Quinn's art table (an Ikea LATT hack)


We recently dropped down to one nap a day around here (Quinn, I mean, not me).  Which means more awake time......which means I usually scramble for activities to round out Quinn's day.  When the library or playdates or playing outside doesn't quite cut it, the art table comes through for us (you know, for the 10 minutes Quinn tolerates it).

Clear acrylic book ledges are from here (we have the 24 inchers).



A while ago, I was inspired by this art table project, an Ikea LATT hack.  The LATT kid's table & chairs set is a total steal at $19.99.  At that price, Quinn can wreak some serious havoc on it & we wouldn't cringe (much).  

So I showed Husband the inspiration table & he made it happen.  A few minutes at Home Depot & $15 later, he was all set to amp up Quinn's art table.  Guided by the inspiration table, he free-styled his own version.  I couldn't be happier with how it turned out & it's worked beautifully so far.

Supplies
*Ikea Latt table
*dowel rod holders/screws (Home Depot)
*dowel rod to hold drawing paper roll (Home Depot)
*trim pieces for table top, to hold drawing paper in place (he found trim that was the perfect width for the Latt table & he just cut it to length, Home Depot)
*nails to attach trim pieces
*shims (to elevate trim pieces to allow space for the paper to slip under)
*drawing paper roll (Ikea, Michael's) --->I'm hearing that IKEA's drawing paper rolls might've changed in dimensions so those might no longer fit this table.  We've recently  cut the IKEA paper roll down to size using a chop saw & it worked! Hope this helps. ETA 12/21/13: our paper rolls are approximately 15.5 inches wide if this helps.
*adhesive chalkboard paper (Michael's)



This is what we started with.  I painted the wood Benjamin Moore White Dove (we have vats of it from when we painted all the trim in our renovated basement), semi-gloss finish.  It's great for the wipeability factor.  Of course, it helps that all of Quinn's crayons, markers, color pencils, & paints are of the washable variety.

Husband added a holder to the underside of the table for the drawing paper roll.




He also added two narrow trim pieces (from Home Depot's trim/moulding section) 
to hold the drawing paper in place.
Necessary when you have a spirited artist who likes to flail her crayon-laden hands & finger paint wildly.



A bonus is that the trim pieces not only hold the paper in place, but one side also helps w/ tearing off whatever toddler masterpiece was just created so that it can be displayed.




I spy toddler toes.

Is she flipping us off.........

These are cheap acrylic containers attached using 3M velcro strips. They work well for now & can be easily removed when there are a few kids around the table, but I'd like to switch them out for a sturdier system eventually.

I stuck on a piece of adhesive chalkboard paper (underneath the drawing paper).
It's a hit w/ Quinn when she's not trying to lick the chalk.


I converted tiny Target clearance pillows ($5/ea) to chair pads by removing some of the filling, stitched them back up, sewed a tuft to the center, & stitched on ribbon ties.
Perfect for tiny toddler butts that sit still for 30 seconds.

I couldn't leave well enough alone, so I embellished the trim pieces w/ gold dot washi tape (that stuff clings to surfaces so well).  I know she's going to mark these up in a hot minute but so far so good.

There's a tote for the bigger art supplies.
Paints, coloring book, little carrying case for crayons when we're on the go, & an "art smock" (a button-down shirt a couple sizes larger that I found on clearance)





And that is Quinn's art table--fun, functional, & not too precious that it can't face a toddler tornado.  It currently resides in her room & will be moved to the basement play area once that space gets pulled together.

Until then, we've been enjoying being artistes..............

via my Instagram @freckleschic4


............until Quinnie decides her time is better spent pulling her shirt over her head & running full speed, arms flailing, into whatever room happens to be on her itinerary.



P.S. I'm too buzzed up tired to watermark my photos tonight, so I thank you for crediting me if you Pin or borrow any of them. 


************************
Thanks a million to the following blogs for mentioning Quinn's art table & for the link love.  
You gals are the best!! 
 
Shannon (see her rad Lack hack here)

Michelle (thanks for the mention!)

Kim (thanks for the mention!)


56 comments:

  1. I am definitely jealous! Can you send your husband to my house? I will go ahead and buy the LATT and have it ready for him to rig up. Great job and seriously inspiring.....might need to do something similar for M's 2nd birthday in a few months. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, friend! He would happily make another table for y'all! Just don't expect him to cook...or clean...or listen well. HA!

      Delete
  2. Dude, love this! I think my favorite part is the washi trim too. We currently have a thrifted purple and teal plastic monstrosity of a table & chair set but me thinks it's fug, so I'm liking this idea a whole lot better. I need a project like I need a hole in the head but now the wheels are spinning. Good work FC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, thank you!! Your Lack hack is awesome & got my wheels spinning about using those little buckets to hold her crayons, etc. Thanks a million for the shout-out & link love!!

