Summer snack: ricotta crostini

We're finally getting around to working on the landscaping in the front yard so hopefully I'll have an update on those goings-on sooner rather than later.  I'm also realizing I never blogged about the new stoop's stain color so once I can find a shade plant that will be happy living on the stoop, maybe I can show some decent photos of that.  

Meanwhile we're doing what you all are probably doing....squeezing every last ounce of fun out of this all too fleeting summer.  I'm trying to ignore the back-to-school supplies & fall decor that have cropped up in stores.  We've been to the pool regularly, slurping popsicles & ice cream cones, chomping on watermelon, riding bikes downtown for dinner, & listening to live music in the park.  Spending so much time outdoors that we're no longer fazed by the mosquitoes & once-pressing matters like home improvements have been pushed further down the list.

What is it about summer that makes me want to throw quick dishes together with minimal stove time involved?  I mean, we're fortunate to have central air conditioning so it's not like I'm suffering in the kitchen ;-)  Recently, I threw together an appetizer platter of crostini, ricotta, & various accoutrements for a 'happy hour' when friends dropped by for an afternoon visit.  Everyone just grabbed a crostini, topped it with ricotta, & adorned it with whatever he/she pleased.  I've since stocked the fridge with these 'staples' for a quick lunch or snack that doesn't involve heat.  Bonus points for the easy prep since my little firecracker lady has been keeping me on my toes even more so lately.

I'm not a food snob nor have I ever done a Whole30 Challenge, but for the past 5 years we've tried to eat whole/organic/non GMO when possible because honestly?  It just tastes better & we feel better.  So it's why I suggest using the good organic ricotta that's most affordable (oxymoron).  Ricotta is a mild Italian cheese, slightly sweet & creamy, that complements practically every topping. 

{L to R crostinis}
ricotta, tomato trio, minced garlic, extra virgin olive oil, freshly cracked black pepper, sea salt
ricotta, extra virgin olive oil, freshly cracked black pepper, sea salt
ricotta, arugula, prosciutto, freshly cracked black pepper
You know how there are rules like drink certain white wines with seafood & certain reds with meats/pasta dishes?  I have one rule: if you have a favorite wine who cares about food pair it with whatever you like.  We discovered Dreaming Tree cabernet sauvignon a couple years ago & it's an all-around favorite, affordable red.  One that we're not embarrassed to bring as a hostess gift or for occasions.  It's robust & fruity, with notes of vanilla (& epic-ness).  And yes, that Dave Matthews is the co-winemaker.  A sip might take one back to those halcyon college days of rocking/swaying to his music, singing every word to his songs because omg you totally have every CD & went to see him live at Red Rocks.  I'm just saying this might've happened to a friend...

I obviously cracked into this bottle before remembering I needed to snap a pic:
If you're a wine drinker, I hope you try it!  My guess is a lot of people already have.  Linking up to my favorite wine blog buddy Amanda & her fun series Wino Wednesday.  Hop over for more delicious & unpretentious wine recs ;-) Link up to your own wine-related post to share the wine love! 

Kids and Cabernet

13 comments:

  1. What an awesome post! Those crostini's look SO good and Dreaming Tree is one of my favorites! I also love the Dreaming Tree red blend, I forget the name... Maybe it's Crush?
    Thanks for linking up doll! Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, friend & for hosting the linkup! Yup, it's called Crush. It's such a great mix! That Dave sure is a Renaissance man ;-)

      Delete
  2. I'm all over this!! Wine and easy summer food? Yes! I'll be picking up that bottle next time I'm out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you, N! You said it, sister. Wine & easy summer food, sign me up. Hope you like the cabernet, too!

      xoxo

      Delete
  3. YUM! Thanks for sharing. While I can get gluten free bread, I have been struggling with finding an alternative to the traditional bruschetta crostini we used to make since finding out I am allergic to tomatoes. The ricotta and pepper and the one with prosciutto would be amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer, tomato allergies are tough! I've been known to make bruschetta into a meal ;-) I've been trying to cut out dairy but I can't resist ricotta. Hope you like these too & thanks for dropping by, L!

      xoxo

      Delete
  4. Man, that crostini looks good! Thanks for the wine recommendation too! I'll be on the lookout for it. It's always fun to try new kinds of wine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. a) Wino Wednesday?? What genius!! Sign me up!

    b) Awesome recipe! I'm not much for tomatoes (no known allergy, just a snob) but it's so versatile, I can't wait to use it for my next shindig.

    c) Who am I kidding? For my next "take a nap, Mommy wants to gorge" moment. Tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE ricotta! And Dreaming Tree! Awesome pick!! I have to try these apps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh heck yeah!!! This would have been so much better than the boxed Mac & Cheese last night. Actually, I'm totally going to pick this up at the store today. Done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why am I not using ricotta cheese more often?!?!? these look yummy...and thanks for the wine rec! I guess I can splurge for more than 3-buck Chuck every now and then!!!

    And I adored every last one of your SoCal pics...love seeing your gorgeous face and adorable little body (it's getting weird, right?!)...and I want your entire vacay wardrobe!!! Kudos on the color, my love!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the little Davehead in you needs to make a pilgrimage to Charlottesville! Dreaming Tree is some sort of collaboration, but Dave owns the Blenheim vineyard here. You'd recognize the art in the lasting room. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds delicious and simple too which is a huge plus in my book! :)

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~