Basement family room/play area (work-in-progress)

Hope your weekend was good!  Around here there were epic snowfalls, so I encouraged Mr. FC to go snowboarding while the girls (aka Quinn & I) held down the homefront.  We squeezed in some sledding, a Dance Off/Pants Off or two (I kept my pants on; you're welcome), & did lots of this:

via my Instagram (@freckleschic4 )



Somewhere along the way, I realized I haven't blogged about our basement level family room.  The basement was finished in early 2011, we painted, threw in furniture, & very little decorating has happened down there since.  One of my New Year's resolutions for this blog is to post more in-progress pics of our house (I'll try not to drag out anything into painful 10-part blog posts about every little detail so don't worry :) happy).


So here is our unremarkable, work-in-progress family room, (paint is Benjamin Moore Gray Owl):




All the big elements are staying.  The sectional (from here, 2011), while not as sleek as our upstairs sofa, has served us well.  The storage ottoman on casters (from a local discounted furniture warehouse), is not my love but it's practical for a family with a toddler tornado.  Keeping the TV stand (also from said warehouse) & picture ledges (from here, 2011), too.  We also need to anchor that flatscreen to the wall for obvious safety reasons ASAP.  


I'd like to freshen up the space.  Nothing crazy, just want to breathe a bit of new life into it. 
O'verlays / suzani pillow / persimmon pillow / frame / tray




I have Ikea birthday giftcards burning a hole in my purse thanks to family & friends, so going to go that route for the play area (to the left of the sectional).  While it probably won't be Pinterest-worthy, the area will be fun & functional.  Again, nothing crazy or too permanent.  If there's one thing I've learned since Quinn joined our family, it's that our home evolves as fast as she grows....& she's growing like a (sassy) weed!






shelving unit / charcoal striped totes / kids' table set 
grey frame / art print / hanging artwork idea


So that's the plan!
The O'verlays have been ordered & are on their way.  
I've already started tweaking Quinn's table set & can't wait to share it with you soon.
Happy day to you!

20 comments:

  1. I love those striped storage bins- I have them in the plans for our house as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I can't believe how light and airy it looks down there! I think I first started following your blog when you were framing the walls. I vaguely remember reading a post about where your toilet was and your neighbors knowing how much fiber and/or coffee you had. I busted up laughing and was like.. "this chick is worth following".

    Totally jealous of your extra space. Right now the monster's toys clutter up my living room. Along with a baby octagon stretched across the entire room. One day I will have pretty things again. When he is 18, haha.

    LB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your plans! Can't wait to see its evolution! This room is so similar--colorwise and furniture placement--to my living room. Great minds... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that you have extra basement space, that doesn't look anything like a basement space! Sigh, I wish CA ranchers would have been built with basements. I love your ideas, and looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your plan and your basement is fantastic! So bright and open. Looking forward to the cute play area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, this is going to be great. Not that I'm surprised, of course. You have fairy dust that comes out of your fingers and makes rooms magical.

    I love the striped baskets, too. Can't wait to see this come together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woodland creatures also eat out of my hands but that's neither here nor there. Thx lady ,you're the best.
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. Looks fab! This is totally off topic, but the pants/leggings you're wearing in that Instagram shot are adorable, where did you snag those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw hanks so much, Stacy. My leggings were from Express a couple yrs ago & it looks like they only carry leggings w/ zippers now. Does this mean I'm out of style now? =] Sorry I can't be of more help!

      Delete
  8. Oooo, I can't wait to see it all come together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great! Super cozy and child friendly.

    A friend of mine has that Ikea shelving unit for her sons' toys but in red lacquer and it is awesome! You know - just in case you were thinking of adding some crazy bright colour!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey this basement inspiration comes at the perfect time with an unplanned flood and potential redo, ha! I love how bright and cheery your basement is - I'm noting that paint colour!

    Love the trim, the striped baskets and the whole plan. Looking forward to seeing what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ummm.. can I come live in your house? Your basement is amazing already! So bright and cherry. Love the huge couch and ottoman. I think this is all going to be awesome. Does sassafrass keep most of her toys in the basement or are they scattered throughout the house?

    P.S. Can you come help with my child's future nursery?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pants off dance off! We have those too (I cant promise though, that my pants always stay in place :/ ). Anywho ... family room loks great! You should see ours right now ... wowza. Makes sense though, we've only been working on it for, umm ... I don't know, must be, like ... 13 months. Yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are starting a basement/garage reno this summer, so i will be tuned in. Love that sectional, who is it by?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Farrah!

      I linked to the sectional source in my post but here's the link (they no longer carry this style but here's the sectionals they currently stock):
      http://www.scandinaviandesigns.com/next?offset=12&keyword=none&cp=living_sectionals

      Hope this helps. Good luck w/ your reno!
      xoxo

      Delete
  14. Our new place has a dedicated play room for Ren... will his toys stay in there? Probably not. I have never seen the O'verlays before! I see some of that in my future... and I love Quinn's play area. Can't wait to see what you do with the table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! The best intentions I have, but toys will probs be scattered from here to the toilet. =]

      Hope you're enjoying your new place!!

      xoxo

      Delete
  15. What's the problem with dragging room makeovers out for 2 years and 47 posts? Love your plan for this room...and so jealous that you have a casual play area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ABsolutely nothing.....as long as you promise not to devote 15,000 words to spraypainting something. Heh.

      Delete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~