      Delete
  3. AMAZING! Such a great idea. I hope Luca wants to do art because he is SO getting a table. And if he doesn't colour/draw, then I will have to have a second baby. Because your table is worth it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, my friend!! If I've inspired you to reproduce another cutie patootie, well then my work here is done. =]

      xoxo

      Delete
  4. Fab! I love the containers along the side for crayons and such. And of course, they super cute artist as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! She's a keeper =]
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. This is so cute! I'm working on an art table for my daughter right now, but never thought about doing the paper roll thing. Great idea for a toddler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! The paper roll is my favorite part! Hope you have fun w/ your daughter's art table, xoxo.

      Delete
  6. Ooooh…. What is your source for those acrylic book shelves? I love them-- the books look like art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're from Clear Solutions online & I blogged about them a couple yrs ago in my nursery reveal post (see sidebar). E got the 24 inchers & love them to this day. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  7. This is such a super update - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First off - thanks so much for the sweet words relating to my post yesterday. Hugs!! Means a ton to me. xoxo

    Second, this is so awesome. You have the best ideas. And for the record I totally think she is flipping us off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE it!! This makes my organizational heart sing, way to go FC and Mr.FC! Genius idea with the seat cushions! We seriously need that paper contraption at our table, paper moves around so easy and now Alice thinks drawing on the table is where it's at.

    That series of photos of Quinn cracks me up! Such passion with these toddlers, hey?

    p.s. We've recently gone to one nap a day too, so I hear ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quinn's a passionate artiste, that's for sure. ha.

      LOL @ "Alice thinks drawing on the table is where it's at". Not cool, Alice, not cool. =]

      One nap a day is a whole other level of parenting isn't it?! I think I'm almost as tired as I was back in her newborn days. :/

      Thanks SO much, dude, you're the best!!

      Delete
  10. This is so cute! Love the gold polka dot tape on the wood strips. Adorable style for baby Q.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holla! I love this. Who knew Mr. FC was so dang handy? Can he whip one up for me and send it in the mail since I don't have an IKEA? Haha. I'm only kidding, because, let's be real...Mr. Theron Drake would never sit still long enough to make some art. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lady!!!! I know, our one & only fairly new IKEA is a 2 hr round trip which usually does not jive w/ the Quinnie, so sometimes I try to forget we even have one.

      Quinn sits still for about 5 minutes before she realizes "HEY, I'm sitting still, wtf?! This is crazy talk."

      =]

      Love ya to pieces

      Delete
  12. Way awesome!! Trust me when I say, she will grow to love that more and more. Cameron has a little table and he uses it daily for quiet time in his room, coloring and legos. Im loving your hack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is SO good to hear, fellow mama. I hope this table of hers has a long run in our house. Thanks so much for dropping by!! xoxo

      Delete
  13. Shut the hell up! This is such a fantastic idea! I especially love the roll of paper on the bottom.

    Here at Falconhead, we just let the monster draw all over this plastic Step 1 table and hope to God that the magic eraser will handle it. So far so good for the table-- mostly because Hunter is more interested in putting them in his mouth. Yup. That's my boy.

    LB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA "Falconhead"! Fancypants.

      Quinn loves freestyle art, especially all over her white IKEA chair. She likes to do "draaawrrings" w/ her mum. Very British, very Impressionist era. My yoga pants add a refined element to the whole thing, as does her disposable diaper.

      Thanks so much, gal!!

      Delete
  14. Sooo creative!!! Perfect idea. She is adorable. And totally relating over here to the nostop craziness that is toddler-hood.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So clever and such a great idea. and so understanding you on the nonstop world that is toddler-hood. Owen is full throttle these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Full throttle is THE best description for these toddler tornadoes. Spot on!

      Delete
  16. This is AWESOME. I'm totally pinning this because this.is.happening at the Woodwards. I love the fact that you can feed the paper through. Is it strange that I also kind of want to have a huge table in my basement converted to hold a big roll of Kraft paper for wrapping? A grown up drawing table?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lady! You should totally do a grown-up art table for yourself. I wish I would've thought of that before I caused a fight between Quinn & me b/c I wanted to paint (she wanted to draw w/ crayons). I mean, she ALWAYS gets to use the table, not fair. #kidding #maybe

      Delete
  17. oh. my. gosh. how lucky is that kid?!

    i love it. looove. the tape! the pillow cushions (i think those are my fav element)! all of the organized storage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks gal!! This SO made my day! =]

      xoxo

      Delete
  18. Brilliant idea! I have big kid ideas of upcyling an old school paper dispenser for my kitchen island so my nieces can chilax/craft/not draw on my benches! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, gal! And your plan sounds like a fantastic concept! Best aunt award goes to you. Hey, I'll totally be your niece. =]

      Delete
  19. LOVE! THIS! IDEA! It would probably be weird for me to make this for my 7 month old butttt I'm pinning for later. Awesome idea. And look at you with that gold polka dotted tape, so precious! Great job, FC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hdawg will be ready to wreak some havoc on an art table before you know it ;) Thanks dude!!!

