Framed: agate coasters



Update: My fabulously sassy blog friend Cassie included me in her Melt My Butter series this week 
(so stoked to be included amongst such fine bloggers)!
Hope you'll hop on over to check out the endless inspiration!
****************************************

Thank you kindly, everyone, for your lovely birthday wishes for Quinn!!
She'd tell you herself, but she's busy crushing Cheerios into the rug right now.

A couple years ago, I saw a wall grid of framed agate in an issue of House Beautiful.  So I filed it away for inspiration. 

Fast forward to last year.  In a sleep-deprived state (you're probs sick of hearing that by now), I added a set of agate coasters to my Amazon cart because I thought it was time we act civilized around here.  We never actually used them for placing our drinks on. We obviously don't respect wood. 

So I framed those agate coasters for our dining room wall.  A lot of our home decor is approached in this way:  I get inspired, I execute it, & I wait for Mr. FC to notice.  He gets vetoe power, but more often than not, he just goes with it.  As for the framed agate, he's somewhat stoked (he's a geologist/environmental consultant.)


(Note: most agate sliced for decorative purposes have been dyed.....this inky-blue color is a result of that & probably doesn't happen naturally.)



A bead of Gorilla Glue around the edge was all it took to adhere (the coasters are just thick enough for the pane of glass to hold them nicely in place, too).  Since agate is porous, I worried about using glue on them but just went for it.  Thankfully, there was no discoloration.  
For a grid like this, my perfectionist tendencies kicked in.  I used 3M picture-hanging strips (the ones pictured above can hold up to 12 lbs; though these frames are probably only a couple lbs each).  This way there aren't multiple holes in the wall, I can reposition the frames as needed, & they don't constantly shift).


I integrated a mirror (from our master bedroom, which reminds me that I need to find something to replace that spot) to break up the sea of frames.  Since the coasters only came in a set of 4, I got an agate sliver to round out the set.  
There's no shortage of rock shops in my area (it is Boulder after all), but these slivers are also available on Amazon.




Frames are from here.


I like it enough to not change it......at least for a couple months. :) happy
Our table is a reclaimed wood table custom-made by a carpenter found on Craigs List for a really reasonable price. 




Edited to add:
Linen camelback chairs from here (a few years ago, now sold out). I painted the legs a while back.
We're also those people who can't be bothered with having a rug under the dining table. 
Yes, we have a wall dedicated to Hiro.
Yep, I hid the high chair for this pic.
Oops, sorry about the sun glare.
ETA: art was made by Modern Bird Studios a few years ago.




I would love to get a couple head chairs for each end of the table at some point.
Meanwhile, still on the search for a kick-ass chandelier........

25 comments:

  1. The best ideas come when you're sleep deprived. Looks great (and I love that geologist Mr.FC appreciates them too!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are lovely! I've been digging cobalt blue in a major way lately. Have you seen this project {http://www.desertdomicile.com/2012/12/diy-gold-leaf-agate-coasters.html} by Desert Domicile? I wanted to recreate it but didn't know where to get the stone. Glad you came through with an answer when you didn't even know I needed it. That's skill, lady. Love it. Ha! xoxo

    p.s. I need a new light for the playroom--let's help each other. Deal? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a great idea. i wish i'd kept the set i had eons ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. where did you get the Hiro artwork (the 3rd from top)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a generous gift a few years ago from Modern Bird Studios (hosted one of their giveaways)!

      Delete
  5. Um sorry, but you don't respect wood?? that's not was mr. fc said.
    These are so cool!! Great idea, and they look gorgeous in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here I am, trying to be all mature by admitting we don't respect wood & you had to go there. You're making it really hard. (That's what she said. Aye-oh!!!)

      xoxo =]

      Delete
  6. FC -

    The blue agates are stunning!
    I can't wait to see what dining room light you find, because I'm on the
    hunt for one too!
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute idea - and your sentence about not respecting wood reminded me of this episode of Curb Your Enthusiam :-)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17hnNOFaRH4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kayla! I TOTALLY plucked that quote from Curb Your Enthusiasm & was hoping someone would notice. You.are,awesome. =] Larry David is sorta our hero. HA!

      Delete
  8. I am guilty of the same decorating approach: I do something and then wait for JEGs to notice. I wonder if he would notice our front door missing for a couple days, and suddenly reappearing a new color.. hmm.

    Love love LOVE it. It sparkles without being crystal.. and yet... ba dum cheeee.

    LB

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am just impressed that you have a decorating approach. I wouldn't even say I have one. ;)

    I do like te coasters-turned-art. I am a no-coasters kinda gal, too. Also, I'm moderately obsessed with that table. As in, I need it to me mine soon. Ryan should be able to make me one this weekend? Right? Totally reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those! I bought Matt a set of agate coasters for Christmas. He demands we use them all.of.the.time. He is like the coaster nazi! I have to say, I like yours better on the wall!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it!! You are so good at decorating. Come to my house, please?

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are gorgeous! Love that color so much! And I can't even believe she's already a year old - time flies!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! Quick question - The frames you linked to look black in the picture, are they darker online or is this color not available anymore?
    Would love to order these!

    Thanks for the inspiration :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren,

      I believe the frames are pictured darker online (Target's pics tend to do that, from my experience). The description describes the frames as black but I think that's not accurate....I'm almost 100% sure that these are the same frames. If they are, I think my pics depict the color of the frames in real life pretty accurately (they're a silvery color). So if that's the look you're looking for, they're fabulous.

      Hope this helps! =]

      xoxo

      Delete
  14. Absolutely love this original idea. The blue is perfect. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Man, this is a way cooler use of coasters! Sleep deprived shopping for the win! Nice job, FC and bonus points for association with geologist Mr. FC. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL @ We obviously don't respect wood

    I love your dining table, so beautiful, and the art is perfect darling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your new table! I live in the Denver area and would love the carpenter's contact info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bre! So sorry but I don't have the carpenter's contact info other than thru the Craigslist listing b/c we corresponded thru email that way (which no longer seems to be active since he sold the table). I do recall his name is Jim & he was in the Littleton area. I found the table by searching Denver CL for 'distressed dining table'. Maybe try searching that way? Sorry I'm not more help!

      Delete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~