Spirit of the season

I remember, as a kid, time felt like it moved as slow as molasses.  But something happens to time as we get older & it seems to move at the speed of a thousand wings (as my mom always says).  

Add an excited three year-old to it all & I'm wondering how Christmas is suddenly just days away.  There are so many things I wanted her to experience this year....  Ice-skate outside at the quaint neighborhood rink!  Decorate her very own gingerbread house!  Trim a mini tree for her room!  Watch the parade of lights, front row!  Wear her very own tacky, festive sweater!  Christmas craaaaafts!

But this year more than ever, I'm mindful to slow it down & appreciate the spirit of this season.  The spirit of goodwill, good vibes, gratitude, joy....I try not to take these feelings for granted because I know that for those who have been dealt a difficult hand in life, this season might not bring about those emotions.  When Quinn gets asked by well-meaning folks "What do you want Santa to bring you?", I'll be honest here.....I cringe a bit.  We're fortunate to have a warm, peaceful home, food in our bellies, & good health.  It's more than enough.  More than some could ever even hope for.

My wish is for her to love & give & be joyful, not just around the holidays but throughout the year.  And also for her to look back on her childhood & remember how magical it was (yes, including presents).  I know, I know....she's young, let her be a kid, there's time, God willing, but my head swirls with these thoughts often.

Motherhood, man....making me feel all the feels.

Are you still here? ;-) I don't have a beautiful blogger holiday home tour for you, full of wonderfully styled rooms right down to Hunter boots stuffed with pinecones (was that me trying to cram some into my well-worn boots or did I dream that).  Other than a new roll of giftwrap, I worked with what was on hand.  

Snapshots of how we do festive around here!
A snip of backyard evergreen, a glittery pinecone, ribbon, plus a Command hook for the front door.
My thoughts on this here ;-)
Giftwrapping is all fun & games until I've done a few....then I'm all "Let's just stuff the rest in gift bags."
Quinn helped me dot the snow on the middle tag.
She also tangled all the baker's twine.
I iced (poorly), Quinn decorated.  She went to town & is so proud.  As am I.
I'd live in this gingerbread house.  Yep, definitely.
I forgot to snap a photo of the tree.  We had it set up back in October for the Home Depot Holiday Style Challenge (thank you to those who checked it out & left such kind comments!). We took it down to accommodate Quinn's birthday bash....and only just put it back up a couple days ago.  Quinn got free rein to decorate it with our old mishmash collection of sentimental ornaments as we sat back & watched.  It's kooky & glorious, I must say.

Happy Holidays to you & yours!  Wishing you joy & peace.
It's a mad, mad world out there--our nation, the world at large.
Peace is at the forefront of my mind, as it undoubtedly is for many people.

18 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful! Happy Holidays to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million, gal. Merry merry to you & yours!

      xo

      Delete
  2. All of those feels! I hope you guys have a very happy holiday season and Quinn gets in as many fantastic memories as possible for a 3 year old.

    http://jax-and-jewels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel the feels! ;-) Quinn had more fun than her little body could handle, I think haha! Merry merry to you & yours, my friend.
      xo

      Delete
  3. Love your style, as always!! So simple and clean- my house aspires to look like yours! Curious as to where your advent calendar came from? I've been looking for something very similar but can't quite find the right one- yours looks close!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million! Our advent calendar was handmade by the Mr's grandmother years ago! The attention to detail she put into it is astonishing but totally doable. Let me know if you try! I see these Pinterest ideas for Advent & think about trying them but don't have the heart to. Her calendar is so sweet & sentimental :-)

      Merry merry!

      xo

      Delete
  4. You, my friend, are a breath of fresh air. Beautiful post. And, your home is lovely in all its simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seriously cracked up about only wrapping a few gifts before resorting to gift wrap. I totally feel you.

    And your house is lovely, as always. You do festive perfectly, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you, your heart, your words, your appreciation for life and humor. Many blessings to you and your Quinn and hubs in 2015! I feel all the feels too much as of late. My husband and son just got in a car accident last night. Praise God they are okay. A lady blew thru a red light and smashed into them. Luckily she hit the car in a spot that did not harm them much. It just made me pause and remind me of how fragile life is. How in a moment your world could be turned upside down. Luckily, we are all unharmed, but it makes me hold them extra tight. I might cut off their air supply. Loved your post. Merry Christmas! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get so excited as I'm wrapping the first few presents and then I'm quickly all excited out and dread doing the rest. We'll just tuck the not so pretty ones towards the back of the tree ;) Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your simple decorated home gives me all the feels N, because its so filled with love. Quinn is lucky to have a mom who is mindful enough to teach her lessons in both gratitude and the joy of giving a beautifully wrapped gift. Wishing your family a peaceful and joyous Christmas. xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million, J!! I tell you, I've been trying to consciously feel content and present. Social media makes it difficult ha. Hello 2015 goal!

      Happy New Year, my friend! I hope your holidays were beautiful & full of the happy feels.

      xo

      Delete
  9. I think it looks beautiful, as always. It sounds like you have the right idea about the meaning of the holiday. It can get so stressful and frustrating if you let it.

    Love your doggy wrapped in a scarf. Happy Holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it looks so beautiful and I wish I could slow down time as well. Merry Christmas to you and your adorable family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a day late, but Merry Christmas FC!

    xoxo
    LB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry merry to you & yours, love!!!

      xoxo

      Delete
  12. I may be really slow but I do eventually catch up with your posts! Love you and your giving spirit. We seemed to hold on to every morsel of our holiday season this year. We were hermits and it was unbelievable. Having a tough time re-entering the real world! Q is a blessed little being to call you mommy. Come visit, now would ya?

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~