Guest bedroom snippets

I was on a search for the perfect nightstands for the guest bedroom, but realized that we have these simple end tables (a Home Goods purchase from last year) just collecting dust in our garage.  After all, do guests really need much besides a surface for an alarm clock, glass of water, & a few personal belongings?

Admittedly, they're not my first choice.  But budget-wise they're 'free'.  Looks-wise though they leave a bit to be desired.  I decided to give them a campaign look with these incredibly affordable brass corners (inspired by this project):




They're a very subtle detail, I know--I live & breathe this sort of shiz.  Mr. FC doesn't really get the little upgrade, but I love the campaign-esque look the brass corners give the tables.  Guest bedroom 'nightstands' done..... moving on with life.

I've been feeling frugal, so I decided to forgo a new mirror for this room as depicted in my idea board.  Instead, I dug out an old sunburst mirror (also a Home Goods purchase from a while back) that was also just marinating in dust in our garage.  It's lightweight & drilled into a wall stud so hopefully it won't come crashing down on guests (or Mr. FC who sleeps down here occasionally to escape baby noises if he has a big client meeting on the horizon).

Working on a headboard this weekend.  Here's hoping I'll have something good to share soon.

GUEST BEDROOM
DIY a headboard
find nightstands
hang a fun mirror above bed
get throw pillows & bedding
find unique bedside lamps
DIY (faux) potted orchids for nightstands
find/hang artwork or photos on wall opposite bed
find bench or ottoman for foot of bed


Hope you all have a great week!
Happy Mother's Day to all you moms out there 
(whether your baby is human, furry, or four-legged)!!


{ Pssst, have you entered the Simply Bags beach tote giveaway? }

19 comments:

  1. those brass corners are a genius idea! thanks for sharing! i will do this to my IKEA lack tables to give them some character. and since i'm not ready to purchase new end tables yet. thanks again for such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it's the subtle details that count! I actually used the same brass corners in a recent project. Loved the effect of them. You can see it here:
    http://innovativeinterior.blogspot.com/2012/03/herringbone-box.html

    Good luck with the rest of your room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazeballs idea! I have that very same table, also from HomeGoods, but mine is a console. I might just have to do that to mine too. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me even MORE excited for us to get our very first HomeGoods store in Seattle (well, near Seattle) on June 24!!!! I cannot believe that I have lived this long without one.

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the subtle change in the nightstands. Isn't it fun to "shop" in your own home.. sometimes I forget the things that I buy, just hanging out collecting dust.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gah! Not having a HomeGoods is kind of killing me. Can't wait to see that DIY headboard!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude, love the brass accents. I think I might campaign everything now: desks. tables. banisters. It's gonna be all sorts of campaigny up in here.

    LB

    ReplyDelete
  8. It goes to show that I'm losing my mind. I totally thought the last photo with "DIY headboard goes here" was a decal. I was like, "Geez FC, that's really funny." I thought it was a clever bit of decoration as a place holder. *facepalm* I think I need a nap or some wine, or both.
    xoxo
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes people don't understand the simple details. I appreciate it though! It's fab!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, awesome that you could make things you already own work that well! Are you doing a tufted headboard? I got a wood one for our guest room and I'm going to paaaaaint it! A fun color, no more bullshit white for me. ha

    ps - my hubby has been sleeping in our guest room because mama-to-be tosses and turns ALL NIGHT.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You do know that your guests are not going to want to leave!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The brass corners are a great idea. You could even add a bit of brass coloring to the feet too to give it another little something.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I TOTALLY get the brass corners! They are a nice touch to spruce up old furniture. It kind of makes it "new" again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the brass corners. Little details make such a huge impact. Can't wait to see the headboard!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i'm not usually into teeny details like that, but those corners did change the entire look of the tables. what a beautiful room!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yeah -- those corners are magical!! Can't wait to see your headboard! And hope your mom's day was perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I freaking love it! I know this space is going to be unbelievable. Girl, you never fail to disappoint me and even with your busy schedule you still bring out the most amazing things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE the tables - so awesome! I love a great mini-DIY that really transforms a piece! I am your newest follower - hope you'll follow my blog too!
    xoxo,
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  19. Seriously LOVE the "subtle detail" added on the corners. I never would have thought to add little brass pieces to define a piece. It's gonna be great.

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~