Quinn's Easter basket (fun with felt)


We're quickly discovering that part of the joy of having a little one is we're encouraged to see the world thru her eyes, which often makes us relive our favorite childhood memories.  Like the tradition of Easter baskets.  

We agreed not to go overboard since obviously Easter isn't about receiving gift baskets & Quinn will be getting stuff from other family members, too.  I did try to aim for a bit of creativity though.

Inspired by this colorful project, I made a little egg game for our girl.  When her daddy came home w/ plastic eggs a few days ago, she loved them so much she practically took some to bed with her.  Since she's at that stage where she loves to open/close & fill/empty things with her tiny fingers, I thought this was a good game that encourages her current interests/motor skills.  The corresponding egg yolk colors are of the idea that she can learn to color match as she gets older.  I'm aware that we'll have to explain to her why grocery store eggs are not all colors of the rainbow, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.  Not it, not it.


This was so simple & fast.  I cut the 'egg whites' from white felt & the 'egg yolks' from the colorful felt (making sure they were small enough to stuff into each egg).  Then I glued each yolk to an egg white using fabric glue.  Let dry.  Done. 

Resin egg crate ($2.99, Michael's)
Felt sheets ($0.29/ea, Michael's)
Plastic eggs ($1.00/bag, Target)


Quinn plucked this woven paper/straw tote off the shelf at Target (from their bargains section--bargain hunter in the making?) & I thought it would be a good Easter 'basket'.  Maybe she could use it for other things later on like fruits & veggies from the farmer's market broken crayons & socks she insists belong on her hands. 
I sketched a bunny outline on leftover white felt, trimmed it, glued on a pom-pom & attached it to the tote with a dot of hot glue (it can be peeled off later).

Quinn picked out the ball & bucket herself.  She's also been obsessed with bubbles lately, though we've been blowing bubbles inside the house since Mother Nature did not get the memo that I want to drink wine outside on a patio we want to play outside in warm weather.  She's also quite the budding artist lately so we got her color pencils to add to her palette.




Sensing a bunny theme.............




Hope she likes it.  
Guessing that she'll play with the eggs for about 12 seconds & then turn her attention to ripping the tissue paper to shreds & stuffing it under the sofa cushions.
It's what the Quinnster does.

Practicing kickflips on Grammy's vintage skateboard.

22 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! I have to admit I wasn't getting what you were saying you were making on IG. This is a great idea with the color matching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so sweet! I love watching her grow up. Good job mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE this idea, and I'm stealing it. In the words of Hunter "MIIINE". JEGs and I have been waffling as to weather or not we should get a basket for the monster, because I didn't want to fill it with candy (that I would totally eat), so I think this is a great alternative.

    In other news, I clearly do not understand the layout of your house. I always thought the credenza was upstairs in a hallway.. next to steps? I don't know. I think you need to get to gettin on that house tour button so I can *properly* stalk you.

    LB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA!! I've been thinking about getting rid of that House Tour button b/c I don't know if I'll ever get my ass together to actually organize one. #FCepicfail

      You're right, the credenza is upstairs though not in a hallway--it's more like off to the side of our entryway. Once you round the corner (past the credenza) there's a stairwell to the basement. Those architects were high off their rocker when they designed these little Colorado cottage/cabin/ranch 80's houses. They obviously didn't believe in a proper entryway or a decently sized kitchen either. Stoooonerrrrrsss.

      Thanks gal! I'm right there w/ you, why stuff the baskets w/ all that candy that I would probs end up stuffing into my face anyway??!!

      Hope your Easter was happy & that the Monster loved it!!

      xoxo

      Delete
  4. OMG, you are so crafty. I wish I had your talents. Quinn is going to love her basket! Such a cute idea. And I too need you to get on that house tour button. I want to see more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, friend!!

      Damn, I was hoping peeps would forget that house tour button existed lol!!

      Delete
  5. such a great idea!!! super cute ...... and she is absolutely adorable!!! oh and where did you get your sofa!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so very much, gal!! You're so kind!! Sofa's the Andre from Room & Board a few years ago in on of their special order fabrics. We love it! Hides gummy Goldfish cracker stains well ;)

      Delete
  6. SO cute!! I think I may have to steal that egg idea!! My daughter loves opening and closing things right now, so I am sure pulling those felt pieces out and closing the eggs will be a fun activity for her! Thanks for this....so creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So stinking cute! I love Q's Easter basket! You are so crafty and I'm a bit jelly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable! Love the Easter basket! You are so stinking crafty and I'm a bit jelly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, lady...your sketches are awesome. First the little girl with the balloon and now the bunny? Don't hold out on us anymore. We need more. :-) I love your take on the Easter basket and I hope little QT pie enjoys the eggs for at least a couple minute! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so cute!!! I love it all...too bad I'm a bad mean mommy and didn't even do baskets for mine this year! Sloan's bday happens to be sunday, so that kind of throws things. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to steal this idea for next year when my LO is a little bit older. You're so creative!

    Nemixtli

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh so sweet! I just bought Avery some bubbles for his little Easter basket too & some sidewalk chalk :) I love bubbles and chalk is there anything better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, chica!

      Aw Avery =] I saw chalk shaped like eggs & wanted to get them so badly but the last time Quinn got her hands on chalk, she wouldn't stop licking it. LOL!

      Delete
  13. That Quinn kills me with her sassy skateboarding!

    LOVE the easter basket, Quinn is going to love those eggs (and tearing apart all your hard work ;). Alice is really into opening and closing things so I'm just gonna give her some empty eggs! Maybe I'll fill them with some of those cute bunny crackers. Great job, mama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lady!!

      That's what I'm afraid of....she'll open the eggs, be all "What the.....where's the candy all my friends got in THEIR Easter baskets?", & proceed to tear those eggs apart in protest. ::hoping that glue holds::

      Ha!! Happy Easter, friend!!!!

      Delete
  14. awesome! thanks for the ideas! i am a bit lazier, and will just be putting things like raisons, nuts, and stickers in her eggs. but really, easter will be a lot more pleasant for the kids who aren't high on cadbury eggs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a cute idea!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. She is a natural on that skateboard. And cute as ever.

    Love the felt egg games. So cute! We went to see chickens iwth Henry at a local farm over the weekend and he was moderately obsessed. I'm thinking the egg game will be good for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have to tell you I am obsessed with Q's outfits. HeHe!

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~