Plans for a big girl room

First & foremost, THANK YOU for reading my previous post.  It was a piece of my heart & mind put on 'paper' & it was so comforting to hear from some of you. Thank you for sharing your own emotions & thoughts....hearing your 'voice' is my most favorite part of blogging :-)

We're emerging from the holiday hangover which brought with it lots of merry get-togethers plus visiting family members (we miss you crazy Austin, TX crew).  I hope the first days of 2016 are bringing you good health, good spirits, & a bright perspective!  And that you're not still writing 2015 on checks, forms, etc. 

I don't have resolutions to share nor do I have one of those blog-year-in-review thingies because, well, I think you actually have to blog to have one of those ;-)  I aim to practice mindfulness more than ever this year.  Last year I made an effort to put down my phone & be more present......my blog & Instagram suffered but my bank of memories did not.  I hope to build on more habits like this in 2016.

A goal this month is to set up Quinn's new bed & implement some other small changes to her room.   Being the mindful mother that I aim to be, I asked Quinn for her input on how she wanted her big girl room.  My recently turned 4 year old rambled: "I want yovey (lovely) butterflies-superheroes-princesses-and-hedgehogs.  But dat is OK if you can't find hedgehogs as yong as you give me the other tings."

What the f#*$  kind of room theme did my kid just ask for?!?  I stared at her & then laughed & then covered my face with my hair because I don't think you're supposed to laugh this hard at your kid's opinions.  (I'll let you know when you can pre-order my book on succeeding daily at parenting.  Will probs be on Amazon's best-seller list.)

For lack of a better term, I'm calling this phase 'Quinn's Big Girl Room' but honestly not too many major things are changing from her original nursery reveal.  Wall color (Benjamin Moore Grant Beige), armchair, drapes, rug, & clear book shelves are all staying.  The branch wall decal's coming down.  The dresser was sold last year.  Here's the Big Girl Room plan.  Some items have already been purchased &  I WILL blog the result, I swear!  Unless I don't ;-)


feather butterflies / sconce / print / felt ball garland (locally made) / 
Folkland pillow / ruffle crochet duvet / superhero sheets / bed / hedgehog / stool


Happy 2016!

14 comments:

  1. Wonder Woman is a Princess AND a Superhero, so there's that! Maybe you can find some fun Lasso of Truth art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right lol. Quinn was Wonder Woman for preschool Halloween & she would be SO stoked!!

      Delete
  2. I love this! I love that you are embracing HER style, her likes, not just putting together a pretty room to show off on your blog. I have seen way to many nurseries and kid rooms these days that makes me wonder if the child even sleeps in the room!! Too overdone. Trust me, they grow up way too fast. Let them be a kid, be creative, be different. All too soon they are grown and trying desperately to "fit" the bill of our crazy world. Good for you girlfriend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, L! That means a lot because I really tried to listen to her wants while walking that line between decor that's fun & decor that has longevity. And I completely agree with you about the kid rooms out there these days. It's like, who's room is this....the kid's or the blog sponsor's?!? ;-)

      xo

      Delete
  3. You crack me up! And I'm most impressed with how you pulled together all of her requests. It's going to be an awesome space and I can't wait to see it so you best blog it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;-) Why is it so hard to motivate myself to blog these days?! I'm thankful for the kid otherwise I'd have no blog fodder ;-)

      I've been out of the loop lately (was nice to just unplug a bit from Instagram)...hope you're well!

      xo

      Delete
  4. Gah! I just love her and you're ability to recreate her little voice so perfectly in type! That hedgehog is quite possibly the cutest and that bed is one of my all time faves. Can't wait to see it! MISS YOU! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks love! It's coming along. Thank goodness for this kid otherwise I'd have no blog fodder ;-) Kidding! Maybe.

      Delete
  5. That Quinn really cracks me up. She knows what she likes, and she also understand that hedgehogs may not work out. She's understanding like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL "she also understands that hedgehogs may not work out". Hedgehogs might be the new status symbol. They're like the new fox.

      Thanks for always taking the time to drop by. I feel super honored when I see your name pop up.

      Smooches to Henry!!

      Delete
  6. This is going to be so good. My son is coming up on the 4-year mark soon, and I completely understand the all-over-the-place taste in decor:) His is dinos, baseball, Star Wars, and trains. I can't wait to see what you create(and maybe get some tips)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's a stellar combo. Who doesn't love dinos mingling with Darth Vader? ;-)

      These preschoolers have the attention span of a gnat, don't they? I can't keep up! It's like "I found a hedgehog for your room, sweetheart! What do you mean you're into Arctic foxes now?"

      Delete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~