So long, SoCal

It's been a while since my last trip recap because, well.....it's been a while since we've gone anywhere noteworthy.  We just got back from seven glorious days in Encinitas, California.  Why Encinitas?  The Mr. used to spend summers there, where his best friend's dad had a sprawling house overlooking the coast.  I was obviously friends with the wrong people ;-)  A few years ago, the dudes started their own tradition of taking a dude-bro surf trip out to Encinitas.  This year, the Mr. wanted to bring us crazy gals along & so we decided to make it a family vacation.  

It was a great trip, albeit a little less relaxing than vacations used to be (side-eyeing Quinn).  The SoCal weather was perfect, the waves were epic, & above all else we LOVED experiencing everything thru Quinn's eyes.  Parenting a toddler has its moments, but I'm being honest when I say that it's truly a pleasure & privilege to be raising this spunky little gal (minus the meltdowns).

We rented a cottage just a couple blocks from one of the beautiful beaches.  In between, we explored La Jolla/the Cove, Carlsbad & Solana Beach.  We took Quinn to the Aquarium and a gorgeous Botanic Garden (where there was an amazing tree house for kids that Quinn was obsessed with; we had to literally throw her over our shoulders to carry her kicking & screaming out of there).

We ate our weight in fresh-caught seafood, dining al fresco 95% of the time.  Quinn developed a love for salmon sashimi (raw) & shrimp.  And of course, we clocked in plenty of beach time.  

By far my favorite time of each day was after dinner when we'd gather up a couple towels, a bucket of beach toys, the Mr.'s surfboard & trot down to the beach to watch the sunset.  There were only a handful of us, all spread out, each winding down from our respective days.  Seeking the calming energy of the ocean washing ashore & the invigorating salty evening breeze.

{Some of these are from my Instagram}

The perils of wearing anything strapless around a toddler 
(I forgot my halter strap back at the cottage) ;-)

I had the pleasure of popping into Bixby & Ball, a chic lifestyle boutique with the coolest storefront, while we were in Solana Beach's Design District.  Co-owner/interior designer Melissa & I have been Instagram friends for a while & I'm so thrilled that I had a chance to meet her.  Instagram worlds colliding!  She is just as fabulous/hilarious in person; there was a bit of poking fun at ourselves & our InstaWorld ;-)  Thanks so much for taking time out of your busy day to welcome us, chat & laugh with us, M!! (We couldn't resist buying a rad mirror for the mudroom from Bixby & Ball.  This design addict could've have spent many hours/moola there.)
Steps away is SoLo, another must-go for the design/vintage-obsessed (moi).

There were even a couple of urgent care visits sprinkled in.  Aside from me spraining my ankle on Day 5 & the Mr. gashing his forehead (requiring 5 stitches) on Day 7 when his surfboard fell on him after riding a phenomenal wave, it was a pretty perfect vacation ;-)

Hope your summer is swell so far!

24 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL family, BEAUTIFUL photos. Thanks for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like such a fun time and pretty awesome photos too

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you had such a wonderful time! Loved getting to voyeur into your family vacation a bit. I have been obsessing for months over one of the John Robshaw pillows above your head in Bixby&Ball but Scott might actually divorce me if I spent $200 on a pillow. I'm scheming a DIY...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures my friend!! Looks like you guys had a great time despite the injuries :0/ hope you both feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SoCal looks good on you! Glad you had fun, I'll have to stop by Bixby and Ball the next time we're headed south!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! So happy to see my home town featured on one of my favorite blogs. I've since moved to Norther Cali, but always nice to see home through someone else's eyes. Glad you had a good time (minus the e room visits!) - Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to see your vacation pictures! I love love that striped bathing suit. Do tell where you found it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, gal! It's from Victoria Secret online. :-)

      Delete
  8. Ahh, the pics are so good-so real life too. That is always so refreshing, friend. I can't believe you had not 1 BUT 2 urgent care visits! Glad you both are ok.

    And, traveling with a toddler has me freaked out. You made it seem more doable. Haha. Those meltdowns though give me the shakes. Theron's are so good. And by good I mean bad.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. your vacation looks magical, nothings better then pretty California summer days spent by the beach! You must frame a few of those pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great family vacation. Love love that photo of Quinn on your back. She's just old enough to remember this trip for the next few years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well that explains why you were wearing the boot! What a great trip!!! The photos are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So jealous of your vacay! Cutest fam. EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos!! Looks like you all had a wonderful trip minus the couple trips to ER. Sorry about those. You and I have matching boots! I hope you frame some of these. Love the one of Quinn on your back on the beach and how cute is daddy sharing tea with Quinn. Next time come up to No CA!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have THE most beautiful family. I mean, for serious. You are all models and these photos look like they should be in a magazine (I'm looking at you, photo of you and Q walking down the street to the beach and photo of you in the white beach dress). You are making my beach coverup moomoo look downright frumpy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a very memorable trip. Gorgeous photos. Especially that beautiful sunset, and Q on your back - so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like a beautiful place to visit! Love your swimsuit too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, you are so photogenic!! Thanks for sharing your vacay pictures. You three make such a cute little gang--and I loved what you said about raising Q. Every kid has their moments, but the joy you feel comes through what you write. Isn't California a great place to be? I don't think I could actually live there but I have loved every visit no matter where we've gone in Cali. Hope the rest of your summer is sweet and less trips to Urgent Care than this one. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been looking for a place to stay in Encinitas. would you mind sharing the link?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jana!
      It was vrbo #364052, the contact guy is Joe. We loved the place!
      xo

      Delete
  19. So so so dreamy! Ive been meaning to get to Encinitas after an article about it in Sunset Mag. You looked like you had a fabulous time. That second to last picture NEEDS to be framed and hung. Its such an amazing shot. Maybe Naomi and I will take a mini vacay there. Thanks so much for sharing these lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gosh Q is looking SO big these days! Her cabbage patch doll- is it old school or do they still sell those? You'd think I'd know, having a girl and all! Your trip looked marvelous, injuries, meltdowns and all! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a newer special holiday cabbage patch dolls (this one's wearing a bunny outfit) gifted to Q by her aunt but now that you mention it, I haven't seen them in stores for years! I'll have to ask b/c now I'm curious.

      Thanks so much, friend! It was such a blissful trip despite the drama ;-)

      Delete
  21. Looks like a LOVELY vacay!! I can relate to the bathing suit pulling. Amara does the same thing and actually thinks its FUNNY.....ugh! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~