Whimsical wood chandelier


I loved the capiz chandelier we originally hung in Quinn's room (<---- go there if you'd like to see pristine photos of her nursery.  If you'd like to see photos sprinkled with baby & diapers, please read on.)......but we soon discovered that the floor vent directed just enough air to cause those capiz discs to chime against each other.  Not so great for our light little sleeper (I swear, even with the white noise of a humidifier and sound machine in her room, she still wakes up when we so much as sneeze in the next room).  There's recessed lighting in there but no can light in the center placement of the ceiling, so the "chandelier" was more decorative than functional.

In my search for a silent substitute, I found this laser-cut wood "chandelier" made by iTag Studios & instantly loved it (I got the unpainted version for $33).  Look at all those curves & flourishes!  Its versatility was the icing on the cake.  It can be painted & embellishments can be added thanks to the holes iTag Studios thoughtfully pre-drilled.  Sold!  (Wouldn't these be fantastic hung in groupings from a tree for a wedding with twinkle lights or mason jar candles? Or suspended over the food table for a bridal or baby shower?)
Photobucket

I had a can of gold spraypaint on hand from a previous project (I've tried them all & this one's my favorite--not too brassy, more of a goldleaf look) & since gold accents appear throughout Quinn's nursery, I went with it.  It only took 2 thin coats (no priming necessary to my surprise).  Then I let it air out for about 1 week on our deck just to make sure the paint cured & no fumes lingered.
Untitled

Added some faux crystals from Michael's using gold floral gauge wire from my box of crap  crafts.
Untitled
Untitled


Some other small updates to Quinn's room......not all of them are what I'd call "the pretties".  More like "the funkys" as in functional.  
Untitled

I made a rookie mom mistake & never added blackout liner to the Dwell fabric I turned into drapes.  So one day, in between Quinnie's naps, I frantically grabbed a set of blackout panels from Target.  Serendipitously, they blend in perfectly with the wall color for a sleek monochromatic look.  Mmmm, sleep (for her anyway)!!
Untitled

The ceramic garden stool I repainted never really got used, so Mr. FC brought in a demi-lune table that had been tucked away.
Untitled

The scene of daily diaper disasters.....................
Untitled


I get lots of emails from people asking me about these clear acrylic book shelves
(thanks to those of you who've Pinned them since the nursery reveal in November 2011!!).
Ours are the 24" ledges.
WE LOVE THEM! They're still going strong.  I only wish I had gotten a couple more to hang.
Untitled

An up-close shot (from the nursery reveal last year):
Untitled

Switched up the art a bit:
Untitled Untitled

Untitled


I LOVE this wood chandie for all its whimsy & Quinn's intrigued by it.  By intrigued I mean that she likes to roll around naked on the floor of her room, reaching her hands skyward towards it & murmuring "Mamamamama".  Then she pees all over her rug from the excitement & Hiro chooses that moment to wander in & step in it.


WTH?
How does such a small room (and small person) get such a long-winded post?!
=]

23 comments:

  1. I don't think I've seen the 3d flower art before - can you share your source?

    Ps just read your gosling pic comment -hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing! The wall decal is from an etsy shop. I linked to them in my source list:
      http://freckleschick.blogspot.com/2011/11/nursery-reveal.html

      Here's the direct link:
      http://www.etsy.com/listing/80002764/plum-blossom-with-flying-birds-vinyl?ref=sc_4

      Hope that helps!!

      (When it comes to Ryan Gosling, I just can't help myself, HA!) =]

      Delete
  2. Love the new chandy and updated nursery photos. We have our video monitor on a tripod at the foot of the crib/rock'n'play. Nothing says "stylish" like a huge tripod in the corner of the room!

    You also have reminded me that I need to pick up some blackout panels to clip behind Katie's curtains. Thankfully her room doesn't get morning sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tripods are totes mcgoats stylish. =] Kiss Katie for me!!

      Delete
  3. The new chandy looks adorable! I am loving the gold mirror. Such a cute post.. love that you show the reality of what our homes look like..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thx Brittany! Keep it real is my mantra. =]

      Delete
  4. great job! and i seriously want to eat Quinnie! (is it ok if i call her that?!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! We call her Quinnie all the time, not sure how she'll feel about that once she goes off to college! HA! We also could gobble her right up, I hear ya. =] Thx for loving on our baby girl, you're the best.

      Delete
  5. I'm a long time reader but first time commenter. Quinn is so precious and I absolutely love the wood chandelier. I'm a total fan of your aesthetic.

    Quick question. Are the acrylic shelves very sturdy? I think I want to get two and use them as cookbook shelves in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx for sticking around for so long, Christie!!!! Your kind words made my day.

      The acrylic shelves are VERY sturdy for all of Quinn's thick board books & hardcover books. I recommend that you drill the screws into wall studs or use drywall anchors just to make sure those suckers don't go anywhere! I think they'll hold cookbooks really well if the books are not too thick/heavy & are evenly distributed across the shelf.

      Delete
  6. I love it!! I have three boys so can't exactly stick a chandelier like that in their rooms (lol) but I have made a ribbon version (a little while back) because I couldn't help myself!! Looks fab hun!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty!!! White and gold are one of my fav color combos! Stunning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. that looks fabulous--what a great idea! I love how it brings another bit of glam to the room.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a gorgeous chandie, FC. The whole room is amazing.

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE IT!!! So so great, and her room looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG love!!! Your chandelier is inspired! Pinning...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man, I NEEDED this post! It's so helpful to know what you actually end up needing and what is... well, crap. Pretty crap, but crap. SO taking notes on the black out liner- in fact, sewing curtains this week (hopefully... which means in a month) so I am definitely going to include the liner. Gracias, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG I didn't think this nursery could get any better and holy cow the chandelier is stunning. Truly original and so chic and YOU!

    Give gorgeous Quinn a huge hug for me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know, this chandy can only be whimsical for so long...when are we going to hear from you again?! I can not go these long stretches without a FC fix!! Hit me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just found your lovely blog not sure if it was through Pinterest or another blog, and fell in love with this post; what a lovely nursery and your reading selection is superb!
    ♥ Noemi
    Fashion: Classy N Glamorous
    Travel: Across The Sea

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the nursery photos. Can you please share the source for the shadow box with flowers in it?

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~