Ballet shoes, a quote, & a pillow

Is anyone else experiencing a holiday hangover like I am?  Not that I'm complaining as I do love this festive time of year before we roll into the doldrums of January.  If you celebrate Christmas, I hope yours was a joyful one!  We had family from Austin, TX staying with us.  Quinn's Papa, Grandma Susie ("Sushi" as Quinn calls her), & aunties came to visit.  Along with her other aunt & uncle who live in Colorado, we had good times indulging in food, drink, & merry merry.  Of course Quinn was spoiled with many gifts from everyone including her Papa & Nana from Iowa (miss you!) as evidenced here & here.  Gifts aside, we felt very blessed to celebrate with loved ones.

Here to share small additions to Quinn's room that I made back in the fall.  
The fact that I'm posting these this year, that at least earns me a cookie right.  
I signed Quinn up for toddler ballet back when she was 17 months old & while she was skeptical at first (& refused to wear tights) she truly loves anything to do with ballet now.  
She's taken to reaching for her ballet outfit the minute she wakes & finding Angelina Ballerina on the iPad.  I often turn around to see her doing a wobbly arabesque, losing her balance, & crashing into a wall.  Then she bounces right back up & does it again.

Quinn outgrew her very first pair of ballet shoes months ago & I decided to frame them (not professionally preserved but it'll do).  So I did. What I also did? The ugly-cry.  I'm not a gal who's all about the feels, but I did get sad about the fact that she won't ever be this little again.

Sidenote: my 2 year-old currently wears size 7 toddler shoes. When she was born, the nurses joked that they almost ran out of ink/paper whilst doing her footprints.

I snipped some blooms from my filled-up Rifle Paper Co notebook.
Also framed a kick-ass quote by Kate Forsyth's The Witches of Eileanan (printed on gold marbled paper from Paper Mojo).  It was a long ago sleep-deprived-insomnia-induced-post-partum purchase.

Balloon "art" DIY here.

Hey!  Made a pillow cover from a Target towel on clearance ($3).  
It's a whimsical print on a thick, super soft terry cloth.

She didn't have a class this day.  
Just doing chores in her ballet outfit.  Or not doing chores.


See you in 2014!!

23 comments:

  1. She's a doll :) I love how you framed her shoes and the word art is perfect! What a cutie and I love that she calls him "Sushi"...xo Kristin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, gal! Also, I wish I had a cool nickname like "Sushi", how come the grandparents get all the fun?!
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. I totally hear you on the holiday hangover. I always keep the tree and decorations up till January 8th to respects JEGs Ukrainian Christmas on January 7th, but this year I wanted to tear them down yesterday. I was just over it this year.

    Love the framed ballet shoes! I still have my first pair of toe shoes from when I was in high school. I have this dream of doing a ballet-inspired nursery if I ever have a girl.

    This of course means I am destined to have a heard of boys. Also, my 2 year old is a size 7 and is pushing into 8s already. I hear you on the bg feet!!

    Happy New Year! Xo
    LB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I don't know if it's b/c I saw holiday stuff 24/7 on Pinterest, IG, blogs, oh my?! We're leaving our decor up until New Year's Day but then it's buh-bye suckas.

      Love that you still have your toe shoes!! And that Hunter has big feet! Can you imagine if our kids had kids--those feet would be the topic of conversation at family get-togethers.

      Totally normal.

      xoxo

      Delete
  3. Such a cute idea. I don't even have kids and I got sappy.

    http://jax-and-jewels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting sappier by the day in my old age ;-)
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. LOVE the craftiness. And I totally get the ugly cry. Google + sent me random Katherine pictures set to music from this year and even THAT computer-generated nonsense got me all "MY BAYYYBEEEE!!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine's so adorable, I'd be clutching my monitor & sobbing over how fast she's growing too. MY BAYYYBBEEE!! And she's not even mine ;-)

      Delete
  5. I love that you framed them. Such a great way to preserve them and get to enjoy them, too. And I love that she's wearing her ballet outfit (uniform? what do we call that?). She is too stinkin' cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sweet, I think I would have done the ugly cry too! Love love love the framed shoes too!|

    ReplyDelete
  7. The shoes are darling. But that quote. Oh, it's just perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks friend! that quote makes me a sappy mess every time

      Delete
  8. ohmygoodness, now you're going to make me do the ugly cry! Is it weird that Q's little shoes make me all sappy too? Love the print and how you used your filled-up notebook too - genius!

    p.s. is size 7 large for a two year old? Alice is wearing that too, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not weird! I melted into a sappy mess when you IG'd Alice wearing your wedding veil!!!!

      We must have Amazon like kids!! Our ped says average shoes size for 2 y/o is 5-7, so our girls are on the upper end lol. Quinn started wearing 7 at 22 months & her tiny legs looked ridiculous haha!

      Hope you're feeling better gal!!

      Xoxo

      Delete
  9. Love, love her framed ballet shoes! I'm signing L up for next year and need to get her some too! She's a size 6, any suggestions on where to find some?

    Kayla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks friend! I originally looked at our local dance studio's store but thought they were too spendy especially since I knew Quinn was going to outgrow them in the blink of an eye. So they actually suggested Payless Shoes & Target of all places for toddler ballet shoes! This pair was from Payless (they were available in store so we could actually try them on). Quinn currently has these from Target online:
      http://tinyurl.com/kuul8sb

      For both pairs, we got them one size up from her street shoe size at the time & they fit well--not too loose, not too tight. Can't wait to see L in her ballet ensemble!!

      xoxo

      Delete
  10. Oh man, I love this so much. I never would have thought I would want to shadow box my girl's ballet shoes or cast them in gold, but I totally do!! Only I'm still waiting for her to outgrow her first pair. Sister is still sporting her size 5.5's like a champ! :) I'm guessing Quinn will be a solid head taller than my munchkin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, look at us being all sentimental & wanting to preserve stuff!!

      Aw Evie's got petite feet. I'm thinking Quinn will be tall for her age now & then she'll probably stop when everyone else has their growth spurts, haha! Because I honestly don't know where she gets all this stuff from....I mean I'm from full-on Asian stock. My mom's barely 5 ft tall! And the hubs, well, he's not getting drafted by any pro sports team that's for sure ;-)

      Delete
  11. OMG seriously I cant even with this! So freakin adorable. The ballet shoes are just too much. Happy New Year my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the idea of the ballet shoes framed. We're hoping to get Miss Nora into ballet either later this spring or next fall. Also, that pillow is perfection. Not as much as Quinn in her leotard though!

    Also, I totally feel you. When Nora was born they joked that her feet barely fit in the space. Was working on her baby book and realized they were right. Size 7's for us as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy sh!t! How amazing are these projects! The baby ballet shoes in shadow box and framed art is too precious and, hello, the pillow. You go with your bad self: Ms MacGyver/Martha Stewart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks a million, Suz!! I can't believe you still take the time to read my posts. I'm just honored. You're seriously my oldest reader......that doesn't sound right, you know what I mean, haha! I will always credit you/Chic Muse as the one who made me want to blog :-) Blogging's changed so much, it's weird.

      Also, the day I can MacGyver a tablescape out of paper clips, some gum, & electrical tape will be like the happiest day of my life.

      xoxo

      Delete
  14. Talk about precious! Those baby ballerina shoes are so sweet. I could cry too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~