Rustic holiday mantel: snowflakes & evergreens

Thanks a million for your kind words about Quinn's birthday!  
You know how to warm this mama's heart :-)

Does anyone else enjoy decorating the mantel more than the tree this time of year?  I do.  Last week, we got festive as uh, fudge over here (I'm working on my swearing as Quinn's like a parrot lately #supermom).  I'm not a seasonal decorator, but I do make an exception for the winter holiday season.  This year's theme was "reuse-recycle-rustic" ;-)  Except for a couple faux berry stems, I worked with what I already had.  Thanks to the abundance of evergreens in our backyard, I was able to pull together a mantel-scape we quite like.  Bonus: the evergreens smell amazing.

I'm linking up to a couple of my favorite gals Carmel & Michelle , who are hosting their Holiday Cheer in the Blogosphere Merry Mantel link party here & here.  Check out their marvelous holiday mantels, the endless other inspiring links, & link up your own!


Here's my simple, rustic snowflakes & evergreens mantel.
{I get lots of questions about that sunburst mirror.  It was an impulse buy from Home Goods back in 2008 or 2009.}
cable knit stockings (Target 2012)
wooden initials spraypainted gold (Michael's 2012)

Apparently plaid is back this holiday season?  
I've been hanging on to this plaid throw for 12 years & it finally came out of hibernation.

Though we have lots of evergreenery at our fingertips, we're lacking in the berries department.  I picked up faux berry branches (Target) & spruced up the credenza.  If you follow me on Instagram, you might've seen that I swiped Mr. FC's post-snowboarding-sore-muscles-Epsom-soaking-salts to use as faux snow in the lanterns.  It's like everybody wins (except for Mr. FC).

I probably need to stop it with the symmetry, but I cannot.
And the mudroom got in on the festive mood, too.  
More to come (hopefully before 2014).

Have a wonderful week, friends!

32 comments:

  1. Looks lovely! I'm so bummed I didn't pick up those stockings when I had a chance at Target. What could have been!

    http://jax-and-jewels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah bummer! When I picked them up last year, they only had 2 ivory stockings left & I was forced to get a green one. I guess it worked out ;-)

      Happy Holidays, Heidi!

      Delete
  2. Your mantel looks so pretty!! I can't wait to see more your mudroom :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to FINISH our mudroom, haha! Snails move slower than we do. ;-)

      Thanks so much, friend!

      Delete
    2. Oops make that, snails move faster than we do lol.

      Delete
  3. I'm jealous that you have evergreens in your backyard - all I have are dead leaves :( I love your simple display. The green and white feels fresh yet festive. Love the plaid blanket in the basket too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I'm just glad we have SOMETHING by way of holiday greenery. All these bloggers who've been scoring Trader Joe's boxwood wreaths have me green w/ envy!

      Thanks, friend & happy holidays!

      Delete
  4. Your house is always TOTAL PERFECTION, in my opinion...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for that, C! I'll keep the illusion going & won't show you the piles of laundry behind me...now I've said too much.
      Happy Holidays, my friend!

      Delete
  5. love your festive decor! That mirror was a great impulse buy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, gal! Means a lot coming from a decorating diva such as yourself! And that mirror will forever be my reasoning that impulse buys are not evil ;-)

      Delete
  6. I have trouble quitting symmetry, too. She's an alluring siren. Everything here is classy and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Symmetry, that saucy minx. Thanks gal!

      Delete
  7. The simpler the better! I love the symmetry; Everything in balance just like life with a two year old. Wait. Wrong analogy. Sorry. Anyhoo, love the quiet elegance of your holiday decs. Just like...oh never mind. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me laugh out loud!! Thanks for that, my friend ;-)
      xoxo

      Delete
  8. I love the neutral feel as it will last for months and months! Lovely job! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the very reason my color/seasonal decor-phobic self loves it, too! ;-)
      xoxo

      Delete
  9. loving the decorations!

    styleand chocolates.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks wonderful! I love the simplicity and class! Perfection my friend! And...I am glad I am not the only one who holds on to plaid. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plaid hoarders unite!!! Thanks so much for dropping by, your comment made my day my friend!

      Delete
  11. I love it! It's so beautiful and simple and modern and fresh. I've been really drawn to edited holiday decor this year and this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, gal! Me too! Maybe b/c a fresh new year is upon us but I'm all about the editing! And using what I've hoarded in my decor closet. #interventiontime
      xoxo

      Delete
  12. Very pretty and so chic. We have really similar stockings and love them. Ther'es just something awesome about the cable knit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have great taste, obviously. You were way ahead of all of us/the trend with your cable knit stockings (I remember these things thus my head doesn't have room for much else)! Take that Pinterest.
      xoxo

      Delete
  13. As always, love and adore it. Your cable knit stockings are classic. You have the touch, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the highest compliment, thanks a million!!
      xoxo

      Delete
  14. Understated and classy. Just like you. Haha! But really, I love it. But seriously, I wish I would've got the memo that plaid was coming back. All my 90's flannels would've looked killer.

    Duh.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made me LOL literally! #classysmartassy I know, right?! I should've saved my grunge era shirts too!!!
      (LOVED your post partum blog post, love love loved it.)
      xoxo

      Delete
  15. That mirror is amazing! For real - like I want to lick it - that's normal right? ;) Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally normal! Don't ever invite me over to your home b/c every room will have my lick marks. ;-) Thanks for hosting the link party!

      Delete
  16. Ahh, love the holiday mantle and I want that plaid throw! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend! Who knew plaid would be back?! ;-)

      Delete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~