Exciting post about concealing a water meter (sarcasm font)

When we renovated the basement back in 2010/2011, we had plans to add built-ins to the large wall in the guest bedroom.  It hasn't happened yet & at this point we're straying from the idea.  The more we think about it, it just doesn't make sense to have built-ins in this particular room.  

So, this leaves us dealing w/ an exposed water meter since our original plans were to conceal it w/in the built-ins......on to plan B.  
The only BEFORE pic I have, right after the drywall went in.




I went searching for a unit to do the job on a smaller scale.  It had to be just narrow enough (so guests wouldn't bump into it getting in/out of bed), not look too much like a total afterthought, & still allow access to the water meter.

Disclaimer: There are probably building codes/regulations for concealing water meters & we probably didn't meet them w/ our solution.  This just works for us so if anyone decides to do the same in their house to detrimental results, please don't sue us.  (FYI: your attorney should be informed that Freckles Chick isn't my legal name)

The husband works near an Ikea & I nicely asked him to get this Hemnes shoe cabinet a few weeks ago.  It has the perfect dimensions for our water meter-concealing needs.  

After it was assembled (Ikea furniture's awesome pricetags don't make up for the pain-in-the-ass assembly), he made some tweaks to make it fit around the water meter (used a jigsaw to cut the particle board backing & plastic drawer detail) .  The cuts look a bit rough due to having to work around the locations of studs in the wall/water meter valves, but no matter as they're not visible when the drop drawer is closed.  Lastly, he secured the cabinet to the wall.




For us, it's a great solution for this space.  
I might eventually add some pretty glass knobs to the drop drawers. 
Since we live in aspen country, I framed a trio of aspen photos from our excursions.  
The camera distorted the frames a bit. They're level in person.


The drawers are fairly empty now, but I think guests who are here for an extended stay will be able to use this as a dresser.  


This being a guest room, I added some simple amenities for our guests (the guest bathroom also has a courtesy toiletries basket for guests to help themselves to so I didn't go overboard in here).  Not exactly the Waldorf Astoria or the prettiest vignette ever, but you know.


I'm just putting the finishing touches on Quinn's art table & will share that next week (if my toddler tornado allows it)!

24 comments:

  1. It's perfect. Lovely room! Come to Minnesota and decorate my house, please? I'll pay you in wine. Lots and lots of wine. Tempting, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow this looks great ..... ingenious solution! I love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks perfect! <---- not sarcasm font! :) I would have never thought of this. My guests would have been sharing a room with the water meter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a smart idea! It really looks awesome in there. Also, I think guests will get a kick out of opening the drawer and finding a pipe conveniently tucked away. We have the same IKEA piece in our mud room, love it (and thankful that I wasn't the one who had to put it together).

    p.s. super excited to see Quinn's art table!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a smart solution! I love those Hemnes Shoe Cabinets, their narrow footprint is fantastic for tight spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great!! Smart thinking :) I love those shoe holders, I'm hoping to squeeze one in our hallway, might be a pip dream lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very smart and it looks great! Winning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brills solution! Quick question - do you mind sharing where you got that clear tray (in which you put the cute and of course blogger-mandatory bottles of Pellegrino)? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel!

      The clear acrylic tray's from the COntainer Store (found it in their bathroom organization aisle, $11.99 I think). And unlike some bloggers, we actually drink our Pellegrino, not just for styling purposes. HA.

      Hope this helps!

      Delete
  9. Holy Crap...ths looks awesome. Perfect solution and beautiful styling. Ok...off to call my lawyer; I totally gave him the wrong name last time I asked him to contact you ;). Miss ya xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant. I'm off to find something to conceal mine. Mine is a lot bigger than yours though. lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is genius. Plus it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sneaky smart! I second what others have mentioned about your ability to style things. I put this same IKEA cabinet in our old house's small entry and I was forever trying to find things skinny enough to fit on it that didn't look awkward. Love the sarcasm font too - why don't we have a standard font for that yet?? Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. JEGs, Hunter and I will be in next weekend. Pick us up from the airport, mmmkay?

    Seriously though, I am OB. SESSED with this shoe cabinet and I am loving all the creative ways people are using them. Your way clearly shoots up to the top of the list.

    Can't wait to see Q's table (andtotallystealtheidea).
    ..I'm sorry, what? I didn't saying anything...

    LB

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well I never. I mean it! I would NEVER have come up with that. You're a genius.

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is so fabulous! I think as long as you can access things like this, who cares about codes. I would've never thought about doing something like that. You genius, you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so stinking smart. I love that piece, too. I have the two-drawer version and it's just such a great little piece of furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've seen lots of different uses for that Shoe storage from IKEA, but this is, by far, the most creative use yet! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks great! So creative. I stumbled upon your blog looking for a DIY headboard tutorial. Love your style.

    Where did you get the blue butterfly? It looks lovely on the dresser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for dropping in, Beth & welcome!! The framed morpho butterfly was from here:
      http://www.etsy.com/shop/BentheButterflyGuy

      Hope this helps. Many thanks for your kind words!

      Delete
  19. absolutely love this -- what a creative idea!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! Ummm, do I see an amazing chocolate headboard on the other side of the room? Share, please?

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~