Spinach smoothie (aka "my go-to breakfast")

The funny thing about living in the Boulder area is that no matter how hard I try (ok, not that hard honestly), I never feel as fit as everyone else in this triathlon-training/whole foods-eating/organic-loving town.  These crazies certainly set the bar high when it comes to healthy living.  And as a new mom who has no idea what she's doing half the time, I barely have time to scarf down my meals these days, let alone ingest something well-balanced........what's wrong with leftover taco meat slathered in hummus?  I usually bolt down coffee & let the day unfold from there.  Not sweet.

So I've been forcing myself to make healthy smoothies every morning again (I fell off the smoothie wagon a couple years ago).  I think homemade smoothies are fast, filling, much healthier than their store-bought counterparts, & so versatile.  Plus I can control the amount of sugar & such that goes in it.  Here's a favorite concoction that I adapted from this recipe my sister-in-law Tamara sent my way --thanks T!  (Added bonus that there's an Iowa connection, ha.)

SIDENOTE: I found early on (month 1) thru some trial & error that Quinn has a lactose sensitivity, so I've been on a dairy-free diet ever since.  My smoothie version consists of coconut milk yogurt (love the SO brand) & rice milk, but they can easily be swapped out for dairy products of your liking.




Spinach Smoothie
(Serves 1)

Ingredients
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
1 cup milk
1 spoonful smooth peanut butter (preferably with no hydrogenated oils)
2 heaping handfuls baby spinach
1 frozen banana, sliced (tip: slice before freezing)
2-3 strawberries, sliced (frozen could be good too)
1 teaspoon flaxseed

1. Combine all ingredients in a blender & close lid.
2. Blend on 'liquefy' setting for 30 seconds or so.  Stop, remove lid & scrape inside of blender to ensure every ingredient gets combined.
3. Replace lid & liquefy for additional 30 seconds (or until desired consistency).  Enjoy.






P.S. I personally love spinach, but to those who are wary of the green color: you can't even taste the spinach.  All you taste is healthy deliciousness wrapped in rainbows & unicorns.  Promise. (I've never tasted unicorn, just saying.)

Do you have a favorite smoothie recipe?  I'd love to hear it!

22 comments:

  1. This is my "go to" smoothie as well! And, you are absolutely right. You can't taste even a bit of spinach! :)

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! I'd been looking for ways in incorporate veggies in my smoothies, and this looks tasty. Now to run to Sunflower to get more spinach...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never thought to put peanut butter in. I actually shared my spinach smoothie recipe today too! You can find out what I put in it here:
    http://hisshabbyherchic.com/2012/04/30/my-green-monster/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Green Monster", LOL. YUM!! Putting raspberries & blueberries on my grocery list. Def. have to add those in my next smoothie, thx so much for sharing!

      Delete
  4. Yum....this reminds me that I need to bust out my blender for just this purpose. It's sort of a pain to clean though, which I think is why I am not better about using it.

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wholeheartedly agree! Why aren't blenders easier to clean? I have one of those mini magic bullet thingies & they're just as annoying to clean. Confession: I just rinse the blender out w/ hot water, fill it w/ hot water, then hit the blend button, dump that water out....& reuse it. Eek.

      Delete
  5. I'm going to try this this weekend with the rice milk. I've been able to consume dairy my entire life untila few years ago and bam, my body won't tolerate it anymore.

    Give Quinn a big squeeze from me love her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too have been dairy free because of milk allergy in the wee one. He not only gets fart rocket gas, but his eczema flares terribly. This smoothie looks amazing - especially since I can actually have it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is almost exactly my post-workout smoothie! Except I use almond milk + odwalla and frozen spinach and fruit. And sometimes I add chocolate when I want something a bit different :) Although my smoothie always turns out an ugly brown color, but it's still delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it funny how you can't taste the spinach? I make a similar smoothie using blueberries instead of strawberries and I find I can't look it at (green drinks first thing in the am is just weird) but you can't taste it! Thanks for sharing, the pic of Q is adorable:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm pinning this in case I ever get on a smoothie bandwagon. Hmmm, wondering how it would taste with coconut milk instead???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. COconut milk sounds delish! I bet it would add that extra layer of flavor. I say go for it! Let me know how it turns out. =]

      Delete
  10. I use one of these to blend my smoothies, even use the cup it comes with, and all the cleanup i have to do is pop the end off and run it under water, then air-dry. So much easier than my big blender. Also, it doesn't take much space to store.

    http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CSB-76BC-SmartStick-200-Watt-Immersion/dp/B000EGA6QI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335906784&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep forgetting about this little gadget!! So reasonably priced & easy to use/clean too. Love Amazon. Thx for the link, Anne!

      Delete
  11. mmm, this sounds awesome. I was all about the smoothies when I was pregnant but sorta forgot about them! Breakfast seems to be the one meal I can get in so I think I'll have to try them again. I love sneaking the spinach in there, you're right you can't even taste it!! (we'll have to use that trick for the kiddos once they're bigger ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love spinach in my smoothies, too. You really can't taste it! Also, BABY IS SO CUTE. My brain is now mushy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's almost exactly how I make my smoothies, except I use a little bit of OJ instead of milk. My family laughed at me for including PB, but I reason the protein is good for me and it makes the smoothie more substantial and delicious! (Here's a tip- if you make too much smoothie, dump it into plastic popsicle molds and it will make a yummy frozen treat.... even with spinach in it!)

    By the by, Q is also delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous tip, thx Rachel!

      And aw thx so much...I always tell Q she's delicious, too funny!

      Delete
    2. That sounds yummy!!! My smoothie has almond milk, spinach, blueberries, strawberries, frozen banana, and a pinch or more of wheat grass. It took me a while to get use to the wheat grass but now I can't tell really. Next time I'm going to have to try adding peanut butter or almond butter, thanks for the idea. BTW I'm from Colorado, sure do miss that place.

      Delete
  14. I made these this morning, and all I can say is DELISH! Thanks so much for sharing. I have literally been looking for months for a green smoothie recipe that tastes good. :) YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I finally made this today. It was soooo good! I didn't have vanilla yogurt, so I used strawberry instead, & I used frozen spinach. I also added a tiny bit of honey. I might try it with almond butter next--I'm not a big peanut butter fan. I know I'll be making this a lot. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~