Be mine: felt hearts

Valentine's Day holds a special place in my heart (ha, pun).  Not for its romantical notions so much; the hubby & I don't make a big deal out of it.  Give us a tiled floor or a newly installed faucet any time of the year & aw yeah, it's getting so hot in here.  In college, my roommates & I would get a bouquet of flowers for our apartment & make fancy drinks/dinner to celebrate.  Didn't matter who was single or who wasn't--it was more about the friendship & whimsy & sweetness of love in all kinds of relationships.  Love is all you need.

Quinn & I were tearing thru Michael's right after New Year's & of course, they already had Valentine's Day stuff displayed.  We picked up a bag of adhesive felt hearts & hightailed it out of there because someone had to pee (me).  I guess besides love, a bag of adhesive felt hearts is truly all you need to get the creativity flowing for some Valentine crafting.  I raided my craft closet for everything else.  "Heart" was one of Quinn's first words, so we're pretty excited for Valentine's Day around here.

Embellished one of Quinn's old barrettes.  
I left on the paper backing of the very bottom adhesive heart for obvious reasons & attached the whole thing to the barrette with a dot of hot glue.
I shared on my Instagram the little heart banner we made.  The DIY gold glitter bunting was actually left over from Quinn's birthday.  We stuck on felt hearts for fun (that lasted all of 4 minutes).  Sure I went back afterwards & straightened out some of the hearts but she didn't notice.....she was too busy sticking hearts all over the dishwasher & probably the dog if we had one.  Those dimpled hands.
The other night, I busted out my trusty old rolling alphabet stamp to make quick & easy Valentine candy pouches for Quinn & a couple of her buddies. I'm going to enjoy this leisurely time because by next Valentine's Day I'll probably be sweating over 20 Valentines for her preschool class.
They were inspired by these sweet Valentine bags.  I had the muslin bags on hand from a baby shower I co-hosted a couple years ago, but they can be found at any craft store.  I thought they could be reused for toting around those funny toddler treasures they always seem to find (like rocks or tweezers...just my kid?)
Have you had these gummy hearts from Whole Foods? They're colored using beet extract but you'd never know it by the yummy cherry taste.
Yes, I do look for dye-free foods or vegetable-dyed foods, but I'm not OMG insane about it.
And if you need someone to help/not help with your Valentine's Day crafts, I can send this gal over.
Her current fave phrase is "No please."

As always, I heart you for dropping by =)

36 comments:

  1. Um, look how many adorbs thing you made from just one little pack of felt hearts!!! I love. Get your creative on, girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I know! I've been seeing felt hearts in my dreams. Quinn even had one stuck to her bum the other day ;-)

      Delete
  2. haha NO PLEASE. Adorable. Luca just started saying "NO!" - usually with a really cute intonation but every now and then he barks "NO" and points his finger at Jay. Which (embarrassingly) he totally learned from his mama. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol @ "NO" & finger point! Luca cracks me up. These little rugrats are like sponges! It doesn't bode well for my swearing habit.

      Delete
  3. Beet extract! Are you kidding me?!?! Actually I took a healthy cooking course and the instructor told me she was working on a way to use beets to color red velvet cake, so I imagine this is the same thing. I might have to give this a try.

    http://jax-and-jewels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?!? I remember thinking what is this crazy talk. My friend has used beet to color red velvet cupcakes & they were AMAZING. Apparently red velvet cake mixes are the devil when it comes to crazy chemicals, who knew?! Love that you took a healthy cooking course!
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. I just gotta say...you have the most beautiful daughter! I've got to get one of those rolling alphabet stamps too. So many possibilities with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, thank you so very much for your kind words, Lisa!! You sure made this mama's day!! (The alphabet stamp is incredibly fun. Well, my idea of fun anyway. So wild ;-)

      Delete
  5. Love them! Also, gold glitter banner! Hello! xo Kristin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never say no to gold, amIright??!? Thanks, gal!!
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. Your genius never ceases to amaze, but it's pretty obvious the real talent here is Quinn (you've taught her well). I loveeeee the bags and if didn't already choose the lazy, cellophane bag route I would be all over this. Next year...
    Good work Girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh stop! (Just kidding keep talkin'....) Thanks so much, friend! Yours & Wren's Valentines this year are the sweetest I ever did see. I'm looking forward to the day when Quinn will sit for longer than 5 minutes to do crafts. Until then I'm just going to laugh at her antics behind my hair. I'm so never cutting my hair for this very purpose.

