A lantern light

Thanks a bunch to the witty/talented/genuine/Haven dream team member Chris of Just A Girl for featuring our little budget kitchen makeover recently!!  Chris & I have been blog buddies for ~5+ years, which is like an eternity in BlogLand.  I really just need to stop visiting her blog because her projects, humor, & all-around awesome just puts me to shame. #bloggerproblems  If you're looking to lose control of bodily function over someone's witty goings-ons, follow her on Instagram.  
Let's get weird up in here & pee our pants together.

*********************************************

Got a new light for our dining room. 
Husband installed it.  
We love it.
We hung the light at 35 inches above the table.  These pics are making it look much higher for some reason.

I've been searching for a new dining room light for months (maybe years) to replace the old, standard looking chandelier.  Of course, every fixture I loved was out of our budget and/or feared too trendy.  Throughout the process, I kept coming back to the classic lantern lights but wow, did I waffle. I'm usually not this indecisive.  

Then I saw this impeccably done house by veranda{interiors} (all her designs are impeccable, what am I saying):

Love the classic lantern modernized by the bare bones structural look of the frame.  Though our little space doesn't even compare, I was smitten & convinced.  Also, the dark wood island underneath reminded me of our dining room table.  Also also, the unexpected addition of round light bulbs was right up my alley.  

I found this one that fell right within our budget (free shipping!).  
I added round bulbs, too (Target).  Quinn calls them "bubbles".

Ghost chairs from here.
Who knew they would be the most wipeable, Quinn-proof, booster-friendly chair ever?!
Score.

Our house is surrounded by these trees bearing what I assume to be olive branches.
Or they could be toxic.  Do the Pottery Barn stylists have this problem?
(I made sure they were out of Quinn's reach.)

UPDATE: They're Russian olive tree branches!  Thanks, Jessica! :-)


It's a modest space full of memories.  
Quinn throwing food & me throwing wine.
Husband throwing us "I live in a loony bin" looks.
Awwwww.


P.S. Thank you to those of you who asked how we were doing during the flooding here in Colorado.  Many thanks for thinking of us.  We're fine & grateful for it, as our friends just minutes west from us didn't fare well.  The clean-up is ongoing & the sense of community is incredible.  A friend spearheaded relief efforts via social media & the response has been overwhelming.  Rebuilding, slowly but surely :-)


33 comments:

  1. I can't believe you found that at Home Depot!? Nice score, lady, I love it! The hubs has decided we need more "wipeable" chairs in our dining room, I'm trying it convince him ghost chairs are the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, gal!! Me either! I had written off the big box stores & decided to do a search on their site on a whim. Success! Tell Mike I totally support you getting ghost chairs :-D I want to replace our upholstered ones with ghost chairs now! The hubs would be side-eyeing me right about now.....

      Delete
  2. Hey, girl! Look at you getting all featured and stuff!! Totally deserved! Again, I am loving the lantern but, girl!! ---the blog pics are out of this world. Like really really sharp and bright and crisp! Have you been taking secret photography classes? Help a girl out! xoxo

    Love you, FC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Love Love it!! I can't believe you scored that at Home Depot!!! It looks perfect in your gorgeous room...and I love all your fresh branches! you got skillz (other than drinking)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's WHEN I'm drinking that my skillz really shine. Thanks girl!!!

      Delete
  4. It looks BEAUTIFUL!! You go girl on your Home Depot find!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. absolutely love this space ... great light ... may need to buy one : ) ...... thoughts & prayers to your friends and neighbors

    ReplyDelete
  6. That light is gorgeous and I'm insanely jealous (in a good way) of your cathedral ceilings.

    http://jax-and-jewels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! We love our tall ceilings....until we spy out-of-reach spider's webs up there or have to drag out the big-ass ladder to change a burned out can light. ;-) Thanks for dropping by, gal!!

      Delete
  7. That branch is from a Russian Olive tree :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! Mystery solved. Thanks, Jessica! :-)

      Delete
  8. Beautiful space! I just ordered a similar lantern to hang in my entry way. (it's on my "honey do" list for this weekend) I love the round bulbs you used. I'll have to check my Target for those. Very pretty pics! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. FC-
    I love the light! It definitely changes the space!
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks so perfect! Love how you have everything styled in the room as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your dining space and lantern.
    Glad to hear you're okay...I just found your blog this past week and saw your post about the wedding in Estes. I am in Greeley and was concerned for you. :) Hope things continue to go well.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  12. That light fixture is awesome! I want one. And the globe light bulbs are too cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks gal! I want one for every room!

      Delete
  13. I'm actually in the same boat. I gave our old light fixture to my mom (It wasn't really me) and I can't for the life of me find something to replace it with that won't blow the budget. I may just have to copy you :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am trying to think of the coolest, wittiest comment ever but this new light has me dumbstruck. Doesn't happen often so enjoy it (and the light). Brava ms. Freckle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey I know the feeling! I get it every time you post about your house ;-) Hope Cottage K is coming along! *cheers*
      Thanks chica!!
      xoxo

      Delete
  15. Mind sharing where your table is from...I'm in love :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The table was custom made by a local carpenter we found on Craigs List! :-)

      Delete
  16. I'm crazy about that lantern light fixture! The entire dining area is perfection; great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That lantern fixture is to die for. Your 'modest' dining room looks like a magazine, which is more than I can say about my dark red dungeon! Glad you are not under a bunch of water. I'm sorry to say I had no idea there was flooding there...I guess I'm not up on my news. Like flood waters would dare to mess up your house!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's absolutely perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Everything about this space is beyond gorgeous. I just drooled all over my keyboard!!! **swoon**

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, gal!! I can the same about your WHOLE HOUSE!! Between the two of us, we keep keyboard makers in business.
      xoxo

      Delete
  20. I just popped over to see if anything else was new...and imagine my shock to find no new post. 15 days later. Awesome. #drippingwithsarcasmfont #loveyouanyway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duh you know my posting schedule always allows for AT LEAST 17 days in between. It's how I make the big bucks. My next Google Adsense paycheck will be in 2014. Tory Burch boots, here I come!

      Delete
  21. Love that lantern but how bout we talk about those chairs for just a second! My goodness they're dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, friend!! The camelback chairs are starting to succumb to Miss Quinn's antics ha! And those ghost chairs are surprisingly the most Quinn proof thing in our house!!!! Who knew?!

      Thanks so much for dropping by, you're the best!

      xoxo

      Delete
  22. Where are the upholstered chairs from...LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The chairs were a Sears purchase a few years ago & are no longer available. These are similar:
      http://www.worldmarket.com/product/beach+harper+dining+chairs%2C+set+of+2.do?page=2&from=fn

      :-)

      Delete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~