A new look for an old blog

I thought this old blog could use a different look.  Not a complete overhaul of a makeover; just a new "outfit".  So I enlisted the help of Shannon of Shannon Loves Design to freshen things up around here.  That she did!  I love the simple, subtle watercolor look (especially that painterly stroke--very fitting for this DIYer).  If you're looking for a new blog design (or just to freshen up your current one) and/or a graphic designer, I highly recommend Shannon Loves Design.  She's prompt, professional, friendly, & inherently creative.  Thank you, Shannon!


A few other bloggy things:

* Shannon created a custom "Pin It" button for me (a feature that caught my eye when I first saw it on Holly's blog).  If I may be so bold as to assume that you might want to Pin something from this blog, it's easier than ever.  Just hover your cursor over the photo & a "Pin It" button should appear.  Click on the button & voila.  {I'll let you know when we've figured out a way to Pin my sarcasm.......}




* I'm (finally) adding a tour of our house to the House Tour tab (see top of page).  Until now, that tab was empty & my so-called House Tour was just an empty promise. HA! I'm working on it, slowly but surely.

* I've said it before & I'm saying it again. In these days of Pinterest, Instagram, & various other DIY/social media outlets I'm truly appreciative of you taking the time to drop in on this old blog of mine.  Even more appreciative when some of you leave a comment!!  That wonderful feeling never gets old.  I love the opportunity to continue "our conversation" if you will, but a lot of you don't have an email attached to your profile or comment (the "No Reply Blogger"; I was one once).  My more popular sarcasm sister Cassie wrote a very helpful blog post about this & how to fix it.  You know, only if you want to.  This way, I can email you back to thank you for your comment or to answer any questions....late at night when I do most of my blog stuff....usually buzzed up on Cabernet Sauvignon.  My intentions are good.
via }


* And to round it all out, lately I've been turning over in my mind this poignant post by the lovely Lauren.  This gal has been thru quite a lot as of late, yet she manages to write as gracefully (witty, always) as ever.  Blogger or not, I'm taking her advice to heart.  I blog because I enjoy documenting my life & my family.  As with anything in life, doing something for the wrong reasons (be it popularity, approval, constant attention) is when it all becomes a burden.  Blogging is no exception, at least for me.  All this to say: with my blog's fresh new look, I'm working harder than ever to not stray from my old blogging roots.  For me, it's never been about blogging for recognition. That's never been the goal.  It's always been about remembering this life of ours, maintaining perspective, & appreciating the community & kindness of friends (you!) I've made along the way.
As always, I thank you for reading!



And of course, Happy Father's Day!
Especially to the best daddy dude Quinn & I know:

{ via my Instagram @freckleschic4 }


47 comments:

  1. Looks awesome! And the big/small thing is so true. Gotta do it for the love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new look and this post - I hadn't read Lauren's post and it is excellent (and SO true). Keep being you - that is why we are all here!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new look! I stumbled across your blog a few years ago and have been reading ever since- first time commenter though. I am a a fellow Boulderite and I love the small glimpse I get into your decor and life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The site looks great! Love your blog and sarcastic humor but rarely comment. I'll work on that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the new look, the watercolor is so fresh and light :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your blog and especially your sarcasm :). You make me smile and remember the days of small children and all the funny (and not so) things they do. I also follow you on instagram (revpeggysullivan) and love the pictures of Quinn. Keep writing and know that you are sharing light & joy far and wide and making people realize that there is much to celebrate in the every day ordinariness of being your authentic self."

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great new look! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the new outfit on your blog. It fits perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the new look, your appreciation of a good cab (the only way to write blog posts in my mind), and your sasrcasm. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for the kind words! You made me blush. :)

    Shannon
    Fabulously Vintage
    Shannon Loves Design

    ReplyDelete
  11. very pretty, I love the buttons and the colors :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the new blog look and I'm pleased you are doing a home tour. It's much easier than peeking through your windows.

    Although I plan to do both.

    Also - love that pin it button. I've been wanting to try that myself.

    And thank you for sharing that blog post about blogging. So very true and really resonated with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, this is why we haven't met yet....we're never home b/c we're busy out stalking the other person.

      Thanks, friend, for reading all these years. So glad we're blog buddies!!

      Delete
  13. The new design looks so great! Making a pin it button has been on my list of things to do forever - maybe the fabulousness of yours will finally inspire me to get on that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Anne! Me too, that Pin It button has been on my running list of bloggy things....SUCH a sense of satisfaction when I crossed that off my list. What is it about writing things down just to be able to cross it off?! ;)

      Delete
  14. I've been toying with a redesign myself. I'm kind of proud of those of us who have stuck it out over the years despite lulls in our blogging. There are hundreds (thousands?) more blogs around since we started and I sometimes feel like the whole thing took off without me. But I'm happy to still be here and happy to still see some familiar names. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO!! Are we the originals or what?! Blogging is a whole different world now. I often think this whole DIY/design blogging thing took off w/out me, too.....I struggle w/ taking it all to the next level. In the end, I'm happy where I'm at & that I have the chance to connect with friends like you =)

      Give Bax a hug for me!
      xoxo

      Delete
  15. I'm stepping out of my blog-lurking corner to let you know this little person is always reading your blog and have been for so many years. We have lived in three different homes during that time! I've always loved your sense of style and your humor/personality is totally my jam.

