been a problem for us.  Perhaps it's because we usually don't make fried foods?  Bacon & such get baked in the oven & everything else is quickly sauteed or steamed w/ a lid on it.

The silliest things make me feel more in control of life these days.....like these chalkboard labels I slapped onto the jars of dried goods.  I discovered they were necessary when our family & friends were kindly cooking for us in the early hazy 'have a newborn baby' days. There were way too many salt/sugar/what is that confusions.
Have you ever used chalk ink?
I discovered these last year when I saw an employee at a cafe use one to write the daily specials--
it's awesome.
ETA: The chalk ink markers were a Michael's store purchase!



Towels are these from a pregnancy-induced West Elm shopping spree I went on back in November '11 when I was 1 week & 5 days past due.  I was huge.  I was uncomfortable.  I was grumpy.  
I couldn't turn to wine therapy so I turned to retail therapy.


I stole a sprig of forsythia from my neighbor.  She doesn't know it yet.  
Can't wait for her peonies to bloom. =]

Finally got a toaster from this decade.
 Finally found out that toasters come w/ crumb trays now.

See that paint transition above the curtains rod? 
Not my proudest decor decision but it had to be done.
Mr. FC laughed when I dumped olive oil into a maple syrup dispenser.....then  he actually used it & declared it awesome. 
I got berries.


Any kitchen goings-ons in your home lately?

32 comments:

  1. loving the olive oil in the syrup dispenser! that is genius. and pretty.

    I live in dusty West Texas, still not too sure about open shelving over here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ bevy: I hear ya on the dust! We're in dry Colorado country & there's dust accumulation like cuh-razy. Still not too much of an issue as long as I dust every other week or so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your home is gorgeous. your kitchen is very well designed/decorated so you dont really notice the small size! and i love the shelves.
    and BTW i did a whole blog post about cake stands used around the house in almost every room. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love me a good pregnancy induced shopping spree, wheeeee! Of course I don't have that excuse anymore, so let's think of a new one... hmmmmm.... How about a "I'm one day closer to 40 shopping spree?" Yes!

    Love your shelving and your kitchen, thanks for your sweet comment the other day!

    xoxo
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I steal your olive oil dispenser idea?? I always want to buy one of those syrup dispensers but never use that much syrup. But olive oil...use it all the time! So smart!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your cute kitchen! Y'all have definitely used the space in smart ways. I love those chalkboard labels! I'm gonna have to check those out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ LA-Land: Love it! So smart to use cakestands in unconventional ways!

    @ Centsational Girl: That's as good an excuse for a shopping spree as I've ever heard. HA!

    @ Megan: Precisely what I was thinking! Who uses that much maple syrup besides restaurants?

    ReplyDelete
  8. LLLLLOOOVEE IT! Everything looks so great! Loving the labeled jars FC! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LLLLLOOOVEE IT! Everything looks so great! Loving the labeled jars FC! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh your kitchen is darling. I love a small kitchen. makes cooking so efficient!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! And I recently discovered that they sell the chalkboard contact paper in rolls. Also, my husband works with a friend of the guy who invented those chalk pens. So. Brilliant.

    P.S., Did you know that Blogger offers the option to reply to individual comments now? It's new, and I think there's just a button you have to check in your settings. Thought it might be useful as I see you replying to comments above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! Thx so much Nanette! I had no idea & I've been blogging for 5 yrs ::embarassed::. I just changed my settings to allow me to reply under each commenter as necessary. THANKS AGAIN for the heads up!!!!

      No way, about the chalk pens guy! Such a small world we live in!

      Delete
  12. I love every inch of this space. It looks stylish, welcoming, and efficient. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your little kitchen is adorable, it doesn't even look like it needs a reno. Oh, and I have that collander! It's like we're sexy kitchen gadget twins!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your kithen...you've really made the most out of the space, and it's so stylish. Those berries look delish, and damnit why don't my neighbors have peonies?!?!?!!?

