A proper copper light & a novel

I mentioned a while back that I was a bit underwhelmed about our front stoop's light.  For Mother's Day this year, the Mr.'s gift to me was this gorgeous copper light (there was some hinting on my part ;-)  Upon returning from his business trip to Arizona, he jumped right into installing the new light, moved the original light to the back deck (which needed a new light anyway), & routed that gutter downspout away from the foundation & underground.

I spy a Frisco in the window (we're pup-sitting).

I absolutely LOVE it & surprisingly he does, too.  He's used to my outbursts like "Hey hold this home improvement thingy up so I can see how it looks!" & "I'm going to paint!  Again!" & "I want to buy ALL the things!" Or maybe he's just given up.....the guy deserves an award for putting up with me for the past 15 years.  Thanks & I love you, dude!!

Some paint touch-ups are in my future (on the house & that doormat I DIYed).


In unrelated but exciting news, my friend Rachel's debut novel is out & we're so proud of her.  I'm utterly blown away by her work!  She's one of the sincerest, hardest-working, funniest people I know.  Our kids are buddies as well.  While I was lamenting my lack of sleep with a baby, she was lacking sleep with twin babies AND writing a novel AND working outside the home....what was I complaining about, again? ;-)  I consider myself an avid reader, but these days I don't often get the chance to start (let alone finish) novels.  Let's just say Point of Direction was so riveting, I wasn't able to put it down....stayed up way past my bedtime.  If you're looking for an adventurous & incredibly satisfying story check it out!  I hope you enjoy it as well :-)


"...a strikingly vivid debut novel." -Oprah Magazine
Point of Direction is the story of a young couple who decide to become caretakers of a remote lighthouse in Alaska, where the previous caretaker disappeared over twenty years ago. What starts out as a grand adventure, quickly deteriorates as secrets they each hold from the other and an uncertain danger lurking in the nearby waters threaten to unravel them as the winter weather presses in. A story of resilience, survival, and forgiveness, Point of Direction is a fast paced adventure story that Oprah Magazine called a "strikingly vivid debut novel."


22 comments:

  1. That light fixture looks amazing. And you're hubs I'm sure has dished out his own brand of crazy a few times over the years, so it's all even.

    http://jax-and-jewels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh don't even get me started on the crazy in our household ;-) Thanks, gal, we're so digging the light!

      Delete
  2. Well first of all I was drooling over that light already on IG and I'm so in love with it. I think I would love it in a bathroom too!!!
    And that is so cool that your friend wrote this amazing novel. I have to find some time to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, J! It would look amazing in a bathroom! I know, finding time to read these days is near impossible...do mags count?!

      And I just realized that I linked to your blog when I mean to link to the Home Depot light haha! I was in the midst of adding you to my blogroll & writing that post. Multitasking! So maybe you got a tiny bit of traffic from me this morning?! ;-) Because you're awesome.

      xoxo

      Delete
  3. I'm so excited!!!! I have your friend's book on my reserve list at my local library here in Michigan. I can't wait to read it!!! Love your blog..... Michelle in Michigan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So fun to hear this! Thanks so much for your support, Michelle!
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. You are friends with a novelist?! Clearly we run in different social circles! Love that light!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm that friend amongst talented individuals who has nothing to contribute except my wit & sarcasm. And even that's hit or miss. At least they can always count on me to bring a bottle of wine or two.

      Delete
  5. That copper light is beautiful! I'm still pretty impressed with this whole addition. Enjoy your Mother's Day gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Nikki! Happy Mother's Day to you!

      Delete
  6. That light is amazing! I've been thinking about it since I saw it on IG and need to get a copper fix somewhere in my house...
    And thanks for the great book tip - I'm always looking for a good new novel so will definitely check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, B! I'm so into copper lately...perhaps as much as gold! Wait, what am I saying.

      Hope you enjoy Point of Direction, too. I'd recommend it even if I wasn't friends with the author ;-)

      xoxo

      Delete
  7. The book sounds awesome - I need some new reading material! Thanks for sharing. And OF COURSE the copper light is to die for. Thump. I just died.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That light is smashing. And I need a book for my vacay next week - thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The light choice is genius. And I'm getting that book ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um. LOVE. That. Light.

    I never would have thought to try copper, but now I want it. From now on, I'm just going to wait to make any home decor decision until you do it. Because then I will just copy it since I always love your decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous light! The perfect choice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome! We just installed 2 of the same lights above our patio! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The copper looks so good with the colors of your home. Great choice and great hubby for getting it for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy moly I LOVE it! That is one pretty light lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's beautiful! I'm so loving fixtures in copper, brass and gold now.

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~