      Stay warm!!!

      xoxo

      Delete
  7. So simple, so sweet! I'm also envious that you have a Whole Foods nearby (yes, I live in a weird time-warpy, out-of-touch rural-ish area) -- and I hate me some fake dyes. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, gal! Fake dyes are the pits.
      Ha! I feel I live in a weird time-warpy, rural-ish area for not having a Trader Joe's nearby ;-)

      Delete
  8. Luuurve the banner, even if it didn't last very long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, L! At least I got some entertainment out of watching Q try to unstick the hearts from herself. I didn't help right away. Super mom ;-)

      Delete
  9. Look how crafty you are, I'm impressed! I still need to get one of those rolling alphabet stamps, so many things I could use that for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, B! Spending a night crafting with that rolling alphabet stamp is my idea of a good time. #sowild ;-)

      Delete
  10. hahaha, "no please". At least she said please ;) Nice work making so many crafts out of those adhesive hearts!! This is awesome and easy for toddler hands, I may have to go get some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, at least she said please ha!
      Thanks, gal! The felt hearts were a hit with Quinn, even if it was just for a few minutes. The next several minutes I was pretty entertained by watching her try to unstick them from herself. Is it bad that I laughed at her behind my hair?!

      Delete
  11. One, I like cherry flavored anything and those gummies look gooood! Two, I'm thinking those felt hearts would make cute magnets! How thoughtful of you to make little treat bags. Maybe I should make Theron's buddies some? Maw Maw and Paw Paw would love them. lol! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Maybe I should make Theron's buddies some? Maw Maw and Paw Paw would love them." Omg, you killed me with that, still laughing!!
      Ooh, magnets, now that's a crafty idea. I've been seeing felt hearts in my dreams ha!
      Hope you're enjoying your snow day, my friend!
      xoxo

      Delete
  12. So cute!! She is gorgeous!! Great craft....thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words!!
      xoxo

      Delete
  13. I heart you and Quinnie's dimpled hands! And yes, I will be using "No, please" in every conversation from now on! :) Have a lovely day, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We heart you back!!! Speaking of dimples--I so envy yours!! Is that weird? The only dimples I have are on my thighs ;-)

      Delete
  14. You are adorable, and so are those dimpled knuckles. I love them too. My 3 year old still has just a hint of them and I sure will miss then when they go. These are the sweetest projects! And, dang it, I need start making a thousand Valentines for all the preschool friends, don't I??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, friend! I'm usually not this into the holidays especially the heavily Hallmarked ones. Those dang felt hearts did it to me! I wouldn't be surprised if one's stuck to my ass right now.

      I'm going to miss those dimpled hands, too. And her chubby little toddler chin(s). I don't know if making a thousand Valentines will be easier when those little dimpled hands want to "help" next year either. ;-)

      Delete
  15. no please, omg that kills me! She is so adorable I want to eat her up and not those heart candies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a sly one....albeit polite ;-) Thanks so much, my friend!!
      xoxo

      Delete
  16. It's official. I need an alphabet stamp. (Yes. That's what I took away from that.)

    Love all your crafts. "Move over, Martha. FC is coming through with hearts stuck to her back. I don't think she knows Quinn put them there."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! "Martha, could you check my butt.....there might be hearts stuck there, too.

      Thanks for that, friend ;-)

      Delete
  17. How do you keep a straight face with this kid? She kills me every time. I was thinking of you today while I was painting...endlessly. Love reading your blog and seeing The Daily Quinn. You never said how the potty training turned out...there are a couple of moms at church who are both potty training twins and it makes me giggle how many times they exit stage right during the service. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laugh at/with DivaTot all day long (mostly behind my hair, probably won't ever cut it for this very purpose). Thanks so much for indulging my Daily Quinn antics! It's nice to hear that someone else finds her as entertaining as her old mom ;-)
      xoxo

      Delete
  18. So cute! Seriously, you are such a supermom and Q is so lucky to have you as her mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I want to be at your house for Valentine's day. Seriously. So darling. I love that sweet little Q. And all of these projects are so so cute.

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~