Office Nook: how it looks now

Hi there!  A belated Happy Independence Day to my American friends! 
 I hope you all had a great weekend.

We took a short road trip to Breckenridge for the weekend, where we met up with some good friends & their families (the guys are old friends from their Phi Delta Theta days & we gals get along swimmingly).  We rented a huge, scenic weekend house that accommodated 8 adults, 7 kids, & seemed a lot cooler before several tantrums & meltdowns occurred there. HA!  There was plenty of chaos & conversations we couldn't finish due to chasing after kids.....but the laughter was plenty, the mountain/lake views were magical, the wine was flowing, & memories were made dammit!

{ via my Instagram @freckleschic4 }


I had put in some work-from-home hours before we left town & as I tidied up my little desk, it occurred to me that I haven't shown my (basement) office nook in a couple years (here's how it looked).  After the basement renovation was completed, it was one of those spaces that I wanted to pull together B.Q. (before Quinn).  It hasn't changed much (it is only a nook after all) but since I do log hours working from home these days, I wanted to show how it works for me now.  I'd say it's less "styled" & more realistic these days.  I don't need much when it comes to my work: just my computer, basic office supplies (both hidden & on display), & a desktop file.  This is where I prefer to work.  Lounging on the sofa is enticing but I'm much more productive when there's a structured setup!  

Excuse the grainy photos, lighting's tricky down there.

If you follow me on Instagram, you might remember that I got 2 ghost chairs for our dining room.  Quinn's high  chair is currently taking up valuable real estate still in use, so I moved one of the ghost chairs to my office nook.  It's surprisingly comfortable!! I will warn you that if you find yourself sitting in this acrylic chair for an hour without getting up, as I'm apt to do when I get lost in work, sweaty butt might occur.  #foggyghostchair



Of course, this "office" isn't all work. 
It's also where I wrap gifts, write thank you notes, flip thru magazines, & blog.
I received this "Live true, be you" birthday card from a dear friend last January & promptly framed it.
It's a nice reminder, especially in these days of carefully curated social media images.




Quinnie chaser by day, paper chaser by night!


And if I'm to be completely honest, this is what you'd see if photo cropping wasn't my best friend, HA!




SOURCES
wall color (Benjamin Moore Gray Owl) / desk (console table Home Goods ~2 yrs) / clear acrylic magazine holders / clear acrylic desk accessories, desktop file, & storage box (Container Store) / bulletin board (DIY) / ghost chair / confetti pillow cover (originally intended for Quinn's room) / preserved boxwood


Thanks for dropping by!!


31 comments:

  1. Cute! It looks like a cheery place to work. I feel you on the foggy chair. We have a elegant term we use to describe that situation: swassy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm now determined to use the word swassy at least once a day. Thanks for that! ;-)

      Delete
  2. You know how I want to live in your home...right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're always welcome here, friend!! Just push aside the piles of toys, laundry, & unraveled rolls of toilet paper....it's just like a luxury hotel! ;-)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! It feels so crisp, clean and fresh! Will it stay that way? I need to check out that source for ghost chairs too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, gal! Nothing stays clean & fresh around here for more than a few minutes. So goes life with a toddler, lol.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I love that thing. I got 2 of them for Quinn's eventual big girl room but might not want to part with it.....

      Delete
  5. Yes! Love that you showed that elliptical :) Keeping it real, girl. And, omg, foggy chair?! Too funny. But all jokes aside, it looks like like a pretty, bright place to work. I need to get my but in gear and finish the work in our home office. Probably will get it done JUST as we're about to move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, that's how I do. ;-) Don't ask me how to use that elliptical though as I've only hopped on it once (the hubby is the working-out type). It HAS paid for itself as an apparatus for drying laundry & slipcovers though.

      Delete
  6. Turned out beautifully! And seriously, I have to believe 145% of all bloggers strategically crop their photos {myself included - it beats having to clean when you can just push all your shiz to a corner you won't see in the photo}.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm sayin'!! I want to see bloggers' homes if we all just turn our cameras 180 degrees, ha.

      Thanks so much, girl! xoxo

      Delete
  7. :-) you made me laugh when I read 'sweaty butt might occur' ha!ha! :-) & foggy chair too :-) love your little corner' it's bright and cozy too :-) love your orange notebook too; very feminine :-)
    glad you had a great time with your family :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much, girl! Sweaty butt, it happens to the best of us ;-)

      Delete
  8. I like it - simple and easy. Though how you can get work done with a foggy chair is beyond me ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I work extremely well under pressure & with a foggy chair under me. ;-)

      Delete
  9. Lovely! A little bit similar to my one as well. So makes me like it a little bit more than other work nooks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Classy and Swassy!! (what we call ass-sweat in our house) ((did I just type that??))

    I love the light feel, honestly, I would never guess that is a basement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly, means a lot coming from you!!

      Seriously considering "Classy & Swassy" for my new blog tagline.....Nothing like a little (or a lot of) ass-sweat to bring bloggers together. I may be puny but I sure can produce perspiration.

      ;-)

      Delete
  11. This looks super cute! I love the artwork and the ghost chair just feels "at home" here.

    Are you sure the sweaty butt isn't just because you were on the elliptical? I wouldn't know because I don't exercise. Just a though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, friend!

      LOL. I wouldn't know either as I've only used the elliptical to dry my laundry & chair slipcover. But can you all just pretend that I work out & eat whole foods like the rest of blogland/Pinterest is leading me to believe everyone is doing. Wine is minimally processed right.....

      Delete
  12. Love your tasteful simplicity! Everything in your pictures make me want to pack up my collections and send them away. You have such a good balance and the office nook is a perfect example. Glad you had a fun time in Breckenridge. I've only been there in winter so I got a big kick out of seeing the pictures. Rock on with your foggy butt :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello fellow A type personality! :) Love your super organized office.

    ReplyDelete
  14. that ghost chair is awesome! i need to get one for myself

    ReplyDelete
  15. hahaha, I have a ghost chair at my vanity and know all about the "foggy chair"! Love it! And love this little nook! I just bought that card from Target the other day! For myself, haha. Is that weird? Should I write in the inside?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the nook and LOVE that you also have your exercise machine down there! Mine is in our dining room turned play room! Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loving the ghost in this space! What a great spot to work! Good for you for even having exercise equip - my butt could use a machine like that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So, so cute! That desk is just killer, and that cheery pillow in the ghost chair is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are hilarious - good to know about the ghost chair! :) Bonus points for showing the elliptical machine ...and double bonus points if you actually use it (instead of just dusting it...ahem, not that that's all I do with mine...maybe).

    ReplyDelete
  20. Simple yet a great office setup where you can focus on your task and exercise afterwards. Thanks for sharing this idea to the readers.

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~