Feeling (fabric) scrappy

Quinn's nursery is my favorite room in our home.  This tiny room holds big memories: from putting it all together during my pregnancy to her first night in her crib to bedtimes stories & tickle fights on the rug (those middle of the night wake-ups, maybe not so fond).  When it comes to freshening up the decor around here, Quinn's room is always at the top of my list.
Holly of In The Fun Lane is hosting a Scrap Week [Linky] Party , which was the kick in the pants I needed to get creative for Quinn's nursery.  I've admired Holly's renovating, decorating, entrepreneurial, & fashion sensibilities since the beginning of In The Fun Lane (actually even before that, when we were Nesties).  She's one of the rare, famed home/lifestyle bloggers who doesn't blog for recognition.  She has genuine talent, skill, & love for what she does, which makes her blog so enjoyable in my humble opinion.
For my project I used leftover fabric scraps to make "art" for the shadowbox that was already hanging on a wall in Quinn's nursery.  Didn't spend a dime or have to run out for supplies.  Sweet pickles!


I snipped hearts from fabric scraps (plus a few fun paper scraps & washi-taped paper), glued them to cardstock, made a little free-hand sketch (in pencil first, then traced over in ink), & done.  


My interpretation of my girl holding a bunch of heart-shaped balloons.
(Don't look too closely, you'll see some of my pencil marks I overlooked.)


You'll have to forgive the wonky lighting. My little catnapper took a 2-hour long nap (which rarely happens; all you lucky moms who have long nappers out there, I'm jealous :) happy) & so the light wasn't ideal by the time I had a chance to snap pics.  Hey, not complaining though!





 I'm digging the texture & whimsy the fabric/paper scraps bring to the balloons.  
Little girl, big world.  
Balloons in their flights of fancy.  Once set free, one can't be easily contained.
I think it represents my spirited girl well.  (I've tried to contain her, believe me.) 
{ via my Instagram @freckleschic4 }


Linking to Holly's Scrap Week Party.  
Hop on over & check out the inspiration and/or share links to your scrap project(s)!  
Thanks gorgeous gal for hosting!  When's our next party?!
{ See more of Quinn's nursery }

29 comments:

  1. I love it and I love when you can do a project with things around the house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable! You could totally sell these! I never knew you were such an artiste--and I'm not saying that sarcastically! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helloooo, I love this! Great idea, FC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dig simple projects like these - I did something similar for V-day - just some hearts cut out of construction paper thrown in a vase - and it felt like just the right amount of decoration. Plus it was free and took me all of 15 minutes. I felt like I was right back in third grade when I was cutting out my hearts, and I loved the simplicity of it!

    I've been making a lot of cheap nursery art for all of my pregnant friends (post to come after my next shower) - I may steal this one from you for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. legit thought the little girl was an elephant at first. all about perspective! haha so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you say it, that's ALL I see, lol.

      Delete
  6. You DREW that!!? Wowza, nice work girl. I thought it was a printable or something when I saw it on IG. It looks so awesome in little Q's room, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. I would like to come live in your house. The end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on over, you're always welcome, my friend!! =]

      Delete
  8. Wow! I am so impressed you made this! Wanna make me one!? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was probably a total fluke & might not ever happen again, HA! Sorry Quinn, Mum will be turning to Etsy henceforth.

      Thanks so much, gal!!! xoxo

      Delete
  9. Okay, first: Quinn, I hope you have an agent! She is such a doll (just like her momma). Second: your mad drawing skills make me jealous. Third: I needed two tissues to get through this post. Kind words like that go right for my tear production gland. THANK YOU. And thank you so much for linking and sharing.

    And I'm ditto-ing Joi, you should sell these!! I think you've found your next calling.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, gal! I needed a box of tissues just reading your amazing comment, you're the best!!!

      xoxoxox

      Delete
  10. I'm really impressed. This looks like something that would sell like hotcakes on Etsy. You are making me want to try sketching. Because your little girl is so cute.

    Awesome work, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Um, yes FC, you need to scan that bad boy in and make a printable where people just add their own fabric hearts. That is suuuper cute nd I totally want it for Katie's room. So let us know when you have your shop up and running :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I think it was a total fluke that my sketch turned out decently! Thanks so much, friend! You're the best!!xoxo #Icantbetrustedwithanetsyshop #wouldratherdrinkwineatnight

      Delete
  12. This is SO cute! Of course, I'm always happy to get a little glimpse of Quinn at the end, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much, J!! How are the house showings going? Well I hope albeit stressful (it's such a gorgeous space).

      So good to see you!

      xoxo

      Delete
  13. so cute!!! where are the frames from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Both frames are from Target (the one w/ the fabric scrap art is a shadowbox). Hope this helps!
      xoxo

      Delete
  14. I love this project! I featured you today on my Kick-Off Friday post! http://craftivitydesigns.blogspot.com/2013/03/kick-off-friday_22.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the feature! You are so kind!

      Delete
  15. Awesome- I would never be able to trace and cut out the hearts that well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither =] I just folded the fabric scraps in half & cut out a heart shape like kids do w/ construction paper lol. Voila!

      Delete
  16. This is such a great idea! I would love to do this on some cards. Thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Replies
    1. It was a total fluke, I think LOL! I don't think I could replicate it!! Thanks, gal!!

      Delete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~