DIY baby shower gift: onesie/sock cupcakes

When it comes to baby showers (& wedding showers), I tend to stick to the registry for gifts.  However, for my friend Sarah's baby shower, I made 'cupcakes' for Baby R (in addition to a couple other things I gifted the parents-to-be from their registry).  And hey, these are both cute & useful!


I was inspired by these cupcakes, a fun gift idea that I promptly Pinned a few months ago.
My cupcakes made from onesies & socks.


I used 0-3 month onesies. 
Since Baby R's gender will be a surprise, I went with gender-neutral colors all around.  Obviously, the smaller the onesies the easier they are to fit into those baking cups, but I also had in mind that Baby R will be a summer baby--so short-sleeved onesies in this size made sense.  Hopefully they'll fit for more than a hot minute; babies grow like weeds.

Baking cups & cupcake box were from Michael's.
I used the sock 'overhang' to contain the rolled onesie.  Worked like a charm.
(Sorry about the grainy pics.  My projects are done late at night--not ideal for blog pics.)





Super easy to assemble, useful, & fun.  I'm not usually one to give 'cutesy' gifts but I couldn't resist these.  Remembering how ferociously hungry I always was whilst prego, I just hoped that the mom-to-be wouldn't be pissed that they weren't real cupcakes. HA!!


Speaking of real, the house the baby shower took place at was really amazing.  I was enjoying myself too much to remember to snap a pic of the house itself, but I did get one of the charming poolhouse/pool/backyard where the shower festivities took place (those ironing boards were part of the onesies decorating station).  



That pool's just asking for various wine-related rowdy behavior.  
"Niles, please remove Freckles Chick from the premises." 
It's not my first rodeo.  

*:D big grin

27 comments:

  1. And yet another FC DIY project I am going to have to give a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow-looks so much better than mine!!! Maybe because I used 3-6 month onesies....and that sock overhang such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aaryn! I know, I really wanted to get bigger onesies b/c babies grow so much in those first months, but I thought I'd have trouble fitting them in the baking cups. So I took the easy way out, HA!! ;)

      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  3. Yay! I'm so glad you did a tutorial on this! I was super impressed after seeing them on instagram, you've got some mad folding skills. dude! These turned out so cute, if I were preggo I'd totally overlook the fact that they weren't actual cupcakes ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, friend! My mad folding skills only improve exponentially with wine consumption ;) And by the end of it all, I really want to eat real cupcakes. Aw thanks so much for Pinning this, dude!!

      Delete
  4. Gosh seriously, you always have the coolest thing on your blog. Cute baby, cute house and cute diy!!!! can we please hang out so I can learn like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, shucks. Thanks, lovely lady! I mostly only show the cute stuff.....baby included if she's having a good hair day ;) I don't think anyone wants to see the other stuff. You know, the crafts gone wrong & child neglect, err I mean, child learning to play indepedently. HA! ;)

      xoxo

      Delete
  5. They are so freaking adorable. A new idea for the next baby shower I go to :) Gawjus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so very much, gal!! Ha @ "gawjus". ;)

      Delete
  6. I'll take one batch of cupcakes and two of those pools please. I'm just glad they had help on hand to keep you under control ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! It won't be the first or last time they cart me off the premises.... ;)

      Delete
  7. I would almost get pregnant again just to get those onesies cupcakes as a gift. Almost. What a great gift. You are so clever! Um, also it would be a miracle baby because i will be 60 on my next bday. But those are some snazzy cupcakes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a sweet and simple gift - and not too cutesy at all! ;) that pool - gah - just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, friend!! I know, I need that pool in my life!!
      xoxo

      Delete
  9. So Cute! I just went to a baby shower, wish my gift had been half this clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, gal! I thought it was pretty cool, too....until the mom-to-be started opening fluffy rocking lambs from Restoration Hardware that cost more than my car. Gah!! ;)

      Delete
  10. You did it again. Pure amazingness. I'm not into cutesy gifts either, but these look simple enough that even I could make them! High 5 sista.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw shucks, thanks friend!! ::high 5::

      Delete
  11. Super cute! I'm totally going to do this. Thnx for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a sweet gift idea! I have a friend who is expecting and this will be the perfect little gift for her. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Brandi! Hope you have as much fun as I did making these!

      Delete
  13. what size socks did you use to make these? they are super cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I used 12-18 months socks. They had just enough material to pull over the "cupcake" to hold it all in place, I found.

      Delete
  14. This is such a sweet gift idea! I have a friend who is expecting and this will be the perfect little gift for her.
    Baby shower gifts

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~