      Delete
  20. so adorable! I love that way you repurposed the pillows to make seat cusions. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, gal! I loved your meal planning menu, divine! Oh, poor girl & her food allergies :( Tough girl (& mama)!

      Delete
  21. You are one clever cookie!!! And your little arteest is yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Takes one to know one =] Aw thanks, she's pretty delish!

      Delete
  22. i mean seriouslyyyy, you make us mommy look so bad!!!! Can you please come over my house and build me one for K!!! hubby and I went to sams last week and he wanted to get this ugly table for K, I need to show him these photos!!!

    Love her little book nook too, K's nursery used to be cute..until her mommy got lazy to clean up all the toys :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, thanks a million, friend! I only document the good mommying stuff....I don't document the neglect--errr I mean, the times she plays so well by herself. ;)

      Hubby wanted to get her the same sort of thing until I intervened! He was only convinced by the fact that I had an Ikea giftcard & so the table was essentially free. HA!!

      xoxo

      Delete
  23. How chic is Q's play table and chairs. You're like MacGyver Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm back to stare at this post and forwarding to my husband to pimp out our table. This is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I found this wonderful project on Pinterest and set about to add the paper roll to my Ikea table. Only problem is that the paper roll I bought from Ikea is too wide! Where did you purchase your roll that fits so perfectly? Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hmm, did you buy the MALA paper roll from IKEA? The original roll I bought was from Michael's, which fit perfectly but that paper has run out & now we're using the MALA roll, which fits great, too.

      http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20152281/

      Hope this helps!

      Delete
    2. Yes! That is the exact one I bought the same time as the table.. It is 18" wide and my table is nearly 19" wide. So it's almost right except that the table top is 19" wide, that doesn't include the width of the legs supporting, so if I was to try to mount the paper underneath in the same direction you have (going "long-ways") it's just barely too wide to fit through the opening and come up through between the two legs. I don't know if that makes sense! I will probably just see about mounting it going the other direction instead! Judging by how much space you have on your table, it makes me curious if the dimensions of this table has been changed. I love this idea though! Thanks!

      Delete
  26. Hi!
    Wonderful work!
    Could you tell me where you got the rug in Quinn's room and if the Expedit bookcase that holds her toy totes is this one?

    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19903848/

    The only one I can find on the Ikea website is the one on casters and I am ordering it online so want to be sure to get the right one. I remember there being only one that looks like yours so hopefully this is right and we can simply assemble w/o the casters.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,

      Thanks so much! Here's more source info (see bottom of post for link to the Expedit): http://freckleschick.blogspot.com/2013/05/basement-reno-quinns-playroom.html

      The rug in Quinn's room is a wool & jute rug from Target from 2011.

      Hope this helps!

      Delete
  27. Found you at I Heart Organizing. I just love what you did with the Lack table. I wish I had thought of something like that when my daughter was small. Doesn't matter she had her little table that her cousins had before her. Now she is 15 and still draws and paints and is very talented, I have to admit.

    ReplyDelete
  28. How wide is your paper roll from michaels? We can only seem to find 18" wide and that's too big.

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Michael's roll is approximately 15.5 inches wide. We were able to cut the wider IKEA rolls down to this size by using a chop saw. Hope this helps.

      Delete
  29. Thanks for your marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading it, you're a great
    author. I will be sure to bookmark your blog and will often
    come back very soon. I want to encourage you to definitely continue your great work, have a nice day!


    My web blog official source

    ReplyDelete
  30. What an awesome idea! Thank you :) Quinn is super adorable and quite the artist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million for your kind words, Valerie! :-)

      xoxo

      Delete
  31. fantastic idea! i was about to drop $$$ for a land of nod activity table. SO glad i stumbled upon your blog...thanks for sharing! our almost 2 year old is pretty liberal with her drawing, but at $30 i can make several of these if they get too beat up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to help!! Thank you for your kind words :-) She's 4 y/o now & still uses the table woohoo! Though I think IKEA does now sell the drawing paper roll holder that goes on top of the table, gosh darn it ;-)

      Have fun!

      Delete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~