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love your home!

    will you change the footprint of the kitchen when you plan to remodel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the footprint will change a little when we remodel! We want to extend the roofline & push everything out to widen the space. The sink will probs stay where it is so we don't have to move plumbing but we want to move the stove to the opposite side so we can look out onto the LR whilst cooking. Add an island. Also want to swap out the sliding doors for French doors Whew!!

      Delete
  16. I'm in love with your kitchen. That is all, carry on on your baby loving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm about to renovate my kitchen - well, the kitchen will become a bathroom, and bathroom an office and our office a kitchen, and our office is absolutely tiny so I think it's probably going to end up looking something along the lines of this! I'm still not convinced about the whole open shelf thing as I'm sure my plates will get dusty, but I guess if we only have a few plates and use them regularly it won't be a problem? Looks great anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So exciting! Best of luck w/ your kitchen reno!

      Delete
  18. Such a pretty kitchen! My only question- arent you supposed to have a vent over a stove? am I crazy? Ive never seen a stove without one

    www.wafflingdesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx so much!

      Hmmm, I'm not sure you're required to have a vent over a stove. We've never had one in the places we've lived, though in our last home there was a microwave w/ vent over the stove but that particular model didn't do crap for ventilation! It might be one of those 'per building code depending on where you live' type things. Worth checking into for sure! This is just a temporary fix for us though! For now, the window next to the stove does the trick.

      Delete
  19. I'm kind of in love with the olive oil "dispenser." You, FC, are a genius.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My absolute fave. kitchen remodel, period! I love all the little details in your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was just thinking of getting chalkboard labels and a chalk pen to label our boxes and tins. We're moving to a new place & I'm taking the opportunity to get organized and make the ordinary pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOVE your kitchen & the towels from W.E....so cute! I wish they still had them!!

    xo,
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi there. I love your kitchen and hoe homey it looks! A really love the chalkboard labels. I think I will use them on our glass jars as well. I have friends over that cook with me quite often and itll help them know which dry goods are which. I do have one question for you, though? I noticed that you dont have a vent over your stove or a microwave/vent combo...do you have any issues with ventilation as you are cooking? Thanks for sharing this post with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! No issues w/ having no vent over the stove for us! It's been almost 1 year now & the shelves have not warped. We (well, I) cook a lot & even though there's no range hood, we make sure there's adequate ventilation (the window right next to the stove gets cracked open, even in the dead of winter).

      We've had one of those microwave/vent combos before & they didn't do much for ventilation in our opinion. Plus the shelves are shallow enough & installed high enough that they're not even warm to the touch when the stove's on full blast.

      I just give everything a quick Swiffer once every other week & a damp cloth wipe-down once a month. Grease & grime have never been a problem for us.

      Hope this helps!

      Delete
  24. did you cut any of the shelves down how difficult was it? I have a hacksaw and I'm using the shelf as a countertop in my studio apartment where I have no kitchen just a kitchenette.how difficult is it to cut this down? how much weight does it hold? I'll be chopping and prepping dinner on it. thank you your place looks so nice I'm inspired! Thankss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did easily cut ours down (these IKEA Ekby Mossby shelves are designed to be cut to size). We taped the edge before cutting to prevent splintering (lots of tutorials if you google them) & used a circular saw. I'm not sure how a hacksaw would work on the shelf, to be honest.

      There's a link to the shelves we used in this blog post:
      http://freckleschick.blogspot.com/2011/08/ikea-insanity-kitchen-shelves.html

      According to the box, ours can hold up to 22 lbs (making sure to drill brackets into wall studs or quality drywall anchors). As for using these shelves as a countertop/work station, I'm not sure how well it would withstand that sort of wear & tear. They're actually mdf-like shelves wrapped in a thin stainless steel layer & do scuff a bit. But perhaps if the shelf is properly anchored to the wall, it could work!

      Hope this helps :-)

      Delete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~