My little 'Madeline'

In an old house in Paris 
that was covered with vines
lived twelve little girls in two straight lines.....

.....the smallest one was Madeline.

She was not afraid of mice--
She loved winter, snow, and ice.
To the tiger in the zoo 
Madeline just said, "Pooh-pooh"......

......and nobody knew so well
how to frighten Miss Clavel her Mum.

This year was Quinn's first time trick-or-treating (we thought she was too young last year).  Madeline is the only story she sort of sits still for; fitting as she's quite the fearless little one just like Madeline herself .  So I assembled my own version of a Madeline costume for her, fully aware that next year she'll have an adamant & definite say in what her Halloween costume will be.  Might as well relish my creative freedom now ;-)  

Quinn wasn't stoked during the costume's trial run the day before Halloween.  She prefers to be naked these days.  On Halloween, either she believed my lie ("You love wearing this!") or she quickly caught on that candy was involved......well, she ended up not minding the ensemble.  Long johns & all.  Why is Halloween always frigid around here?  We went trick-or-treating with a group of wonderful neighbors & Quinn had a blast.  She lasted 7 houses, which was a miracle in my mind.


Also had the first Kit Kat & Twix of her life.  Those are organic, right?  By the look on her face, it was like she had just eaten a rainbow covered in clouds dipped in a sweet hug.  Sort of like how I look when I take that first sip of wine at noon night.

I hesitate to call this a DIY Madeline costume, as there are so many great, handmade ones floating around out there in BlogLand.  I didn't sew a stitch--suck it Pinterest.  The blue dress with lace peter pan collar was from ebay. It's navy versus the traditional royal blue so at times I thought she resembled Mary Poppins.  Madeline's straw chapeau was from a discount store.  I added red/black ribbon from my stash to the ensemble.  Quinn already had the Mary Jane shoes. It all came in under $20.


And that's all there is--
there isn't any more.

:-)

*excerpts from Ludwig Bemelmans' Madeline

P.S. We didn't dress up this year, but here's that one time I was Waldo in 2010.  
Awful maybe. Or was it awesome?


40 comments:

  1. Her costume was PERFECT!!! I love that she likes wearing hats... so cute. :) And I'm very impressed that these were her first kit kat & twix bar. Strong Mama. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, friend!! And I believe we've opened Pandora's box with the candy. She's been asking for candy every day since. Here kid, eat some fruit--it's nature's candy. She's not buying it.

      Delete
  2. Awww! That was the cutest thing ever! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your description of Quinn eating that first piece of candy! So true! I still remember the first time my nephew had M&Ms. Can't believe she made it through 7 hours of trick or treating. Watch out now because that girl has got endurance.

    http://jax-and-jewels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, it was 7 houses she made it thru! At which point she had had enough & demanded to go home to inspect the fruits of her labor ;-) That first piece of candy was hilarious!

      Delete
  4. Words can't even describe how cute I think this is. The kind of costume that I love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the sweetest little costume I've ever seen!! LOVE it, she's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute cute cute!!! I love this idea! Also still laughing about the rainbow covered in clouds dipped in a sweet hug. Awesome- that's probably how my little guy will feel when he has his first taste of candy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super adorable! But where was Miss Clavel? You would have made an adorable nun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks, S! I should've dressed as the nun Miss Clavel! It would've been sarcasm at its finest ;-)

      Delete
  8. She is beyond adorable...and lucky you only had to go 7 houses!! we had to stay out until every last porch light was off!!!!!!! But you should see our haul...should last us until next week. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALL the houses?!? I wouldn't last. Was whining by the 3rd house (me, not Quinn). ;-)
      xoxo

      Delete
  9. My girls love that book :) And Quinn is just the cutest little Madeline. Love what you pulled together for the costume!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! The Madeline books were favorites of mine when I was little, too! As for the hubby, he'd never heard of it so I made him read it. He finished, closed the book, & said "Miss Clavel's creepy." Banning him from reading the others.

      xoxo

      Delete
  10. Q, looks darling as Madeline such a sweet costume idea :) love it

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sending your "lie" to my mother - that is hysterical and she'll definitely remember doing this to me. "You LOVE wearing this!" I'll eagerly await the days that brainwashing works on my daughter :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! She looks so dang cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. She is adorable! And that costume is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this so much! I've been pinning to a board for a Madeline birthday party (for in the future, when she'll damn well appreciate it!). Quinn is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I know, I'm fearing next year's Halloween costume & birthday party.....will it be the year of Disney princesses & jumpy castles?!? Ack!!
      Thanks, friend!

      Delete
  15. Two things. 1. Quinn was THE most adorable thing ever. Madeline is the best! 2. Where's Waldo may have been my favorite thing ever growing up. I had a rediculous number of the puzzles. Used to keep me busy for hours. My mom used to tell me it was good brain excersise. Now I know it was just to keep me occupied!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million, friend!! LOL!! So what you're saying is Waldo paraphernalia might be the best babysitter ever....I'm about to Amazon it up & buy all the Waldo things!

      much love
      xoxo

      Delete
  16. I love that she can wear her dress again. I'm not a fan of spending tons of money on something they can only wear for one night. She looked adorable! My daughter had her first Milky Way and it was pretty much the same reaction :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I want a Quinn doll for Christmas. Or maybe a Dashboard Quinn to entertain me in the car. Hubby is right, Miss Clavell is creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! Hands down the best comment ever. EVER! Thanks, friend :-)

      Delete
  18. Oh my goodness!! This is seriously the most adorable thing I have EVER seen! Quinn makes the most darling Madeline!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't get over Quinn's cuteness and her sweet costume!! And I can't remember how I found your blog but the Waldo post was the first one I read and got hooked on. #truestory

    Nemixtli

    ReplyDelete
  20. She is just too cute. The cutest Madeline, ever!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this costume and I just simply love her. She's fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved the Madeline books when I was a girl. This is such a sweet costume

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, adore them when I was a girl! Thank you, Melinda!

      Delete
  23. Absolutely gorgeous. Its wonderful to see kids in costumes that are sweet and innocent and not scary.
    Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolutely gorgeous! Its nice to see kids dressed in a costume thats not scary.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I said it on Instagram but I'll say it again - you did so good, FC! Your little Madeline is parfait (:

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~