    Love the new look. Snazzy!

    Also, Sebastian is now trying to master using a telephone so he can call Quinn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't forgotten!! Thank you so much for reading all these years, my friend! It's nice to know I haven't scared everyone off with my humor ;)

      Quinn says, "Sebastian, call me maybe."

      xoxo

      Delete
  16. Ok, so for some reason the internet doesn't want me to comment on this post. I always have that trouble at your sweet little blog [my fave!] Anyhoo....would you please stop being so likable and down to earth?!?! You're making me want to come to Colorado even worse now. ;-) But, for real, I think you're the bees knees and am thankful for your friendship and you being just the most kind and genuine blogger [or friend] there is. You are awesome. LOVE you, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Third time's a charm...I must really like you! ;-) The dang internet keeps eating my comment. But, on to the important stuff--would you please stop being so dang likable and down to earth? It's making me want to come to Colorado even worse now! haha. You are so genuine and real and I say that with the utmost respect and gratitude. I am thankful you are my friend and honored to be your blog bestie. Love you, dear! Thanks for the link to Lauren's post--talk about the truth. Needed it even when I didn't think I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say, I'm sort of a big deal. ;) There's no one I'd rather be blog besties with than you!! The next time you come to CO, we are hanging out. I will reschedule my life as needed!!!! Suck it Alt, Delta Faucet thingamajiggy, Haven et al. ;)

      Delete
  18. You being you is my favourite thing about your blog. I love the new look, old friend. Quinn is lucky to have all these memories waiting for her. And I'm with Joi - we need to meet! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise, my friend!! I would love nothing more than to meet you--the woman, the myth, the legend =)

      Delete
  19. Love the new look! Subtle but so chic.....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, my friend!! Shannon's awesome :)

      Delete
  21. Looks fabulous Quinn's mama ! You're doing an amazing amazing job at everything and trying to balance it all. Its not easy..but you make it look good :)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that is the highest compliment I could hope to receive, Nimisha. :) Thanks so much for reading, friend!

      Delete
  22. I'm so thankful for blogging and thankful for meeting such awesome people like you!! Love the new look, that colour is so calm and sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right back atcha, friend!! Sometimes I struggle w/ taking this old blog to the next level but then think how there's so much competition out there. Also, would I enjoy it? Probably not. Keeping it the way it is now makes me happy! More time to foster relationships & such. So stoked we 'know' each other!! :)

      Delete
  23. I love the new look, and love your outlook! (you like what I did there?)
    I'm so grateful for blogging and real/true friendships that have come from it...how else would I have met my separated at birth twin?!?!?!?! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, but you! There are SO many DIY blogs out there now compared to when we started. But I still read yours b/c you're hilariously sarcastic (obvs) but down to earth. And you know your DIY!! Where have you been all my life?! (I must be PMS emoting.)

      Xoxo

      Delete
  24. Love the new blog design!
    I actually just switched to self-hosted Wordpress, and I've discovered that most of the time I HAVE to be a no-reply blogger. The drop-down menu usually is set up for a Google Account, Wordpress.com (diff than .org), TypePad, etc. Yours luckily has other options (so I can comment w/ my name and URL!) but I am guessing it still won't have an email account linked for me. I could do a Google Account and link to my email, but then I have nothing that links to my blog (Blogger blocks links to other blog platforms) so I basically lose/lose :(
    Just wanted to throw out an explanation for some of us!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew that! Thanks for the explanation! Now I can simmer down my ragey feelings against 'no-reply' comments ;)
      Thanks for stopping by!!

      xoxo

      P.S. LOVE your nursery, have always loved it.

      Delete
  25. hello my friend, first of, i loveee the simple design and second...pleaseee show me how to do the pin it button! i see that everywhere and it's so useful!!! I mean..it's not like i have anything cool on my blog for ppl to pin, but i guess it's cool to have lol I just love the last pix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, gorgeous gal!! I wish I had the skills to do the pin it button myself. Alas, it was a feature my blog designer Shannon cooked up for me. I love it!!

      Delete
  26. hey- thanks for the sweet link. it seems like you're doing a great job of staying fresh (new site design!) and staying true/normal to why you blog. its a hard balance to hit! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much for your kind words! I discovered your blog via my girl, Cassie & I just adore you =) I hope all is well with you, especially that darling Viola of yours!!

      xoxo

      Delete
  27. Love the new look here- well new outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You will never know how much you mean to me...my dear dear friend.

    Cheers~
    e

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~