Lucite love: new-old coffee table

Happy St. Patrick's Day!  
We don't have a lick of Irish heritage in our families (that we know of).  I tried explaining leprechauns, pots of gold, & shamrocks to Quinn yesterday but she gave me a sympathetic "Lady, you so crazy, put the wine down" look.

You might've seen our "new" coffee table on my Instagram a couple months ago.  I've wanted a lucite table in the living room since before Quinn was born. Since before Pinterest ;-)  CB2's Peekaboo table was always on my wishlist but even its affordable price was a tad high for me.  We tend to "love" our furniture too much around here, so though we believe in investing in certain pieces (like our sofa), we usually think a bargain is out there somewhere.  Over the years, Craig's List & thrift stores have been kind to us (credenza, dining table, club chairs).  
I check Craig's List every morning whilst sipping my coffee, before Quinn starts bossing me around.  
Lo & behold, after years of scrolling, the CB2 table I coveted popped up!  Gently used & for $100 (a steal for our area).  The husband usually gives my decor ideas the side-eye until I get him drunk enough to agree but he was completely on board with this one.


Why we love it: 
toddler friendly (no sharp edges/corners), visually light, versatile, easy to shift around when an impromptu dance party breaks out. 

Here's the thing about lucite pieces:

* It can scratch easily. Since this was a used one, it came to us with a few scratches already.  And Quinn hasn't hesitated in putting her own stamp on it. We knew & were prepared for this table to develop its own "patina" ;-) Nothing's too precious in our tornado zone, I mean house.  

* That being said, the scratches aren't that visible.  Unless someone takes a jagged rock to the table....in due time, I suppose ;-)

* It easily shows dust, fingerprints, & grime.  We're fine with that.  I'd rather see it so I can clean it.  However, if you're of the out-of-sight/out-of-mind camp, this table might drive you crazy.

* I started off by wiping it down every so often with a microfiber cloth & special lucite cleaner, but one day I took one of Quinn's baby wipes to it.  It worked like a charm.  I'm not exactly recommending one use baby wipes on their lucite pieces but the wipes we use are pretty gentle.



Our house is apparently where lucite goes to die.  
Warning if you ever visit: Quinn likes to run around naked & throw herself on the table which makes the view from below awkward. Our friends like to threaten to sit in our ghost chairs naked as well.  
And when in Rome..... #kidding #maybe

Thanks so much for dropping by!

45 comments:

  1. You know I'm totally on board with this gorgeous piece of furniture!! It looks awesome in your living room. I'm with you, they are surprisingly toddler friendly (though we've yet to try the naked bum thing ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your tempered glass version looks awesome in your LR, too!! Also, naked bum is where it's at ;-)

      Delete
  2. I love it! I have/had two glass waterfall tables in my family room and I love the look. Of course, one broke so now I'm on the hunt and this was on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, J! Ack I saw your broken table on IG & might have cried a little :(

      Delete
  3. It looks beautiful - so perfect in your living room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, S! Hope you finally got home ok!

      Delete
  4. fantastic edition, so jealous one popped in on your local CL!! I've been a Lucite console table for our our bedroom, but the CB2 price gives me the sads lol - oh and BTW - I love seeing shots of your living room and that mirror swoon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the CB2 price gives me the sads too! And I figured if I was still trolling Craigs List for this damn table after 3 years, well I must love it ;-)
      Thanks so much for the kind words, friend!
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. Ohhhh, she is lovely. Of course, I am distracted now by imagining naked people in lucite chairs. Eek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, seriously come on over! The more the merrier! #notswingers ;-)

      Delete
  6. I'm not even going to ask WHO lies on the rug waiting for someone to throw themselves onto the coffee table naked. But (no pun intended) I can understand the temptation. you know how much I love your style~~ the living room is so inviting and beautiful and that rug!!! it's perfect! lol re the pot o' gold and rainbows; we are every color of Irish in this and this is our Holy Day. I made an Irish Car Bomb cake for dessert to go with the corned beef & cabbage. Happy Spring! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping someone would wonder ;-) And wait, you mean it's not normal to do that?! No wonder we don't get many house guests.

      Thanks so much, friend! Your Irish Holy Day sounds AMAZING. I would own that Car Bomb cake especially (surprise surprise). Happy Spring!!

      Delete
  7. Love it! Perfect for the room. I have a glass top table (no kiddos at home) and it is always in need of a wipe down. I noticed the last time I was at the Container Store that they have a polish/cream for acrylic to get scratches out...wonder if it would work on lucite?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, L! Ooh, I've heard of that acrylic cream, totally forgot about it! I'm making a mental note to pick up some, thanks for the reminder :)

      Delete
  8. I so love the look of lucite tables but you are braver than I am to battle the daily finger (and body) prints! And can I just say, I might need your couch. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I let the finger prints go without cleaning them....for a couple hours....rebel. #thebodyprintsarethetoughest ;-)

      Delete
  9. Score! A client of mine got the same table a while back and had the same issue with scratches. Still looks damn good though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I just can't quit this table ;-)

      Delete
  10. Awesome score! I super love lucite!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!! What a score! Continually searching for that amazing piece even when it feels daunting totally paid off! It seriously looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much, friend!! Patience is not my strongest virtue so I'm shocked that I waited for this one to come along ;-)
      xoxo

      Delete
  12. What a great blog you have and I loved that post. I have always admired lucite furniture and the table looks great in your living room.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Scratches, smatches. The table looks great! We "love" our furniture a little too much around here too. I figure everything in the house is temporary and chances are good they'll be covered in crayons or marker at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed!!! Great minds think alike ;-)

      Delete
  14. It's so pretty! oh I love it! I bet your little one will have fun laying under it ;) xo K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a favorite past time around here. #waitwhosaidthat ;-) Thanks, gal!

      Delete
  15. I really love the way this table looks in your space! So open and airy! Great snag :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much, Carli! :) I just checked out your blog; LOVE your home!!
      xoxo

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much!! That is SUCH a compliment coming from your stylish self :) The feeling is mutual!

      Delete
  16. Love the rug! Where is it from? Has it held up ok with a toddler?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a wool Martha Stewart rug for Home Depot:
      http://www.homedepot.com/p/Martha-Stewart-Living-Layered-Faux-Bois-Potter-s-Clay-5-ft-x-8-ft-Area-Rug-MSR4534B-5/202335514?MERCH=REC-_-product-1-_-202064373-_-202335514-_-N

      We've had it for ~2 years. It's held up well to a toddler (& a big dog for a few months). For the occasional stain, we've found that using a baby wipe (I swear those things are good for everything) would take it right out versus Resolve or something. It's thick & cushy underfoot. It's wool & does shed a lot at first, just FYI.

      Delete
  17. Hope you don't mind me asking....what is the paint color of your living + dining room?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind at all! It's Valspar's Arid Plains from about 6 years ago but I think it's still part of their paint line. :)

      Delete
  18. I love that piece of coral on your coffee table! Where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Becca! It was from Michael's a few months back.
      xoxo

      Delete
  19. I love that piece of coral on your coffee table! Where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOLOLOL! So many funnies in one post. You are too much, girl. Love the table!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks so much! Isn't it funny how many different shades of tan paint there are? I think the one you picked is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh I lovelovelove that coffee table! It's gorgeous and so perfect for life with a little! And that mirror - wowza.

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~